End of year offer price suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-23, 02:28 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Denzlex
I wonder if they’d just give you less for your trade so they still get the number they want.
Yes they will. That's why they ask early in the conversation if you have a trade. Get the Out The Door Price first. Then talk trade.
The 2024 ES 350 they had on the showroom floor had a ~5% sale. I talked them down to 9.5%. They then offered a insulting value for my trade. I was trading a mint 2013 Avalon Limited w/tech pkg. I kept refusing the offer until they came up another $1800. I thought that was still a bit low but if compared to the current used car market. It would now be considered a fair to good price. The reason I said the first offer on my trade was insulting is that someone at the dealership bought it the next day even with the extra $1800.
didn't get the car I wanted but the deal was to good to pass up. Especially if you consider that Lexus may never build even close to what I want. Don't get me wrong. I am very happy with the car.
Old 12-25-23, 04:12 AM
Bruins2023
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Another tip: The first thing the salesman will ask you is "do you have a trade?" Tell him no, I don't even if you have one. You can add the trade in later AFTER you get the price of the car you want. Don't feel bad about being deceptive because they want to mix up the numbers between your trade and the price of the car...
Not sure I understand this logic if you know what number you want for the new vehicle and trade
Old 12-25-23, 08:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by BBQapple
The times I’ve bought new it usually took 5-7 days and multiple visits to get the best deal.
With my ES, it took more than a month until they called me back to accept my offer. But it was a brand new model then.
Old 12-25-23, 04:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,287 Likes on 996 Posts

There are multiple Youtube videos on how to negotiate a car purchase. Watch a few of those!
Old 12-26-23, 12:26 PM
UTChE96
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Another tip: The first thing the salesman will ask you is "do you have a trade?" Tell him no, I don't even if you have one. You can add the trade in later AFTER you get the price of the car you want. Don't feel bad about being deceptive because they want to mix up the numbers between your trade and the price of the car...
Never do a trade in with the dealer. There is no reason to do so. Especially now with multiple car buying services. The dealer will not come close to the offer you will get from Carmax or Carvana.
Old 12-26-23, 12:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UTChE96
Never do a trade in with the dealer. There is no reason to do so. Especially now with multiple car buying services. The dealer will not come close to the offer you will get from Carmax or Carvana.
Don't forget the sales tax offset if that applies in your state. The dealers will come close enough to Carvana so that with the offset, just hand it off to them. Of course their initial offer will be laughable so be smart.
The following users liked this post:
wasjr (12-28-23)
Old 12-26-23, 12:34 PM
UTChE96
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Don't forget the sales tax offset if that applies in your state. The dealers will come close enough to Carvana so that with the offset, just hand it off to them. Of course their initial offer will be laughable so be smart.
I do not like to complicate the deal with multiple transactions. Dealers love complexity so they can deceive buyers with a sleight of hand. Keep it simple. If you really want to do a trade in then dont say so until the end and bring in the highest offer in hand (from carmax or carvana) as leverage.
Old 12-26-23, 12:48 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I do not like to complicate the deal with multiple transactions. Dealers love complexity so they can deceive buyers with a sleight of hand. Keep it simple. If you really want to do a trade in then dont say so until the end and bring in the highest offer in hand (from carmax or carvana) as leverage.
I've done it so many times over the years- to me the buy and trade is a single transaction if the $ makes sense. Buying from dealer and selling to third party - that's multiple transactions. Dealers can't deceive you if you're smart!
Old 12-26-23, 01:01 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I've personally sold my last four cars. I sold a 2015 Corvette in 2019 on eBay Motors in eleven days for what I asked for it. That buyer bought the car sight unseen and sent an enclosed trailer to pick it up. I sold a 2014 Mercedes Benz in 2020 on eBay Motors in ten days. The new owner flew down, met me at his bank, gave me a bank check that he got while I was watching, and I handed him the keys and title and he drove it back home. eBay Motors is a very painless experience and reaches a nationwide audience. You can set up your listing to attract only people who are really interested.

I sold a highly modified 2009 Corvette on FB Marketplace in 2021 and what a disaster that was with the tire kickers and the "I can't afford it so I'm going to tell you over and over it's overpriced" jerks. But I sold it in ten days and got exactly what I asked for it. Never again.

