ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Questions about ES350 Pinch Welds

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23 | 07:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

That jack is supposed to support on the bottom and one edge going by the design. Don't think I've ever used one this jack is for around 2015+ models. That adapter looks interesting but do you want to be the one that is beta testing it?
Old 12-04-23 | 07:37 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That jack is supposed to support on the bottom and one edge going by the design. Don't think I've ever used one this jack is for around 2015+ models. That adapter looks interesting but do you want to be the one that is beta testing it?
Why do you say the Lexus scissor jack supports on the bottom and one edge? What edge? By bottom I assume you mean shoulder and not bottom of pinch weld.

What adapter would you suggest I can't find anything that fits the exact configuration of this car's geometry. I'm not thrilled using something from ebay without a real part number but it looks exactly correct for this application. I thought the exact same thing about "Beta tester". The issue is that the polyurethane material in the ebay adapter supports the car without deforming. I wish it were made out of solid steel like the factory jack.

The alternate is to use the adapter shown by Denzlex but in my case I would jack up with a floor jack under front or rear of car and lower the car onto a jack stand at the pinch weld using the Denzlex adapter. This would prevent or at least mitigate folding the pinch weld since there is no lateral force.

The rubber panels under the car make it really hard to get a jack stand under the sub frame and I prefer to use factory intended supports anyway.

Last edited by hotwings; 12-04-23 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-04-23 | 07:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hotwings
Why do you say the Lexus scissor jack supports on the bottom and one edge? What edge? By bottom I assume you mean shoulder and not bottom of pinch weld.
Wider and taller part goes on the inside, right? I've posted this elsewhere I am not a fan of floor jacks I think they are dangerous they like to suddenly roll. That adapter does look nice seems to be contoured just for your car.
Old 12-04-23 | 07:48 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Wider and taller part goes on the inside, right? I've posted this elsewhere I am not a fan of floor jacks I think they are dangerous they like to suddenly roll. That adapter does look nice seems to be contoured just for your car.
Yes, the wider and taller part of the adapter goes on inside, where I point to the CAULK in this picture. I would only use the floor jack at the factory intended areas near the front radiator or under trunk to raise the car.

I like the adapter I found but I hate that it says "sample" in the picture.

Last edited by hotwings; 12-04-23 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-04-23 | 07:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I guess too much seam sealer is better than too little. Looks like the excess dripped.
Old 12-04-23 | 07:54 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

What a mess under there! Somebody or some machine went nuts.
Old 12-04-23 | 08:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I have four (4) of these beautiful annodized aluminium pinch weld adaptors from P2M.
They work beautifully with my four (4) aluminium jack stands and aluminium hydraulic jack.
FRAME RAIL JACK ADAPTERS (phase2motortrend.com)

Old 12-04-23 | 08:44 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

As long as you jack on a level surface and chock the wheels, the car shouldn’t move.
Old 12-04-23 | 08:51 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Denzlex
Yes, I can confirm it contacts only the bottom of the pinch weld. The depth of the adapter’s groove is 9/16th”, where as the heights of the pinch welds are 1&1/16” in the front, and 7/8” in the rear (on the ES). Used it a handful of times on my 23 ES, and dozens of times on my 14 Camry. No damage to the pinch welds on either car.
Can someone tell me why my quotation marks turn to squares??
Old 12-04-23 | 08:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

As long as you jack on a level surface and chock the wheels, the car shouldn’t move.
It can still move laterally which is the direction of the jack wheels.
Can someone tell me why my quotation marks turn to squares??
Try a different device or browser.
Old 12-04-23 | 09:17 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Try a different device or browser.
Of course, I understand the jack will creep as the car is raised. That’s normal operation. I suspect this is not what you were referring to when you stated “…floor jacks…are dangerous they like to suddenly roll.” That’s why I said jacking on a level surface with chocked wheels will keep the car from moving (suddenly rolling). Would you agree?

Last edited by Denzlex; 12-04-23 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-04-23 | 09:25 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Are you saying the floor jack can move laterally and the problem is it can bend the pinch weld?
Old 12-04-23 | 09:30 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I have four (4) of these beautiful annodized aluminium pinch weld adaptors from P2M.
They work beautifully with my four (4) aluminium jack stands and aluminium hydraulic jack.
FRAME RAIL JACK ADAPTERS (phase2motortrend.com)

This adapter looks like a good possibility. I'm glad you showed the floor jack and stand it works well with. Those look like tools to be proud of!
Once again the only concern is the pinch weld is being supported on the bottom, which is not what Lexus intended according to how the scissor jack was designed.

What model car and year is it being used on?

Last edited by hotwings; 12-04-23 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-04-23 | 09:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, I understand the jack will creep as the car is raised. That’s normal operation. I suspect this is not what you were referring to when you stated “…floor jacks…are dangerous they like to suddenly roll.” That’s why I said jacking on a level surface with chocked wheels will keep the car from moving (suddenly rolling). Would you agree?
There can be tension on the jack, and sometime later it suddenly moves this has happened to me. It didn't move much and wasn't a problem at the time but it made me think.

Are you saying the floor jack can move laterally and the problem is it can bend the pinch weld?
It would explain all the bent rockers I see, or something else is happening? Either way I no longer use floor jacks I use the supplied jack then use secondary support usually via subframe. BTW when a shop raises your car on a lift most often they are supporting the entire car only contacting the very bottom of the rocker panel.
Old 12-04-23 | 09:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

This adapter looks like a good possibility. I'm glad you showed the floor jack and stand it works well with. Those look like tools to be proud of!
Once again the only concern is the pinch weld is being supported on the bottom, which is not what Lexus intended according to how the scissor jack was designed.

What model car and year is it being used on?
This is a 4GS, but the pinch welds are the same as 7ES.
The P2M adapters pinch/support the sides of the pinch welds and the base of the box section above, hence zero damage to the pinch welds.

Last edited by peteharvey; 12-04-23 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hotwings (12-04-23)

Quick Reply: Questions about ES350 Pinch Welds