ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How to find out which prior model years had acoustic glass (ES 300h)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 10:06 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to find out which prior model years had acoustic glass (ES 300h)?

I am in the market for a used 2015-2019 300h but primarily concentrating on the 2017-2018 model years. Leaning more towards 2018* because it's the start of the 7th gen and I hear that the 7th gen has more noise dampening material than the 6th generation.

As it relates to acoustic windows outside of the windshield, I am having difficulty figuring out which cars do have the other windows that are acoustically-treated.

Is there any easy way to figure out which model years, and which trim levels (if needed), have the acoustic glass all around?

I am not sure if it's by trim (luxury, ultra luxury), or just straight model year that has all windows as acoustic.

* According to Wikipedia; apparently, according to these forums, the 7th gen starts with the 2019 model year.

In any case, my budget is probably not going to exceed $30k, so it is what it is on what I end up with.

This would be my first non-Ford purchase, so I am a bit out of my element here!
Old 12-12-23, 10:15 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

2019+ is the new model. 2013-2018 is the old model.
Personally, with 30K I would search for a 2016-2018 model.

For the 2019+ model, only Luxury and Ultra Luxury have double glazing front side windows.
The following users liked this post:
RudimentarySpoon (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 10:22 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by RudimentarySpoon
I am in the market for a used 2015-2019 300h but primarily concentrating on the 2017-2018 model years. Leaning more towards 2018* because it's the start of the 7th gen and I hear that the 7th gen has more noise dampening material than the 6th generation.

As it relates to acoustic windows outside of the windshield, I am having difficulty figuring out which cars do have the other windows that are acoustically-treated.

Is there any easy way to figure out which model years, and which trim levels (if needed), have the acoustic glass all around?

I am not sure if it's by trim (luxury, ultra luxury), or just straight model year that has all windows as acoustic.

* According to Wikipedia; apparently, according to these forums, the 7th gen starts with the 2019 model year.

In any case, my budget is probably not going to exceed $30k, so it is what it is on what I end up with.

7th gen ES in the US starts in 2019.

The Luxury and Ultra lux trims (v6 and hybrid) have acoustic glass on the front windows, I think. To be honest I don't know what is "acoustic glass" really, is it double-sided panel or laminated glass, just so it reduce noise a bit better?

However, I'd recommend, for 7th gen ES, get 2020+ ES that manufactured after Oct 2019 to get both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as auto folding side mirrors.

For $30K you will probably end up with 50K - 80K+ mileage one, which is mint for a Lexus
Old 12-12-23, 10:45 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

Originally Posted by july1988

The Luxury and Ultra lux trims (v6 and hybrid) have acoustic glass on the front windows, I think. To be honest I don't know what is "acoustic glass" really, is it double-sided panel or laminated glass, just so it reduce noise a bit better?

However, I'd recommend, for 7th gen ES, get 2020+ ES that manufactured after Oct 2019 to get both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as auto folding side mirrors.

For $30K you will probably end up with 50K - 80K+ mileage one, which is mint for a Lexus
Yes, sorry I am not too familiar with the terminology yet, but basically just the dual paned glass with a layer (air?) in the middle to reduce road noise, etc.

I think a 2020 model is going to be out of my budget, and perhaps I might get lucky with a higher mileage 2019. Unfortunately, I might just get stuck with a 2018 model.

Can OEM CarPlay and AA be added on afterwards to a 6th gen (or even a 2019) system?
Old 12-12-23, 11:29 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

While AGC Automotive does have a laminated acoustic window glass product line offering with an acoustic plastic interlayer sheet, the laminated front window glass used in this generation's Luxury and Ultra Luxury model tyoes is AGC Automotive's Lamisafe "regular" laminated automotive safety glass using a plastic interlayer sheet that doesn't have any enhanced acoustic dampening properties. While Lamisafe does have greater acoustic attenuation (as well as UV light blocking) than plain, non-laminated, tempered automotive glass, AGC Automotive's marketing material for their laminated acoustic window glass has a comparison graph showing a a much greater acoustic attenuation in roughly the 1600 to 5000 Hz range over that of the "regular" Lamisafe glass. (For the comparison graph, see the second gallery image on the AGC Automotive LAMINATED ACOUSTIC GLASS marketing web page. Scroll down quite a bit to get to the gallery section and click on either arrow to cycle the comparison graph into view.)

The same Lamisafe type of glass is also used for the windshield.

An easy way to verify the type of Lexus OEM glass that is installed is to look at the glass "bug" printed on each glass pane. For the front side windows the bug is located in the bottom rear corner. The top printed line is logo stylized LEXUS and the bottom printed line will include LAMISAFE if the front side window is indeed laminated automotive window glass.
The following 3 users liked this post by grp52:
BBQapple (12-13-23), RudimentarySpoon (12-13-23), Wenlan (12-16-23)
Old 12-13-23, 06:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
An easy way to verify the type of Lexus OEM glass that is installed is to look at the glass "bug" printed on each glass pane. For the front side windows the bug is located in the bottom rear corner. The top printed line is logo stylized LEXUS and the bottom printed line will include LAMISAFE if the front side window is indeed laminated automotive window glass.
The easiest way is to just look at the edge of the front side windows.

If it has acoustic glass, it will look like the above.
Old 12-13-23, 03:21 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
The easiest way is to just look at the edge of the front side windows.
That way doesn't work if the windows are closed.

When you're out shopping for a used Lexus ES like RudimentarySpoon is, how many ESs on the used car for sale lot are going to have their windows open enough to check the window edge for the lamination characteristic?

