ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Keycard for ES 2023

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23, 09:37 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

I never pull my fob out of pocket and if others entering the car I just touch the rear handle to unlock all. Wish this option for key card would work on 2020.
Old 12-14-23, 09:45 AM
LeFortIII
9th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure that from the time that automobiles existed until now, thieves have sought to steal what isn't theirs. One security advancement after another from manufacturers has been met with mechanisms to defeat that security, and vehicles just keep getting stolen. Consider the advancement of having the lock mechanism hidden inside the door, but eventually it is discovered that a wire coat hanger or a 'slim jim' can grab a critical component and open the lock. Back and forth go manufacturers and these parasites of society, until the end of time. The most recent is frequency cloning and amplification.

Personally, I choose to live my life. I'm going to be able to grab my phone and my wallet as I whisk out the door to my next adventure, and having my car recognize my key card swiftly is a mind-blowing advancement to this guy who used to have a fist-sized collection of keys in his pocket. My house has an electronic keypad as well, so I carry no keys or fobs. It's glorious. I'm not going to inconvenience myself to the point of not using this technology just because it can be cloned. I've got a nice car, but it wasn't much more expensive than my wife's Ascent, and there are five cars on my own street that are worth more than mine. I'm not that big of a target. Until my car insurance requires a clause that prevents them from paying my claim for a stolen car because somebody cloned my fob, I'm just going to keep my house and my car locked and get on with my life.
Old 12-14-23, 11:46 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
I never pull my fob out of pocket and if others entering the car I just touch the rear handle to unlock all. Wish this option for key card would work on 2020.
Sure but that only works if you get to the car before them. Otherwise they’re standing at the side of the car waiting for you to get there to let them in, sometimes innthr rain.
Let’s not pretend having a remote push button to lock or unlock isn’t useful. And it’s pretty easy to do it while the fob is still in your pocket I memorized the button positions within a couple days of owning the car.

The key “card” is cool but definitely less functional than a proper fob. And unless you have keyless entry on your house door most of us are still carrying at least one key.
The following users liked this post:
YumpinYiminy (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 04:21 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LeFortIII
I'm pretty sure that from the time that automobiles existed until now, thieves have sought to steal what isn't theirs. One security advancement after another from manufacturers has been met with mechanisms to defeat that security, and vehicles just keep getting stolen. Consider the advancement of having the lock mechanism hidden inside the door, but eventually it is discovered that a wire coat hanger or a 'slim jim' can grab a critical component and open the lock. Back and forth go manufacturers and these parasites of society, until the end of time. The most recent is frequency cloning and amplification.

Personally, I choose to live my life. I'm going to be able to grab my phone and my wallet as I whisk out the door to my next adventure, and having my car recognize my key card swiftly is a mind-blowing advancement to this guy who used to have a fist-sized collection of keys in his pocket. My house has an electronic keypad as well, so I carry no keys or fobs. It's glorious. I'm not going to inconvenience myself to the point of not using this technology just because it can be cloned. I've got a nice car, but it wasn't much more expensive than my wife's Ascent, and there are five cars on my own street that are worth more than mine. I'm not that big of a target. Until my car insurance requires a clause that prevents them from paying my claim for a stolen car because somebody cloned my fob, I'm just going to keep my house and my car locked and get on with my life.
I'm not sure where any posts suggest you should "inconvenience yourself to the point of not using this technology just because it can be cloned".

The posts merely pointed out the keycard cannot be disabled from transmitting but the button FOB can.

Technology has improved to the point where you don't have to leave your key on the ground next to your car for someone to easily steal it, your key is in the air ripe for the sniffing. In high risk areas it may be prudent to mask it. I applaud Lexus and Toyota for providing this option.

Last edited by hotwings; 12-14-23 at 05:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
YumpinYiminy (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 06:42 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

At least the ES is fortunate enough to have this option available for those that want it. The RX is forced to go with the digital only option that requires a subscription and has proven to be a bust as Lexus has told them to carry the physical fob because it is so unreliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by alextv:
hotwings (12-15-23), LexFinally (12-15-23)
Old 02-06-24, 12:33 PM
TheStigE36
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone actually have the part number for the key that works with their ES? I have a 2020 ES350 with premium and the dealer is telling me that it will not work, but I am not sure that I believe them since I have seen so many posts of people saying it will work. Just want to not have to buy more than one of these to get it to work.
Old 02-06-24, 02:47 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
My fobs are paired with Apple Air Tags, but there is no way to do that to the card, so I just used a label maker to put my name and phone number on it in case it slips out of my pocket somewhere, like the gym.
Why can't you attach an air tag the to the card the same way as I attached it to the FOB as shown in attached photo? Double sided sticky tape (white foam type) to the rescue.

Last edited by hotwings; 02-06-24 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clerical
Old 02-06-24, 03:02 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Can I buy one for my 2021 350 ES base with Premium Package?
Old 02-07-24, 10:10 AM
TheStigE36
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeFortIII
I've got one for my '22 300h. It's a base model, with the nav package as the only other option I remember being on the car, that added $100 to the price.

I use it as my daily carry fob, in my wallet which is a Bellroy Slim Sleeve.

The battery died at about 19 months. I went to my local Batteries Plus shop and they didn't carry it, but I found it on Amazon easily enough.

Seriously love that thing.
@LeFortIII Do you have a model number or anything for your keycard? Just wondering if there is a way to get this for my 2020 and make sure I have the right card...