ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ES 350 Timing Leak Ripped off by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-23, 05:21 PM
hendricks
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES 350 Timing Leak Ripped off by dealer

I want to share some dubious experiences with my recent dealership experience.
I have a 2020 ES 350 with about 39k miles on it.
On Friday, I sent the car to one of the dealerships for 40k maintenance, just an oil and oil filter change.
One hour after the car entered the maintenance bay, the service manager asked me to follow him and showed me that the timing cover was leaking. I didn't see it but saw oil dripping off. I think it is just releasing the oil, not the actual leaking.
The service manager told me it was covered under warranty and I would get a free oil change. So I leave my car there.

I was monitoring the Lexus app, so I could know when it was last ignited and how many more miles were added. Also, I had an airtag on the car, so I could know the location. Oh, I also have a dash cam.
The car might ignite next Monday afternoon for a very short amount of time, and no miles were added.
On Tuesday, the service manager called me the parts were delivered and ready to install.
On Friday afternoon, the service manager called me that the car was ready for pickup.

I checked the oil was new with a yellow color, so I definitely got the oil change.

Here are the facts that I think the dealer tried to scam the Lexus for labor costs.
Based on the Lexus app, the car was put back in the garage right after I left. It might ignite once very shortly on next Monday. Then the next time it was ignited was the next Friday morning.
The airtag tracking history showed the same thing.
I just finished reviewing the dash cam, it didn't record every detail.
The car was indeed sent back to the garage right after I left. The next recording shows the car was parked for the whole week until next Friday at 8 AM. I checked it was the same spot. It wasn't moved at all.
The car was in the service bay for about 1 hour 30 minutes and left the bay for a testing ride for 10 minutes, followed by car wash. And it was put back in the garage around 11 AM.

The service record was never reported to Lexus or Carfax. Since I can't find them after a week.

Therefore I am 100% sure they never removed the engine and did the fix they claimed on the receipt.
What should I do next? Pretend that I didn't know or report to Lexus?

Old 11-12-23, 05:48 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Received 521 Likes on 320 Posts

If I was you I'd just pretend nothing happened and moved on with life. I don't see what you are trying to accomplish here. If your engine is not leaking now, then who cares? They showed you the leak before, ordered parts, fixed it, and gave you your car back. It's not like you were ripped off. You are clearly not mechanically inclined so you are really out of your league here to comment on the work performed. I think if you bring this up to Lexus or the dealer you will come out looking like a fool.

Perhaps I missed something but wouldn't your car being in the service bay and off from Tuesday-Friday indicate the repair was done at that time? Your car will not be started or moved during the repair.

Originally Posted by hendricks
I want to share some dubious experiences with my recent dealership experience.
I have a 2020 ES 350 with about 39k miles on it.
On Friday, I sent the car to one of the dealerships for 40k maintenance, just an oil and oil filter change.
One hour after the car entered the maintenance bay, the service manager asked me to follow him and showed me that the timing cover was leaking. I didn't see it but saw oil dripping off. I think it is just releasing the oil, not the actual leaking.
The service manager told me it was covered under warranty and I would get a free oil change. So I leave my car there.

I was monitoring the Lexus app, so I could know when it was last ignited and how many more miles were added. Also, I had an airtag on the car, so I could know the location. Oh, I also have a dash cam.
The car might ignite next Monday afternoon for a very short amount of time, and no miles were added.
On Tuesday, the service manager called me the parts were delivered and ready to install.
On Friday afternoon, the service manager called me that the car was ready for pickup.

I checked the oil was new with a yellow color, so I definitely got the oil change.

Here are the facts that I think the dealer tried to scam the Lexus for labor costs.
Based on the Lexus app, the car was put back in the garage right after I left. It might ignite once very shortly on next Monday. Then the next time it was ignited was the next Friday morning.
The airtag tracking history showed the same thing.
I just finished reviewing the dash cam, it didn't record every detail.
The car was indeed sent back to the garage right after I left. The next recording shows the car was parked for the whole week until next Friday at 8 AM. I checked it was the same spot. It wasn't moved at all.
The car was in the service bay for about 1 hour 30 minutes and left the bay for a testing ride for 10 minutes, followed by car wash. And it was put back in the garage around 11 AM.

The service record was never reported to Lexus or Carfax. Since I can't find them after a week.

Therefore I am 100% sure they never removed the engine and did the fix they claimed on the receipt.
What should I do next? Pretend that I didn't know or report to Lexus?
The following users liked this post:
lgb0250 (11-13-23)
Old 11-12-23, 05:58 PM
hendricks
10th Gear

I am not being ripped off, but the Lexus clearly is.
They claimed that they replaced lots of seals and gaskets. But it is definitely impossible to do so without dropping off the engine itself.
The total amount of time the car stayed on the lift was less than 90 minutes. How could it be possible?