Two weeks ago I put my 2020 Silverado 2500HD on my FB timeline and told my friends I was going to list it and how much I was going to ask. I had four friends message me that day wanting the truck and another friend called me at 7:30 the next morning. We made a deal over the phone. I met him at his bank that afternoon and two days later sealed the deal on my 2024 Lexus ES350 F Sport with my dealer.

The car market is nuts and has been since Covid. I'm not wasting my time on any car buying service who will usually only offer wholesale or very close to it nor will I trade in another car. There are just too many different ways to find your buyer now online. Patience is a virtue in the car sales world.
Old 12-26-23, 01:08 PM
UTChE96
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I've done it so many times over the years- to me the buy and trade is a single transaction if the $ makes sense. Buying from dealer and selling to third party - that's multiple transactions. Dealers can't deceive you if you're smart!
Getting one bid on your vehicle sale doesnt sound very smart to me. Again, a dealer will not match a car buyers offer. I have first hand experience with this. The dealer will likely offer you 10-20% less than Carmax or Caravana. The only way a dealer will give you a good trade in offer is if they screwed you on the sale price.

Last edited by UTChE96; 12-26-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-26-23, 01:39 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Getting one bid on your vehicle sale doesnt sound very smart to me. Again, a dealer will not match a car buyers offer. I have first hand experience with this. The dealer will likely offer you 10-20% less than Carmax or Caravana. The only way a dealer will give you a good trade in offer is if they screwed you on the sale price.
Okay if you say so😉
Old 12-26-23, 02:51 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

If your trade in is valuable there’s a significant tax advantage to trading in as opposed to selling it separately then using the money towards your next purchase. In Texas the new car sales tax is over 6 percent and your trade in portion isnt taxed. So you need to see how much it’s worth to sell on its own and then see if the difference makes up for the sales tax you’d pay on that portion.
Old 12-27-23, 12:55 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BBQapple
If your trade in is valuable there’s a significant tax advantage to trading in as opposed to selling it separately then using the money towards your next purchase. In Texas the new car sales tax is over 6 percent and your trade in portion isnt taxed. So you need to see how much it’s worth to sell on its own and then see if the difference makes up for the sales tax you’d pay on that portion.
Not necessarily true. I won't count the states that do not give you a tax savings on your trade.
Your paying $50,000 for the car. The dealer will give you $13,000 for your trade. Say the sales tax is 8%. 13000 X 8% = $1,040. If you sell it yourself. Selling it for anything over $14,040 is profit.
However, easier said than done. Depending on age (10 years), it maybe hard for a buyer to find financing. Also the price your asking for the car maybe out of reach for the average Joe.
UTChE96 (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 01:14 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

You really don't need a doctorate in mathematics to figure this out😉
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dklanecky1 (12-28-23), FastDawg (12-28-23), YumpinYiminy (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 01:48 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by FastDawg
I've personally sold my last four cars. I sold a 2015 Corvette in 2019 on eBay Motors in eleven days for what I asked for it. That buyer bought the car sight unseen and sent an enclosed trailer to pick it up. I sold a 2014 Mercedes Benz in 2020 on eBay Motors in ten days. The new owner flew down, met me at his bank, gave me a bank check that he got while I was watching, and I handed him the keys and title and he drove it back home. eBay Motors is a very painless experience and reaches a nationwide audience. You can set up your listing to attract only people who are really interested.

I sold a highly modified 2009 Corvette on FB Marketplace in 2021 and what a disaster that was with the tire kickers and the "I can't afford it so I'm going to tell you over and over it's overpriced" jerks. But I sold it in ten days and got exactly what I asked for it. Never again.

Two weeks ago I put my 2020 Silverado 2500HD on my FB timeline and told my friends I was going to list it and how much I was going to ask. I had four friends message me that day wanting the truck and another friend called me at 7:30 the next morning. We made a deal over the phone. I met him at his bank that afternoon and two days later sealed the deal on my 2024 Lexus ES350 F Sport with my dealer.

The car market is nuts and has been since Covid. I'm not wasting my time on any car buying service who will usually only offer wholesale or very close to it nor will I trade in another car. There are just too many different ways to find your buyer now online. Patience is a virtue in the car sales world.
Helpful and informative post. Thanks for sharing it. I know someone who's sold a lot of cars in this manner, and your way of doing it right at the bank is the way to go. That, or for lower-dollar transactions, cash in a public place.
FastDawg (12-28-23)

Quick Reply: End of year offer price suggestions?