ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Dynamic Maps

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 05:31 AM
neckhardt
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dynamic Maps

What happens to the Navigation system if you stop the dynamic map subscription?
Old 12-12-23, 09:08 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

It keeps working, but reverts to forgetting everything it learned about your routes and preferences since you bought the car. It does not quit entirely. This has been discussed in previous threads; Search is your friend.
Old 12-12-23, 01:02 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Red face Ya Subscriptions

Originally Posted by neckhardt
You already paid for the system. Not right.
Toyota was doing the same thing. From customer complaints and possibly a class action lawsuit, they keep the functionality as long as they have 1 of the connect services. (Safety Connect or Service Connect)
I don't think Lexus is being as kind.
The system will still work but won't have updates or some of the functionality. What do they want now? $16 a month?
Old 12-12-23, 01:30 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
Toyota was doing the same thing. From customer complaints and possibly a class action lawsuit, they keep the functionality as long as they have 1 of the connect services. (Safety Connect or Service Connect)
The system will still work but won't have updates or some of the functionality. What do they want now? $16 a month?
To be blunt, the nav is inaccurate and untrustworthy for anything beyond a trip to the store even when you're paying for it. If you want to get there, you should use CarPlay or Android Auto for Google Maps or Waze, regardless.
Old 12-12-23, 01:41 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
It keeps working, but reverts to forgetting everything it learned about your routes and preferences since you bought the car. It does not quit entirely. This has been discussed in previous threads; Search is your friend.
It only keeps working with the older Lexus Enform Dynamic Navigation Systems on 2022 and older model year ESs.

With the "new" 2023 or later model year Lexus Interface Drive Connect Cloud Navigation that's no longer the case. From both the 2023 LEXUS ES250, ES300H, ES350 NAVIGATION AND MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL and the 2024 LEXUS ES250, ES350, ES300H MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL (USA AND CANADA ONLY):
The navigation function is a subscription service. It is necessary to enter a subscription service contract to use the navigation function.
I don't have access to a 2023 or 2024 ES with or without an active subscription to verify that so there's no guarantee reality matches what's in the manuals.
Old 12-12-23, 01:49 PM
LexFinally
Racer

I should also clarify that my inaccuracy comments refer to the previous-generation system that was replaced for 2023. I have no idea whether the map database itself was updated or upgraded when Toyota/Lexus reworked the interface.
Old 12-12-23, 01:50 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
you paid for the system and you get to keep the system. You didn’t pay for over the air data however which is what cuts off after three years. Why should they provide this forever? If you buy an iPad or iPhone don’t get free data for life but the device still works.

anyhow i used the nav on my 23 for maybe a few days and now I only use CarPlay with my phone.
Old 12-12-23, 01:50 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,287 Likes on 996 Posts

IMHO, google, apple and Waze maps are all free, live and very good. It's sad that auto manufacturers are assuming their systems are great and owners need them. I don't even bother updating the maps on my 2013. Since the 3g shutdown it's clear to me built in nav is obsolete. I suppose if money is no object, there are some reasons to pay.
Old 12-12-23, 02:01 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by BBQapple
you paid for the system and you get to keep the system. You didn’t pay for over the air data however which is what cuts off after three years. Why should they provide this forever? If you buy an iPad or iPhone don’t get free data for life but the device still works.

anyhow i used the nav on my 23 for maybe a few days and now I only use CarPlay with my phone.
My wife's Garmin is supported for life in exactly the way Lexus's nav system is not. Do you believe the Garmin should not be? Should it brick itself after 3 years of ownership unless Garmin can bill it as another profit center?
Old 12-12-23, 02:08 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

I should also clarify that my inaccuracy comments refer to the previous-generation system that was replaced for 2023. I have no idea whether the map database itself was updated or upgraded when Toyota/Lexus reworked the interface.
According to the copyright notice for map data in the 2023 and 2024 multimedia manual's, Lexus Cloud Navigation is still using HERE for the map data.
Old 12-12-23, 02:54 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

My wife's Garmin is supported for life in exactly the way Lexus's nav system is not. Do you believe the Garmin should not be? Should it brick itself after 3 years of ownership unless Garmin can bill it as another profit center?
I didn’t say or imply that and it is my understanding the Lexus nav continues to work after the subscription is over but you just don’t get live traffic and updates and POI
Old 12-12-23, 04:06 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by grp52
According to the copyright notice for map data in the 2023 and 2024 multimedia manual's, Lexus Cloud Navigation is still using HERE for the map data.
On behalf of all you '23 and '24 owners, dang.
Old 12-12-23, 04:18 PM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by neckhardt
Sorry what is dynamic maps??

2022 here!!
Old 12-12-23, 04:23 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by BBQapple
I didn’t say or imply that and it is my understanding the Lexus nav continues to work after the subscription is over but you just don’t get live traffic and updates and POI
That's fair.
Old 12-12-23, 04:32 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

On behalf of all you '23 and '24 owners, dang.
Whats wrong with or the implication of using HERE data?

Quick Reply: Dynamic Maps