The only reason why I checked the dashcam is that the service record still hadn't been updated after more than a week. It is usually instant.
Old 11-12-23, 06:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Red flag to me that they agreed to reseal the timing cover @39K. Most likely they would have told you nothing wrong or it's "normal". The job will take at least 2 days.
hendricks (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 07:23 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

I am not being ripped off, but the Lexus clearly is.
They claimed that they replaced lots of seals and gaskets. But it is definitely impossible to do so without dropping off the engine itself.
The total amount of time the car stayed on the lift was less than 90 minutes. How could it be possible?

The only reason why I checked the dashcam is that the service record still hadn't been updated after more than a week. It is usually instant.
Then go look at your engine and see if seals and gaskets look new or not, the specific ones claimed to be replaced. If it doesn't look new, ask the service manager about the work and express your concerns.

Is it possible the tech noticed the dash cam and disconnected it for a few days during the work? You think you have proof but to me I don't see any actual proof. Let's see pics of the seals and the dash cam footage with timestamps.
Old 11-12-23, 07:38 PM
hendricks
10th Gear

Now who is not mechanically inclined?
What are seals and gaskets? And where are they?
If you know, then you will understand it is in between parts and they are most likely not visible because they are hidden.
Old 11-12-23, 08:16 PM
LS500Fan
Instructor

Now who is not mechanically inclined?
What are seals and gaskets? And where are they?
If you know, then you will understand it is in between parts and they are most likely not visible because they are hidden.
Look at the receipt, you should be able to see the timing cover seal. Check the subframe bolts for "witness marks".
Old 11-12-23, 08:48 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

least you have a covered repair for 12 months or 12k miles if it leaks.I would move on and not stress over it.
Old 11-12-23, 10:36 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

I have no idea on what really's going on; however, there's a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), L-SB-0002-20 Rev1 February 4, 2020, Oil Leak Diagnosis and Repair (pdf) that covers oil leak warranty work such as that you've described. For an oil leak to be covered under warranty, the TSB explicitly states:
Warranty Claim Submission: Warranty Policy 4.18
• ANY leak repair to be performed under warranty requires photo documentation of the active leak.
• This documentation showing the cause of defect MUST be created prior to the start of the repair and attached to the warranty claim.
• Photos MUST be clear and provide perspective image(s) that identify the affected component(s) and close-up image(s) that illustrate the defect or condition.
• For additional information regarding application and eligibility, please reference Warranty Policy 4.18.
I suppose a shady dealer's service department could gin up bogus photo and cause documentation to falsely justify a Lexus warranty work reimbursement but without any repair report in the (US) Lexus maintenance report database I think you're getting a tad bit too far over your skies thinking "the dealer tried to scam the Lexus for labor costs". For one thing, the whole dealership would have to be brain dead to even entertain the thought they would get paid by Lexus for warranty work for which there is NO official Lexus warranty maintenance record documenting the work was performed.
Old 11-13-23, 06:30 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 231 Likes on 170 Posts

You say you didn't see the leak, but you "saw oil dripping off." Isn't that seeing a leak?
LS500Fan (11-13-23)
Old 11-13-23, 06:51 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Dashcam needs 12V power to operate so does the DCM to report the cars status. The first step to drop the engine is to disconnect the battery. At this point both the DCM and Dashcam go to sleep until power is reconnected. Sort of like an open heart surgery...
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
ATL350 (11-13-23), dklanecky1 (11-13-23)
Old 11-13-23, 07:15 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 365 Likes on 220 Posts

"The service record was never reported to Lexus or Carfax. Since I can't find them after a week."

Perhaps I'm not up to date on it all, but is it actually a fact that a dealer reports repairs to Carfax? The Lexus maintenance system, I can see (and can we as consumers actually access that? If so, how?) I cab understand, but why would a dealership or Lexus itself reports repairs to a third party like that?
Old 11-13-23, 07:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Hard to believe a Lexus dealer or quite candidly, any dealer of a major manufacturer would engage in this sort of fraudulent behavior but who knows.
Old 11-13-23, 08:21 AM
hendricks
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tfischer
You say you didn't see the leak, but you "saw oil dripping off." Isn't that seeing a leak?
It was dripping off because they were doing an oil change, and they removed the oil pan screw/bolt. So it is dripping.
Old 11-13-23, 08:26 AM
hendricks
10th Gear

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Dashcam needs 12V power to operate so does the DCM to report the cars status. The first step to drop the engine is to disconnect the battery. At this point both the DCM and Dashcam go to sleep until power is reconnected. Sort of like an open heart surgery...
Great catch. I couldn't agree more.
But see if the following makes sense.
On the first Friday, the car was put back in the garage right after I left, and the next Friday, the car was picked up from the same spot and serviced for about 90 minutes. The surroundings and the parking spot number in my dashcam can prove that.
And there is no video showing the car moved in between.

Quick Reply: ES 350 Timing Leak Ripped off by dealer