ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Explain Navigation Choices + Certification

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-23, 05:34 PM
bnb2310
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain Navigation Choices + Certification

I am going to purchase an ES-350, but am confused as to the Navigation choices. I prefer to have it built-in, with no annual subscriptions, but have heard that some do require it. I understand it may not always be exact, but I do not want a bucnch of cords and phone sitting on console when I need it. . What do they call that type?. Also describe what "Android auto" can do navigation-wise. Most ES-350's have it, but not the installed NAV.

Also, I thnk I want a certified ES350, as I probably can only afford a 2019 - 2022. What are folks paying for extended warrantees that cover the same things on un-certified ones?

I refuse to talk to sales folks before I am educated on these issues.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-23, 09:17 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

The built in nav does not require a subscription, but without the susbscriptiom being active (3 years free?) you won’t get live traffic allowing the nav to pick the fastest route. But the nav will still work without it, it’ll just be like old fashioned navigation and won’t RE route you around traffic jams.

My car has built in nav, but I only used it the first day I always use Apple CarPlay (android auto is essentially the same) which uses the maps and cellular data from your phone to overlay live traffic in the navigation to pick the fastest way.

the nicest part of built in navigation ESs is they have a bigger high resolution screen. Wife has a non nav Lexus IS with the smaller screen which works fine using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for navigation, but the screen isn’t as pretty. Not a deal killer though.

if you get someone to show you how to use the android auto wireless screen sharing, I bet you’ll never want to go back. You never have to touch the phone while driving you just use the screen on the dash. It is EXTREMELY handy.

sorry don’t have answers on the warranty questions for you
The following users liked this post:
robfrmsd (11-04-23)
Old 11-05-23, 05:19 AM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
The built in nav does not require a subscription, but without the susbscriptiom being active (3 years free?) you won’t get live traffic allowing the nav to pick the fastest route. But the nav will still work without it, it’ll just be like old fashioned navigation and won’t RE route you around traffic jams.

My car has built in nav, but I only used it the first day I always use Apple CarPlay (android auto is essentially the same) which uses the maps and cellular data from your phone to overlay live traffic in the navigation to pick the fastest way.

the nicest part of built in navigation ESs is they have a bigger high resolution screen. Wife has a non nav Lexus IS with the smaller screen which works fine using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for navigation, but the screen isn’t as pretty. Not a deal killer though.

if you get someone to show you how to use the android auto wireless screen sharing, I bet you’ll never want to go back. You never have to touch the phone while driving you just use the screen on the dash. It is EXTREMELY handy.

sorry don’t have answers on the warranty questions for you
I paid $700 for 7 years 80k
Also included the factory warranty so I get an extra 3 years within miles.
bumper to bumper
plus if anything happens I’ll just go to my regular mechanic shop and the warranty is also honored.
2022 es300h UL
To begin with I did not want extra warranty
but the Finance salesman just kept asking and asking and I guess a few hours later he was like you know what how about this $700 for 7 years and 80k I was like whatever’s cause I needed to leave that dealership cause I have a 5 hour drive back home since I found the perfect color combo and options out of state.
my advice is when you
About to close the deal just don’t look interested in the warranty and it’s gonna keep dropping .
cause end of the day he need that extra money

So far the car is bulletproof!!
hey I got. 7 years for that hybrid battery just in case.

good luck on your journey!!
Old 11-05-23, 07:38 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 231 Likes on 170 Posts

I think that the CarPlay feature in the ES, until recently, was not wireless but was plug-in. In either 23 or 24, ES CarPlay went wireless which is wonderfully convenient.
Most of the built-in NAV systems have some costs because the data has to come from somewhere. The current Lexus NAV systems get traffic and weather info, as well as current POI info (gas stations, banks, restaurants, etc) downloaded instantly, so it's always up to date. (I don't know how much map data is stored in the car, but it's surely not streaming live.) Older systems get that data and the map data from a DVD or from a memory card; you have to buy these - a new version is offered every year with new roads and new POI info, but most people only update every several years.
If you have a vehicle with CarPlay, you can use several traffic apps for navigation, including Waze, Apple Maps and Google Maps. You can also easily access music and podcasts from your phone, get your new incoming messages read to you, and, of course, make phone calls. So if the car has CarPlay, you don't need an installed NAV system.
As for extended warranties, read up on the economics, and you will probably conclude to skip it; for a recent ES, self-insurance for these expenses makes much more sense.
Finally, I don't know what you mean by "it may not always be exact." If you are referring to GPS based NAV systems, they are precise to about 6 feet, which is plenty good enough.
Old 11-05-23, 09:09 AM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbungle11
hey I got. 7 years for that hybrid battery just in case.
I guess you don't realize that all 2022 Lexus ES hybrids come with a 10 year factory warranty on the high voltage hybrid battery?
landonm86 (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23, 09:48 AM
MAMOSKO
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Models with wired Carplay (and or Android Auto) are easily and relatively cheaply adapted to wireless. Several forum conversations on various options to do so, if interested.
Old 11-06-23, 02:51 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

My native NAV still receives live traffic five years into ownership. No subscription.
Old 11-06-23, 04:39 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My native NAV still receives live traffic five years into ownership. No subscription.
Rwally, that’s interesting good to know. Do you get any “nag” warnings on the display wanting you to renew the subscription?
Old 11-06-23, 05:15 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Rwally, that’s interesting good to know. Do you get any “nag” warnings on the display wanting you to renew the subscription?
Never and honestly, I wasnt even aware there's a subscription plan. Perhaps something changed subsequent to MY19?
Old 11-06-23, 07:42 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by bnb2310
I am going to purchase an ES-350, but am confused as to the Navigation choices. I prefer to have it built-in, with no annual subscriptions, but have heard that some do require it. I understand it may not always be exact, but I do not want a bucnch of cords and phone sitting on console when I need it. . What do they call that type?. Also describe what "Android auto" can do navigation-wise. Most ES-350's have it, but not the installed NAV.

