ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Power trunk with kick

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 11:06 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Question Power trunk with kick

2024 ES 350. My trunk is not consistent. If I use the kick it opens and closes all the way. Sometimes when I open the trunk with the button on the hood it power opens. Other times it just pops the trunk open. Same thing happens intermittently with the button by the driver. Usually when it just pops open and then lift the lid manually the button on the inside of the lid doesn't work.
Question: Is the button inside the car supposed to just open the trunk or also close it?
Anyone else have issues?
Old 12-19-23, 11:31 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

A little inconsistent but most of the time all three choices open the trunk all the way. If your hand is even lightly resting on the trunk lid it will only unlock.

Dave Mac
Old 12-19-23, 11:52 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Question

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
A little inconsistent but most of the time all three choices open the trunk all the way. If your hand is even lightly resting on the trunk lid it will only unlock.

Dave Mac
Thanks Dave. Is the button by the driver suppose to close it as well as open it?
Old 12-19-23, 12:37 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Only the button on the inside lip of the trunk lid closes the trunk. The other buttons only open the trunk. Alternatively you can manually pull the trunk closed.
The following users liked this post:
YumpinYiminy (12-19-23)
Old 12-20-23, 09:55 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

After having an RX for a few years, in which the dash button both opened and closed the rear hatch, I was surprised to find that the ES350 dash button only opened the trunk. I checked the manual, and carefully read the description, which confirmed it, but not as directly as it should have. (Note that the manual only refers to the button on the dash as the "Trunk Opener Switch.")
However, it you have the car with the feature that opens the trunk when you kick under the back bumper, you will find that the kick trick also closes the trunk. (Manual, Section 3-2: "When the kick sensor detects that your foot is pulled back, a buzzer will sound and the trunk will automatically fully open/close.")
YumpinYiminy (12-20-23)
Old 12-20-23, 11:35 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It is frustrating that the remote does not also close the trunk.

you have to practice the kick. The required position is pretty narrow and also there is a timing to it. Sensei Lexus say “again!”

Old 12-20-23, 12:07 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Both the button on the trunk and the kick sensor will close the trunk but not the button on the dash - I sometimes wish it would but see the hazard and liability issues.

Dave Mac
YumpinYiminy (12-20-23)
Old 12-20-23, 12:48 PM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

It's has proven to be a real inconvenience. Whenever I let my hostage go on the edge of town, I have to tell him to close the trunk as he leaves.
The following 2 users liked this post by tfischer:
F3Woody (12-20-23), UltraLux22 (12-21-23)
Old 12-20-23, 03:04 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tfischer
It's has proven to be a real inconvenience. Whenever I let my hostage go on the edge of town, I have to tell him to close the trunk as he leaves.
Still better than digging those ditches...
Old 12-20-23, 03:05 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,289 Likes on 897 Posts

Last week I was washing my Lexus and while drying it the trunk was open. I was wiping/drying the black plastic on the bottom of the rear bumper while holding onto the bottom edge of the trunk opening just above the license tag with my right hand. I somehow tripped the switch with the drying towel and the trunk started to close - with my hand holding onto the edge... I didn't hear the whistle indicating that the lid was closing and just barely got my hand out with a light scrape. Lesson learned.
Old 12-20-23, 03:45 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

There's no pinch protection? That would surprise me. power windows must have this after kids chocked to death playing with their heads in them; Im sure it applies to power trunk lids also.
Old 12-20-23, 04:08 PM
spalf
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I felt the same way about the inconsistent trunk kick sensor when I first got my 2022 ES350. I've learned that your leg needs to come directly from the center of the trunk and (here's the trick) if you touch the top of your foot to the underside of the car, it works every time. Does for me anyway.
Old 12-20-23, 06:20 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Question

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Both the button on the trunk and the kick sensor will close the trunk but not the button on the dash - I sometimes wish it would but see the hazard and liability issues.

Dave Mac
Thank you Dave. A real answer. Have you had the problem of it not operating correctly. I had a new one today. It would not recognize my foot. Tried several places.
Old 12-20-23, 06:24 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Talking

Originally Posted by tfischer
After having an RX for a few years, in which the dash button both opened and closed the rear hatch, I was surprised to find that the ES350 dash button only opened the trunk. I checked the manual, and carefully read the description, which confirmed it, but not as directly as it should have. (Note that the manual only refers to the button on the dash as the "Trunk Opener Switch.")
However, it you have the car with the feature that opens the trunk when you kick under the back bumper, you will find that the kick trick also closes the trunk. (Manual, Section 3-2: "When the kick sensor detects that your foot is pulled back, a buzzer will sound and the trunk will automatically fully open/close.")
You noticed that part in the manual as well. Could be clearer.
Old 12-20-23, 07:26 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

It only recognizes your foot if you have the keyfob in your pocket - I've fallen for this a couple of times. The button, on the other hand works whenever the car is unlocked.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: Power trunk with kick