ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Triple beam headlight and aftermarket sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 12:20 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
cornering lamps are NOT the same as the things that angle on bends in the road. The triple beams do NOT have cornering lamps.
You're wrong about that. With this generation of ES both the single beam and triple beam headlight systems have cornering lights. Cornering lights are a standard feature for all model type and configurations. In all the (US) Owner's Manuals there is no "if equipped" qualifier on the cornering lights information. (See the "Cornering lights" section in the "4-3. Operating the lights and wipers" subchapter" in every model year and model type Owner's Manual (page numbers vary across manual versions).)

My ES is equipped with triple beam headlights and it is pretty obvious when the conditions to turn on the cornering lights are met - the road edge, curb, corner, etc. perpendicular to the front fender gets brightly illuminated (in forward motion the side of the turn signaled or actual steering wheel indicated turn direction and both sides in reverse). The illumination is noticeable on street light lit roads and even more noticeable on pitch black, unlit roads.

how are triple beams “far superior” to bi level LEDs of the same generation? My wife has. 23 IS350 with triples and I have a 23 ES300h with bi levels. ...
You're making a category error here. You can't assume the feature set and characteristics of IS model triple beam headlight assemblies is the same as ES model triple beam headlight assemblies.

scubapr has already posted a link with measured data, objective comparison between 2019 ES model year single beam and triple beam headlight versions.

With the 2022 ES changes in single and triple beam headlight assemblies, the IIHS 2022 Lexus ES 350 Vehicle Rating (and testing result data) (scroll down to the "Headlights" section) needs to be consulted for comparing single and triple beam headlight performance in 2022 and later model year ESs. Of particular note, the single beam headlights went from an "Average" 2019 version rating to a "Good" rating for the 2022 version. While the 2022 version single beam headlight measured test results still aren't quite up to either the 2019 or 2022 version triple beam headlight measured test result, the test data show the 2022 version single beam headlight has a pretty significant improvement in illumination performance over the previous single beam headlight version. The 2022 version triple beam headlight changes are more of a mixed bag - minor improvements in some area and minor degradations in others - which you have to dig into the "Technical measurements for this test" data for both the 2019 and 2022 versions to see what's changed in the illumination performance area.

If one really wants to get into the weeds of comparing IS and ES headlight illumination performances, IIHS also has 2023 Lexus IS Vehicle Rating (and testing result data) to assist in the comparison endeavors.

Last edited by grp52; 12-12-23 at 01:21 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
The following 2 users liked this post by grp52:
july1988 (12-12-23), Mrbungle11 (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 12:42 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Question Adding Options

Originally Posted by docbhn9
Is it possible to add good , affordable brand triple beam headlights to my es350 and after market sound system.
what brands do you recommend?
I assume like me you couldn't order a Lexus with the options you wanted even though they may be available for you trim level.
Old 12-12-23, 01:47 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbungle11
I got the triple beam headlights
Deff a must buy for me!!
They fill in the headlights so perfectly unlike the single being headlight, which the DRL strips is too long for that one projector light.
Looks beautiful with the lights on or off fortunately 99.9% of all ES owners has single been headlight so my car stands out
I always buy my Cars with a headlight upgrades ( if available)it just makes a whole difference to me or any light upgrade on a car.
Different strokes for different folks!

I prefer the bi level headlights on the ES and find the triples remind me of a spider and are a bit busy and a little less “grown up” for my taste but I’m over 50. Probably my favorite headlight design was the E39 5 series BMWs with two round units with LED haloes.

Wife has the triples on her 23 IS350FS so guess we get the best of both worlds. I especially dislike the multi unit Acura headlights that look like 5 ice cubes.

It’s funny a lot of younger drivers seem to just want to change their cars. When I had a 2001 Acura TL years ago it came with dual exhaust and a couple guys in the forums changed it to a single tipped exhaust. If a car had amber lights, they wanted to change to clear.
Old 12-12-23, 02:15 PM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My triple beam headlights has 360 lights when I put the car in reverse!!!

So good it makes me wanna slap my mamma!!!
Old 12-12-23, 04:34 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

cornering lamps are NOT the same as the things that angle on bends in the road. The triple beams do NOT have cornering lamps.

how are triple beams “far superior” to bi level LEDs of the same generation? My wife has. 23 IS350 with triples and I have a 23 ES300h with bi levels. The bi levels are actually a tiny bit brighter plus they have cornering lamps which the triple beams don’t have. I’ll take that over the road curve servo adjustment. What year is your wife’s RX if you think the triples are far superior?
Comparing one system on the IS with another system on an ES strikes me as an apples-to-porkchops comparison.