Originally Posted by Mike728
...If it has acoustic glass, it will look like the above.
As discussed in my previous past #5, no 7th generation Lexus ES is equipped with laminated acoustic window glass (i.e., "acoustic glass" using your terminology). The laminated glass used in the front windows for so equipped ESs is just plain Jane laminated window glass from the AGC Automotive Lamisafe product line.
RudimentarySpoon (12-13-23)
Old 12-13-23, 11:19 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

Originally Posted by grp52
That way doesn't work if the windows are closed.

When you're out shopping for a used Lexus ES like RudimentarySpoon is, how many ESs on the used car for sale lot are going to have their windows open enough to check the window edge for the lamination characteristic?

As discussed in my previous past #5, no 7th generation Lexus ES is equipped with laminated acoustic window glass (i.e., "acoustic glass" using your terminology). The laminated glass used in the front windows for so equipped ESs is just plain Jane laminated window glass from the AGC Automotive Lamisafe product line.
This is good info about the 7th gen not having the acoustic glass. But it may be possible to get it based on some other comments (I suppose randomly installed in your car if you're lucky)? If that is the case, then it seems possible to maybe special order that glass and have it installed? Not sure.

Might just be safer to get a 6th generation, which I believe may have that type of glass available. However, it may be for a higher trim which I may or may not be able to find easily on the used market.
Old 12-14-23, 12:20 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Yes, sorry I am not too familiar with the terminology yet, but basically just the dual paned glass with a layer (air?) in the middle to reduce road noise, etc.

I think a 2020 model is going to be out of my budget, and perhaps I might get lucky with a higher mileage 2019. Unfortunately, I might just get stuck with a 2018 model.

Can OEM CarPlay and AA be added on afterwards to a 6th gen (or even a 2019) system?
No you can't just add CarPlay and AA to 6th ES, you have to switch the head unit for an after market one. 19 ES has Carplay (if manufacture after 10/2018) and you can't add AA to it.

I'd not spend ~$30K to get a 6th gen ES, a brand new 2024 ES - base model, starts at around $43K, with current economy (Dealers is slow on selling) I'm pretty sure you can get it for ~$40K out of door, latest and greatest tech and feature, why settle for a 2018 that probably has a lot mileage???

At the very least, go for an used 2019, it has (wired) Apple Carplay if it was manufacture after Oct. 2018, I'm pretty sure there are TONs of 19 and 20 ES out there for $30K, the mileage will be 50K+ which is nothing for Lexus, just don't buy anything close to 100K miles, because you will be spending thousands in big maintenance at ~100K interval

In about 12-18 months, 8th gen ES will come out, you def. don't want to buy a 6th gen today, make no sense whatsoever to me.

If you insist on buying a 6th, get a 2016 - same car as 2018, save more $.

Last edited by july1988; 12-14-23 at 12:27 AM.
RudimentarySpoon (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 11:41 PM
RudimentarySpoon
Rookie

No you can't just add CarPlay and AA to 6th ES, you have to switch the head unit for an after market one. 19 ES has Carplay (if manufacture after 10/2018) and you can't add AA to it.

I'd not spend ~$30K to get a 6th gen ES, a brand new 2024 ES - base model, starts at around $43K, with current economy (Dealers is slow on selling) I'm pretty sure you can get it for ~$40K out of door, latest and greatest tech and feature, why settle for a 2018 that probably has a lot mileage???

At the very least, go for an used 2019, it has (wired) Apple Carplay if it was manufacture after Oct. 2018, I'm pretty sure there are TONs of 19 and 20 ES out there for $30K, the mileage will be 50K+ which is nothing for Lexus, just don't buy anything close to 100K miles, because you will be spending thousands in big maintenance at ~100K interval

In about 12-18 months, 8th gen ES will come out, you def. don't want to buy a 6th gen today, make no sense whatsoever to me.

If you insist on buying a 6th, get a 2016 - same car as 2018, save more $.
Good call out about the 2016 model! I looked at the 2015 for comparison but there appears to be a fair bit of difference--must have been a refresh. I'll avoid getting anything around the 100k mark.

I didn't realize the 8th gen is only 12-18 months out. Not sure if I want to wait that long because I am in a focus with a model that has transmission issues. No clue if I can get that far haha.
Old 12-15-23, 07:21 AM
DH1
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a point of clarification. If so inclined you can buy a GROM V-line adapter (aftermarket module sells for <$700) and it will add AA or Carplay to your 6th gen ES.
RudimentarySpoon (12-20-23)
Old 12-16-23, 05:34 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool Double pane glass

I had a 2013 Avalon limited. It had the double pane sound deadening glass on the windshield and front side windows. I would think any ES going back that far should have it. One way to tell is to roll down the driver window. Looking at the top of the glass you should be able to see a faint line where the 2 pieces of glass were laminated together.
RudimentarySpoon (12-20-23)
Old 12-16-23, 08:55 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
I had a 2013 Avalon limited. It had the double pane sound deadening glass on the windshield and front side windows. I would think any ES going back that far should have it. One way to tell is to roll down the driver window. Looking at the top of the glass you should be able to see a faint line where the 2 pieces of glass were laminated together.
I had single pane side window glass on my 2015 ES and double pane on my current 2019. I honestly cannot tell the difference. The base ES is very quiet so it’s probably pretty hard to improve on that. It may be measurable with a meter but to my average hearing, this doesn’t seem like much of a benefit.
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
Panther61 (12-16-23), RudimentarySpoon (12-20-23)