ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2024 Mark Levison Radio Presets

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 04:26 PM
billmayer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 Mark Levison Radio Presets

Just bought a 2024 ES300h with Mark Levison sound and large navigation touch-screen. Two questions:
1. Radio presets - I know how to create favorites but I want to create presets so that the < > buttons on the steering wheel can switch between onlyi the presets like it did in my 2020 ES. Haven't been able to make it work. I reduced to two favorites on Sirius on the screen but when I click the > it takes me to random (or maybe sequentially numbered) other XM stations. Anyone have a clue on how to set the presets?
2. Mark Levison sound - I'm not impressed. Preferred the standard radio in the 2020. I get crackily and tinny sounds. The best I have been able to do is to set all sound controls (treble, bass, etc.) to the far right and move the speakers to slightly below the center line. Anyone have ideas on how to improve the sound quality?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-23, 10:24 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by billmayer
Just bought a 2024 ES300h with Mark Levison sound and large navigation touch-screen. Two questions:
1. Radio presets - I know how to create favorites but I want to create presets so that the < > buttons on the steering wheel can switch between onlyi the presets like it did in my 2020 ES. Haven't been able to make it work. I reduced to two favorites on Sirius on the screen but when I click the > it takes me to random (or maybe sequentially numbered) other XM stations. Anyone have a clue on how to set the presets?
Going by the information in a couple of Northside Lexus's Melissa O'Connell's videos on the Lexus Interface System and the 2023 Lexus ES, the Lexus Interface System changed the previous system's presets scheme to an audio "Favorites" scheme.

I think the wording in the 2023 LEXUS ES250, ES300H, ES350 NAVIGATION AND MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL and 2024 LEXUS ES250, ES350, ES300H MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL USA AND CANADA ONLY is confusing in the audio operation text in that "Preset buttons of sub menu" is really referring the list of audio "Favorites" you've registered. There are two display views of the "Favorites" list. One is what Melissa calls the tile view where each registered Favorite is a tile/button in a matrix display of all your registered Favorites. There is also a "Favorites" list view ordered by how you've arranged the list order in your desired station changing sequencing.

For the video time mark referencing below, keep in mind Melissa O'Connell in each of her YouTube video usually provides in the video description section a time mark index so you can find a specific discussion item of interest of quickly jump to that spot of the video without having to watch parts of the video you aren't interested in.

Starting at the 7:23 time mark of the "Tech Tip Tuesday - Top 10 Things to Know for Lexus Interface Vehicles" video, Melissa goes over the "new" Lexus Interface's Radio Favorites which includes her statement that the system uses Favorites instead of the previous system's Presets.

For Melissa's explanations specific to the 2023 and 2024 Lexus ES, see her "2023 Lexus ES Full Tutorial - Deep Dive". Starting at the 1:12:00 time mark, "Audio Controls on Steering Wheel", she goes over those controls including the use of audio control arrow buttons to sequence through the "Favorites" list. Her discussion of the Lexus Interface "Audio System" starts at the 1:43:37 time mark and audio favorites details starting at the 1:45:14 time mark " How to save Radio Favorites & How to Tune the Radio".

Old 11-12-23, 06:32 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

I think GRP's information is accurate. What I found last month setting up the radio in my swell new 2024 ES, there no longer are "presets." Any time you tune to a station by any method, you can touch the "heart" logo, and that station becomes a "Favorite."
If you press the "Radio" button on the dash, the list of Favorites shows up on the left of the screen. You can rearrange the order if you want, and you can change stations going up and down the list using the left and right track keys on the right side of the steering wheel.
Old 11-20-23, 10:05 PM
billmayer
4th Gear

Thanks for your comments to date regarding my 2024 ES300h. After watching the video referred to previouslyI find that the < > buttons on the steering wheel still do not scroll through the favorites as saved. I put them in list mode (by pressing the "radio" button next to the volume button. Pressing the < > buttons I find that sometimes they will go to the next favorite but sometimes they bring up a non-favorite that has a sequential Sirius channel number next to the channel that was being played previously. I'm not sure if ithis is an issue specifically with my car or a software issue plaguiing all vehicles. I called Lexus customer service and when I told the first agent my favorites were all on Sirius she abruptly transferred me without comment to Sirius cusstomer service who didn't have a clue (nor did I expecct them to as they didn't design the car.) I called back Lexus customer service and after about 10 minutes on hold she said I need to go to the dealer. Before I do that, however, I'm interested in learning if anyone else is having this issue. I'd appreciate your input.

