ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Which trim/year has most of these features?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 11:47 AM
trexiic
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which trim/year has most of these features?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a >2019 ES, and there are a lot of options that are not available on all trims and model years, so I was wondering if I could get some advice on which trim/model year would check the most boxes.

I'm looking for:
  • Red interior is a must (only f-sport trims?)
  • Android auto is a must, ideally wireless
  • Heads-up display (only ES 350?)
  • AWD (only ES 250?)
  • Touch screen (only 2022+?)
  • Kick-activated/automatic opening/closing trunk (not that important honestly)
I think I'll either have to find 2020-2021 ES 250 f-sport, but I'm not sure those have the heads-up display, and they don't have the touch screen. As for wireless android auto, there are adapters.
Or I find a 2022+ ES 350 f-sport, but those are not AWD

Thanks!

Edit: bonus questions:
  • What's the interior width in the backseats? Since the back seats don't fold down, would it be possible to fit a snowboard across the backseats, diagonally somehow?
  • The 2021 I drove had the HUD with turn by turn for navigation.. using Lexus navigation. But now I read online that this HUD turn by turn feature doesn't work with android auto + google map/waze, is that right?

Last edited by trexiic; 12-23-23 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-23-23, 01:52 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

- Red interior is F sport exclusive
- Android Auto wireless is standard with 12.3" Navi package if I recall, and wireless as well, iirc
- Option
- Only the ES 250, FWD otherwise
- 2022+, yes
- option

I have a 22 F Sport and the only thing I did was to buy a dongle that made it AA wireless. No HUD, not a fan of it, but would be ok if I did have it. The power trunk I didn't think I'd find it necessary, but it's been clutch, really like the feature. The only thing about it I hate is that you can't close the trunk from the inside or keyfob, what a misstep by Lexus there.

Last edited by dezymond; 12-23-23 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-23-23, 02:03 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

IMO I think the reason you can not close the trunk with the remote or the button in the car is, if you had a over sized item and the trunk closed on it would damage the trunk lid and or the item in the trunk.
Old 12-23-23, 02:17 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

That’s not the case because the trunk lid automatically stops if hits something while closing.
Old 12-23-23, 02:21 PM
trexiic
5th Gear

Can anyone confirm if there's a version of this car on which the HUD turn-by-turn feature works with Android?
Old 12-23-23, 02:47 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh
That’s not the case because the trunk lid automatically stops if hits something while closing.
It didn't in my car? Go test it out..
Old 12-23-23, 05:15 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by trexiic
  • What's the interior width in the backseats? Since the back seats don't fold down, would it be possible to fit a snowboard across the backseats, diagonally somehow?...
How wide and thick is your snowboard?

The rear seat pass through into the trunk is a rectangular opening with a diagonal of approximately 28 cm. A search result indicates the standard width of a snowboard is 25 cm. So, if your snowboard isn't to thick you might be able to fit your snowboard through the trunk pass through by tilting it.

According to Lexus official specs, the rear hip room is 54.3 inches; however, if you measure the width above the rear seat door arm rests the maximum width is approximately 58.5 inches. For what I think will be the maximum diagonal measurement in the rear seat area, from the angle vertex of the footwell bottom and outer vertical footwell edge to the opposite side's top of the window glass where it seats into the door's window frame the distance is about 65 inches. (To get the maximum diagonal, the front seat on the side with the upward pointing end of the snowboard will be restricted on how far to the rear the seat can be adjusted. The front seat back tops curve to the rear and that can interfere, I think, with getting a snowboard positioned at the maximum diagonal extent.)

You probably should subtract some from those measurements to allow for some padding of the snowboard ends so as to not damage the interior from hard snowboard edges pressing/rubbing on the interior as you're driving down the road.

Last edited by grp52; 12-23-23 at 05:18 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
The following users liked this post:
trexiic (12-23-23)
Old 12-23-23, 05:31 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
- Red interior is F sport exclusive
- Android Auto wireless is standard with 12.3" Navi package if I recall, and wireless as well, iirc
- Option
- Only the ES 250, FWD otherwise
- 2022+, yes
- option

I have a 22 F Sport and the only thing I did was to buy a dongle that made it AA wireless. No HUD, not a fan of it, but would be ok if I did have it. The power trunk I didn't think I'd find it necessary, but it's been clutch, really like the feature. The only thing about it I hate is that you can't close the trunk from the inside or keyfob, what a misstep by Lexus there.
No Android Auto in 2019 MY. Not sure what year they added it. Mine has HUD but I never use it either. Find it distracting.
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (12-23-23)
Old 12-23-23, 05:36 PM
trexiic
5th Gear

Oh wow thanks for all the measurements! We'll buy a bag for the snowboard as to not scratch/soil anything in the back, but as for the measurements it should fit.

