ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Triple beam headlight and aftermarket sound system

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 10:23 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by RudimentarySpoon
Thank you for this! Looks like I am stuck with whatever option the used car market will have for me and not be able to upgrade the stock lights. Oh well. Hope I get lucky by finding a good used one with the bells and whistles!
The stock lights can be "upgraded" with aftermarket parts. However, keep in mind while the aesthetics may be there the functionality and quality is most likely another story. I know there is someone out there who has a 7th gen ES and swapped out their traditional headlights for an aftermarket triple beam that looks like OEM and is happy with it. As good as it looks, the light output is completely off from OEM, as expected.

I know for a fact there are triple beam options from aftermarket available for the 6th gen ES, so that's a route you could take.
The following users liked this post:
RudimentarySpoon (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 10:27 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

I still cannot believe that the tripple-beams are not plug and play since they have the same functions.
Old 12-12-23, 10:35 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
I still cannot believe that the tripple-beams are not plug and play since they have the same functions.
While I agree that it should really be plug and play, to buy the triple beam lights separately costs way more than to build a car with it. Yes I know this isn't an option for some, especially those in the used car market, but to build a car with the triple beam is a steal in comparison to getting it done as a mod later.

I don't know how accurate prices are and I know it varies across different sources but here is one source:https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2022...114533J71.html

Over $3k just for the passenger assembly. It was a $1200 or less option when optioned onto the car. A steal.
RudimentarySpoon (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 10:43 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
The stock lights can be "upgraded" with aftermarket parts. However, keep in mind while the aesthetics may be there the functionality and quality is most likely another story. I know there is someone out there who has a 7th gen ES and swapped out their traditional headlights for an aftermarket triple beam that looks like OEM and is happy with it. As good as it looks, the light output is completely off from OEM, as expected.

I know for a fact there are triple beam options from aftermarket available for the 6th gen ES, so that's a route you could take.
I am all too familiar with aftermarket and custom HID set ups for my econobox, and I have decided I will not be going that route any longer. Just too many issues and such a pain to deal with. OEM only, although I would like the higher end lighting to be pre-installed or plug and play. Doesn't look like that is the case, although perhaps for the 7th gen, but maybe cost prohibitive if they are going for over $3k (just for the one side)!

Good to know that the 6th gen has more options but meh, I will stick with stock for this car.
Old 12-13-23, 03:40 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb Self Leveling

Originally Posted by ESh
I believe they would both use the same connector. The 3-beams have a self leveling function. The positioning for that system is controlled by a module. The car has to be programed to let it know it has that option (OEM headlights).
I think they look good but the self leveling is kind of a gimmick. Does it adjust for weight difference? Maybe hills with a good grade but not fast enough for bumps in the road.
Old 12-13-23, 04:41 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts

Based on the IIHS tests, only on the 2019 model year, the tri-led are marginally better than bi-led. From 2021-2023 they perform almost identical. Some will notice difference other do not. IMHO there's no point on changing them other than aesthetics. And I highly doubt any current aftermarket could have a better performance or functionality over the OEM.
LexFinally (12-13-23)
Old 12-13-23, 06:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

If nothing else, could be worth $1,500 just to see the lights dance every time you start the car
Old 12-13-23, 09:49 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
If nothing else, could be worth $1,500 just to see the lights dance every time you start the car
I had a 2001 LS430 years ago and loved the startup dance at night for the HID xenon lights. LEDs super white are definitely better but the blue xenon look was pretty cool back in the day.
Old 12-13-23, 09:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
I had a 2001 LS430 years ago and loved the startup dance at night for the HID xenon lights. LEDs super white are definitely better but the blue xenon look was pretty cool back in the day.
The downside - I hope to NEVER have to replace one of those lights.
Old 12-13-23, 10:46 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
Funny the triple headlights are an option on any trim level and now $1215. I wanted them because my eyesight is not that good at night. I thought only the triples came with the cornering lights but 1st time I drove at night I noticed the bi-beams had it as well. Reminds me of my old caddy.
My local dealer plus 2 more within 100 miles had no stock with them. It was hard to find even 1 Luxury or Ultra Luxury. Between them I think they have 13 base builds in black / black or obsidian / black or white / black. I don't get it. Do buyers really want an all black interior? The 2 tones highlights the lines and design.
I personally agree with you about the all-black interior, with all respect to those reading this who have and love it. I think it's symptomatic of a larger trend across all makers. Since the start of the pandemic shortages, dealers and makers have concentrated their limited capacity on stocking the most noncontroversial and easiliy sold trim combinations. That's resulted in a lot full of cars that are all grey, black or white outside and black inside. I miss color.
Old 12-13-23, 11:15 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
I don't know how accurate prices are and I know it varies across different sources but here is one source:https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2022...114533J71.html

