ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Installing a rear dashcam - anyone done this before?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23 | 08:08 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Default Installing a rear dashcam - anyone done this before?

I’m installing a dashcam with front and rear cameras. The front was doable using a Dongar adapter that can get power from the rear view mirror. It’s great because a long wire doesn’t need to run down to a fuse or a 12v adaptor.

now I need to do the rear install, which involves a cable running above the headliner, squeezed in from behind the door seals and the A, B, and C pillar casings. This involves partially removing the door seal and pulling down the headliner slightly.

I’ve always known that door seals tend to come off but don’t go back on right. Is there a trick or method to get them back on? I’m sure a body shop person would know exactly how to get it on the right way. Does anyone know how to do it?

it would be my pleasure to write in detail about the dongar cable install, for anyone interested.

also, there is a fitCamX video that illustrates the rear camera install - it involves a similar cable. But their video makes it look like a joke to install; there is no chance it’s that easy. They made the Dongar cable equivalent also look easy. I’m hoping for some real info.
Old 12-15-23 | 08:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

the seals aren't what to worry about. those are baby cakes. it's the headliner you don't want to get wrong. one wrong move, one wrong crease, you're done.

i tried a rear cam when i had my ES and probed a bunch for a switched 12 volt source but couldn't find any. i gave up cause i wanted to avoid tearing up the car too much. the way i guess would be to stuff wires along the headliner behind the seals. i didn't give it more than 15 minutes worth of effort so maybe someone can find a way.
Old 12-15-23 | 09:08 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by E46CT
the seals aren't what to worry about. those are baby cakes. it's the headliner you don't want to get wrong. one wrong move, one wrong crease, you're done.

i tried a rear cam when i had my ES and probed a bunch for a switched 12 volt source but couldn't find any. i gave up cause i wanted to avoid tearing up the car too much. the way i guess would be to stuff wires along the headliner behind the seals. i didn't give it more than 15 minutes worth of effort so maybe someone can find a way.
I get that it's "easy", but I dont get how. Can you explain to me like I'm 5 how I can remove and replace the door seals on the 7ES so that they return to their original position? I cannot figure it out and I can't grow a pair with enough brass to simply pull them off without a plan. The headliner is pretty soft around the edges and is well covered by the seals - you dont even need to move the headliner; the space for a wire to fit is already there.

The A/B/C pillar connections are also not obvious. I can't figure out which way to pull them to get a space. Do you know?
Old 12-15-23 | 10:31 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

I forgot to say that the 12V switched cable in the auto dimming rear view mirror is perfect for the dashcam. Check out the dongar cable that enables this connection. Saves you having to run the cable all the way down to the fuse, or, worse, to the center console for the cigarette lighter.
Old 12-15-23 | 01:54 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

How do you gain access to the 12V cable in the auto dimming rear view mirror? Is there a panel that an idiot can't break?
Old 12-15-23 | 03:06 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot what the 7ES door seals look like exactly (can you post a pic of yours?) but from what I remember, like any other car, you just pull them down with your fingers. then they just press back on and you tap it with your fist. might be nice to wear gloves so you don't dirty your headliner. or make sure your hands are clean.

As for the pillar covers, pretty sure they pull straight out. you can ask some members here to chime in. i think i remember pulling my b pillar panel by just yanking on it. look for pictures of used parts on ebay to see what clips they have behind them.
Old 12-15-23 | 03:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

also btw you could start at a bottom corner of the seal and just pull on it til you reach the top. start at a point where you can get your fingers in it.
Old 12-16-23 | 01:54 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hotwings
How do you gain access to the 12V cable in the auto dimming rear view mirror? Is there a panel that an idiot can't break?
The box that holds the lane keeping camera, and also the foundation of the rear view mirror against the front windshield, comes off. That box has two pieces; one small panel, and the rest of the box. Both come off with a little prying in a single piece. See the instructions for removing this from grp52. Excellent instructions

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...or-casing.html

I've removed this panel myself, and while I had to put in more force than I wanted, the pieces came out as described and without breaking or damage. They didnt get bent or turn white where they bent; they simply came out.

Old 12-16-23 | 01:57 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

I forgot what the 7ES door seals look like exactly (can you post a pic of yours?) but from what I remember, like any other car, you just pull them down with your fingers. then they just press back on and you tap it with your fist. might be nice to wear gloves so you don't dirty your headliner. or make sure your hands are clean.
So, they seem to be attached in more places than regular cars. You can't really peel back the seal from the exterior side, the way you can in other cars. They feel very securely attached; almost as if they were glued in a strip.

As for the pillar covers, pretty sure they pull straight out. you can ask some members here to chime in. i think i remember pulling my b pillar panel by just yanking on it. look for pictures of used parts on ebay to see what clips they have behind them.
Do you know which members might know best? Thanks for the info. I know you sold your ES for a tesla, but thanks for the info.