Also, I thnk I want a certified ES350, as I probably can only afford a 2019 - 2022. What are folks paying for extended warrantees that cover the same things on un-certified ones?

I refuse to talk to sales folks before I am educated on these issues.

Thanks in advance
Few notes:

- get a 2020+ ES350 WITH manufactured Oct 2019 or after, you will have auto folding side mirrors, both wired Apple CarPlay (for iPhone) and Android Auto (for Samsung and other Android phones) as standard options. Prior manufactured years are either missing Android Auto, missing Apple CarPlay or missing both... What is Apple CarPlay or Android Auto? It is a software suite on your Apple iPhone or Android phone that allows you to stream some apps that running on your phone to the car's display screen, either wired via a USB cable (2019 - 2022) or wireless (2023+). Phones have built-in navigation apps such as Apple Maps and Google Maps that are FAR more SUPPERIOR to any built-in map from any car manufacture, as long as your phone have internet, these apps can provide live traffic and give you the best and fastest route, alert you if there are speeding cameras or police, your map database are always up-to-date, the user interface looks good and intuitive etc.. Majority of us prefer using these apps for navigation. You don't need built-in navigation in your car to use Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, however, non-navigation Lexus ES 350 has a very small display, 7" I think, I can't see anything well on that screen. Opt in for built-in navigation option, you will have 12.3" screen, better sound system with more speakers and some other techs...

See a demo of Apple Carplay on 2019 Lexus ES here: youtube.com/watch?v=N6J3aqxrBJE
or here: youtube.com/watch?v=Yatf9H11jQM

- 19-22 ES350 with built-in navigation will work without any required subscriptions, however the map database (streets, POIs, live traffic updates etc.) will get updates for free automatically over the air for first 3 - 5 years (I'm not sure), after the you still can use navigation but your map may be outdated . yes you can always subscribe at anytime and get updates again, I think price is like $80 per year...

- For more info about L/Certified cars, see here: https://www.lexusofalbuquerque.com/w...xus%20vehicles.

- You can buy extended warranty for your non-L/Certified Lexus, most Lexus dealer will check your car and determine if it is qualify and how much... I think around $1000 per year on avg...

Last edited by july1988; 11-06-23 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-07-23, 06:40 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 231 Likes on 170 Posts

Yikes! "You can buy extended warranty for your non-L/Certified Lexus, most Lexus dealer will check your car and determine if it is qualify and how much... I think around $1000 per year on avg..."
I have had Lexus cars since the SC400 came out in '92. Reliability is a big factor. I don't think I have ever spent $1,000.00 in repairs during any one year for any of my (new and used) Lexus cars. That's why "extended warranties" are not a wise purchase.
Even in the short term, if you keep the car for only 5 years, it is highly unlikely that you will happen into a needed repair, covered by the terms of the warranty contract, that will cost five times your annual premium. The sellers of the warranties know this, they paid attention in quantitative analysis class, and they are making money (and probably buying their own Lexuses).
ATL350 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 07:18 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Extended warranties generate 90%+ GPMs but some owners can't sleep at night without one even on a Lexus.
Old 11-07-23, 08:29 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

I don't think I have ever spent $1,000.00 in repairs during any one year for any of my (new and used) Lexus cars. That's why "extended warranties" are not a wise purchase.”

Insurance isn’t just to spread out the cost in a manageable way, it’s also to protect against catastrophic loss.

I have health insurance not to make my annual healthcare costs lower but to protect me if I have a potentially bankrupting issue like cancer or a heart attack.

A car warranty will generally cost more than your out of pocket costs over the years, but it’ll save your butt if you need a new transmission for example.
Old 11-07-23, 09:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think I have ever spent $1,000.00 in repairs during any one year for any of my (new and used) Lexus cars. That's why "extended warranties" are not a wise purchase.”

Insurance isn’t just to spread out the cost in a manageable way, it’s also to protect against catastrophic loss.

I have health insurance not to make my annual healthcare costs lower but to protect me if I have a potentially bankrupting issue like cancer or a heart attack.

A car warranty will generally cost more than your out of pocket costs over the years, but it’ll save your butt if you need a new transmission for example.
One is catastrophic - the other not so much. If a tranny goes or by the time it goes and the car is out of warranty, it may not even pay to repair it so you go out and buy another car. I have repair costs covered under my standard auto insurance anyway - I've never had to make a claim but if my trans goes out and cost is on my dime, I'll try it
Old 11-07-23, 10:08 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Extended warranties generate 90%+ GPMs
This is really hard to believe. If true there’s a huge opportunity for another company to come in and scoop up a ton of this business by pricing their product lower.

At the very least a company could cut the cost of an extended warranty in half or even lower and pay a much larger commission to dealerships for selling it if indeed there is an average 90 perfect profit margin. And since there are multiple companies competing for your dollar, this would have already happened. Therefore it can’t possibly be true.

Quick Reply: Explain Navigation Choices + Certification