The IIHS rated the ES with triple beams versus the ES with stock headlights in a variety of specific situations. The triple beams scored higher in some of them, particularly when curving to the left or when depending on the high beams to illuminate the left side of the road while traveling straight.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...oor-sedan/2022
Old 12-12-23, 04:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
I assume like me you couldn't order a Lexus with the options you wanted even though they may be available for you trim level.
I actually would have preferred no triple beams with a savings of $1,500 off msrp but back then, the dealer had the exact one I wanted WITH the triples and once I had them down to around 90% msrp, it was a done deal.
Old 12-12-23, 05:01 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I actually would have preferred no triple beams with a savings of $1,500 off msrp but back then, the dealer had the exact one I wanted WITH the triples and once I had them down to around 90% msrp, it was a done deal.
I wanted them. I was spoiled coming from another car with exceptional headlights, and I'm old enough to appreciate all the help I can get.
Old 12-12-23, 05:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I wanted them. I was spoiled coming from another car with exceptional headlights, and I'm old enough to appreciate all the help I can get.
I like them after years of ownership. I'm a cheapskate though when shopping for cars and always looking for ways to shave the cost😁
Old 12-12-23, 06:33 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbungle11
My triple beam headlights has 360 lights when I put the car in reverse!!!

So good it makes me wanna slap my mamma!!!
This triple lamp looks like in 2022+ ES, I don't lkie look of it, 19-21 looks better
The hell is 360 lights LOL?

Last edited by july1988; 12-12-23 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-12-23, 06:41 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool Tri look cool but bi's are just fine.

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Funny the triple headlights are an option on any trim level and now $1215. I wanted them because my eyesight is not that good at night. I thought only the triples came with the cornering lights but 1st time I drove at night I noticed the bi-beams had it as well. Reminds me of my old caddy.
My local dealer plus 2 more within 100 miles had no stock with them. It was hard to find even 1 Luxury or Ultra Luxury. Between them I think they have 13 base builds in black / black or obsidian / black or white / black. I don't get it. Do buyers really want an all black interior? The 2 tones highlights the lines and design.
Old 12-12-23, 07:55 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
Do buyers really want an all black interior? The 2 tones highlights the lines and design.
I did! Haven’t had an all black interior in years and I think it looks pretty sharp with the black wood and ambient lighting. I got pearl white exterior with black interior. Acorn with walnut trim would have been my second choice.

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Comparing one system on the IS with another system on an ES strikes me as an apples-to-porkchops comparison.
More like comparing Gala apples to Fuji applies, with the comparison being done by someone who’s eaten both nearly every day for almost a year. Except there’s even less of a difference between the headlights than between those two varieties of red apples. Don’t know what else to tell you guys, the difference is so small it’s nearly impossible to tell even driving both cars back to back at night.

Last edited by BBQapple; 12-12-23 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-12-23, 07:56 PM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988
This triple lamp looks like in 2022+ ES, I don't lkie look of it, 19-21 looks better
The hell is 360 lights LOL?

When you put the car in reverse, both the inner headlight turns on
Old 12-12-23, 10:09 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still learning!
Is it possible to add in the triple beam (OEM) if we buy a used 300h? Would we just get it from the dealer and have them install? Are they limited to certain model years only? Looking at model years 2015-2019.
Old 12-12-23, 10:16 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by RudimentarySpoon
I am still learning!
Is it possible to add in the triple beam (OEM) if we buy a used 300h? Would we just get it from the dealer and have them install? Are they limited to certain model years only? Looking at model years 2015-2019.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11628625

Credit to @grp52

You are also looking at the 6th generation ES which is different from the 7th generation. Some parts may be interchangeable or more easily modified to work in a previous generation. Headlights in this case, will not be.
Old 12-12-23, 10:20 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11628625

Credit to @grp52

You are also looking at the 6th generation ES which is different from the 7th generation. Some parts may be interchangeable or more easily modified to work in a previous generation. Headlights in this case, will not be.
Thank you for this! Looks like I am stuck with whatever option the used car market will have for me and not be able to upgrade the stock lights. Oh well. Hope I get lucky by finding a good used one with the bells and whistles!

Quick Reply: Triple beam headlight and aftermarket sound system