Over $3k just for the passenger assembly. It was a $1200 or less option when optioned onto the car. A steal.
You need to shop around. Didn't take much searching to find a (triple beam) Composite Headlamp - Lexus (81145-33J71) you can steal for a mere $2,448.37.

But you're correct in that the much, much better steal is getting all the triple beam headlight hardware as a manufactured build option - 2024 (US) Lexus list price $1215.
Old 12-13-23, 11:27 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I personally agree with you about the all-black interior, with all respect to those reading this who have and love it. I think it's symptomatic of a larger trend across all makers. Since the start of the pandemic shortages, dealers and makers have concentrated their limited capacity on stocking the most noncontroversial and easiliy sold trim combinations. That's resulted in a lot full of cars that are all grey, black or white outside and black inside. I miss color.
I’ve got black interior and like it, the dark brown “acorn” is also nice. I hadn’t had a black interior in years and kind of wanted one again. But it’s a bit dour for sure. What I don’t get is why Lexus made their current tan interiors with so much orange in the hue, it’s not for me the older more normal tans were so much more traditional.

I got my wife a red interior for her IS which I never thought I’d like but when I saw it in person I just had to have it!

Old 12-13-23, 12:07 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
I’ve got black interior and like it, the dark brown “acorn” is also nice. I hadn’t had a black interior in years and kind of wanted one again. But it’s a bit dour for sure. What I don’t get is why Lexus made their current tan interiors with so much orange in the hue, it’s not for me the older more normal tans were so much more traditional.
If they had offered in '22 the tan with brown walnut woodgrain that was available at the start of the 7th gen, I'd gladly have chosen it. I dislike the flat black wood now in use on most ES variations. To me, it's so disguised it might as well be Ikea particle board painted black. I looked seriously into even replacing the panels to get the walnut, but it's just utterly unfeasible.
Old 12-13-23, 12:29 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Yep the black “open pore wood trim” looks like a spray painted broomstick

Suppisedly it’s stained with a special black ink used in Japanese calligraphy but it sure looks like plastic to me. $500 option as I recall.
YumpinYiminy (12-14-23)
Old 12-13-23, 02:39 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
But they don't have the same functions to power and control. The triple beam headlight assemblies have more things to power and control than the single beam assemblies have. Look at the lexusguide.net Lexus ES (XZ10) Service Manual's Lighting System (for Gasoline Model) - System Diagram (the hybrid model version has the same diagrams for headlight assembles) scrolling down close to the bottom of the web page to see the (triple beam) HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY CIRCUIT (for LED Type Turn Signal Light) and (single beam) HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY CIRCUIT (for Bulb Type Turn Signal Light) diagrams.

From those diagrams one can see these additional features/functions to power and control in triple beam headlight assemblies that isn't present in the single beam headlight assemblies:

1. Headlight swivel motor
2. Headlight leveling motor
3. LIN bus for communication to items 1. and 2.
4. Headlight fan

Since there's more to power and control in triple beam headlight assemblies than in single beam assemblies, it shouldn't be surprising to find different headlight ECU parts are used to power and control the two types of headlight assemblies. For example, Front Right Headlight Control Module (with triple beam) and Front Right Headlight Control Module (without triple beam) - same headlight assembly location; different headlight ECUs for different headlight assembly types.

Last edited by grp52; 12-13-23 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Quick Reply: Triple beam headlight and aftermarket sound system