Regarding the Mark Levison sound I haven't found a setting that gives me the audio I want (equialent to my 2020 ES non-Levison radio). Not expecting anyone can help with this but just putting it out there.
Old 11-20-23, 11:17 PM
grp52
Instructor

... After watching the video referred to previouslyI find that the < > buttons on the steering wheel still do not scroll through the favorites as saved. I put them in list mode (by pressing the "radio" button next to the volume button. Pressing the < > buttons I find that sometimes they will go to the next favorite but sometimes they bring up a non-favorite that has a sequential Sirius channel number next to the channel that was being played previously. I'm not sure if ithis is an issue specifically with my car or a software issue plaguiing all vehicles. ...
The [<]/[>] steering wheel switches do double duty. A fast momentary press - advance to next favorite; a longer press; seek next tunable AM/FM station or next available SiriusXM channel. (Other steering wheel switches that have press quick and longer press/hold actions are the talk switch (the stylized person talking icon) and the cruise control main switch.)

From page 126 of the 2024 Lexus ES250, ES350, ES300h Multimedia Owner's Manual:
​​[<]/[>] switches

• AM/FM

Switch the frequencies or broadcasting stations registered in the preset buttons in order.

Press and hold to switch frequencies. When released, the broadcasting station closest to that position with the best reception sensitivity is selected automatically.

• SiriusXMRadio

Switch the channels registered in the preset buttons in order.

Press and hold to switch channels. When released, the channel closest to that position with the best reception sensitivity is selected automatically.​​​​​
In case you're wondering, you aren't the first person to experience seemingly perplexing behavior from the double duty steering wheel switches.

Regarding the Mark Levison sound I haven't found a setting that gives me the audio I want (equialent to my 2020 ES non-Levison radio). Not expecting anyone can help with this but just putting it out there.
If as you previously stated "I get crackily and tinny sounds." from your Mark Levison audio system, suggest you get a reasonably high quality audio source (audio file or repeatable streaming source) that you can play from your phone or table for a sound quality comparison demonstration with what it sounds like when played through the Mark Levison audio system. Depending upon what sort of devices (e.g., phone, USB drive) you have, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, or music file on a USB drive are all possible means to input a reasonably high quality audio source into the Mark Levison audio system.

Provided you have reasonably quality audio sources, you shouldn't be getting "crackily and tinny sounds" from the Mark Levison audio system. Being able to demonstrate to the dealer's service manage/technician what an audio source "should sound like" versus what it "sounds like when played through the Mark Levison audio system" will be much better that your just saying the Mark Levison audio system is outputting "crackily and tinny sounds".

Last edited by grp52; 11-20-23 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Fixed a grammar problem
Old 12-01-23, 08:20 PM
billmayer
4th Gear

Thanks for your help Grp52. I found that the trick to moving between the favorite channels is to very quickly / briefly touch the < > buttons on the steering wheel. Anything longer than a bare touch gives other results. Hope this tip helps others.
Old 12-02-23, 06:40 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

Sounds like they made this needlessly more complex and user un-friendly than necessary.
Old 12-03-23, 12:00 AM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATL350
Sounds like they made this needlessly more complex and user un-friendly than necessary.
The 2023 and later model year systems may have simplified the ​​[<]/[>] switches operation from the 2022 and prior model years' operations. The 2022 and prior model years' do triple duty:

■ <> switch

▶︎ AM,FM,HD

● Press: Preset station up/down

● Press and hold (0.8 sec. or more): Seek up/down

● Press and hold (1.5 sec. or more): Seek up/down continuously while the switch is being pressed

▶︎ SXM*1

● Press: Preset channel up/down

● Press and hold (0.8 sec. or more): Seek for stations in the relevant program type/channel category

● Press and hold (1.5 sec. or more): Seek for the channel while the switch is being pressed
whereas, the 2023 and later model years' only do double duty.
The following users liked this post:
bullnobull (12-05-23)