I still have to figure out whether Google Maps on Android Auto will work with the HUD.

For the touch screen / wireless AA I suppose I don't really care, so I'll just have to find a 2020-2021 f-sport model with the options I need.
Old 12-23-23, 10:03 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
No Android Auto in 2019 MY. Not sure what year they added it. Mine has HUD but I never use it either. Find it distracting.
Android Auto support was added with October 2019 and later production 2020 model year ESs.

If you go to My Lexus RESOURCES, select a ES 300h or ES 350 model type and 2020 model year, and click on the "SUBMIT" button to update the web page and the links to the appropriate resources you'll see there's two versions of all the manuals - "... THROUGH SEPT. 2019 PROD. ..." and "... FROM 0CT. 2019 PROD. ...". The "... THROUGH SEPT. 2019 PROD. NAVIGATION AND MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM OWNER'S MANUAL" only includes Apple CarPlay; whereas, the "... FROM OCT. 2019 PROD. NAVIGATION AND MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM OWNER'S MANUAL" includes both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

P.S. The above applies to US sold ESs. For Canada, there's only one 2020 Navigation System Owner's Manual and it only includes Apple CarPlay. I would assume Canadian sold 2020 ESs would track the same Android Auto availability as US sold 2020 ESs but there's nothing in the Canadian manual versioning to show Android Auto becoming available at some point during the 2020 model year.
Old 12-23-23, 10:45 PM
grp52
Instructor

... We'll buy a bag for the snowboard as to not scratch/soil anything in the back...
The synthetic leather and soft touch materials used on the door cards/panels are easily damaged. (See What kind of upholstery is used in the Lexus ES300h? bliznik's post #1 for example photos.)

Depending upon how you're planning to stow your snowboard, a thin cloth or ballistic nylon bag may not have sufficient padding on the hard, sharp corner edges to protect the door card materials from damage.
Old 12-24-23, 06:04 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

It's great you're narrowing down the year and options. I'm looking for an ES350 UL. I imagine you'll find the same as I, there are only a few spread across the country. With patience and flexibility we'll both find the right one. Best wishes.
Old 12-24-23, 06:52 AM
trexiic
5th Gear

Yeah but I'm not in a hurry, I'll wait for the perfect trim/year over the course of the next year. Now I know what I'm looking for, so I won't have to wait for a combination that doesn't exist.
  • 2020-2021 250: the 250 is AWD and has the f-sport trim in those model years.
  • 2020-2021 350: same thing mostly, but no AWD although better performance and trunk capacity
  • 2022+ 350: touch screen/wireless android auto
I figure I can use a wireless android auto adapter. I don't care much for the touch screen, I barely use it. The HUD won't work with Google map on android sadly, but I'd still like that option. And all these trims have the option for automatic trunk opening-closing, HUD, bigger screen, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, red interior.
SI I'll keep an eye on those 3 trims and wait for a good deal.. and yeah, in Canada - Quebec, there's like 1 or 2 available at a time, so I'll have to wait a bit haha

​​
Old 12-25-23, 12:11 PM
darkknightntpa
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, I'm looking to buy a >2019 ES, and there are a lot of options that are not available on all trims and model years, so I was wondering if I could get some advice on which trim/model year would check the most boxes.

I'm looking for:
  • Red interior is a must (only f-sport trims?)
  • Android auto is a must, ideally wireless
  • Heads-up display (only ES 350?)
  • AWD (only ES 250?)
  • Touch screen (only 2022+?)
  • Kick-activated/automatic opening/closing trunk (not that important honestly)
I think I'll either have to find 2020-2021 ES 250 f-sport, but I'm not sure those have the heads-up display, and they don't have the touch screen. As for wireless android auto, there are adapters.
Or I find a 2022+ ES 350 f-sport, but those are not AWD

Thanks!

• What's the interior width in the backseats? Since the back seats don't fold down, would it be possible to fit a snowboard across the backseats, diagonally somehow?
  • The 2021 I drove had the HUD with turn by turn for navigation.. using Lexus navigation. But now I read online that this HUD turn by turn feature doesn't work with android auto + google map/waze, is that right?
I just purchased the 2023 ES350, and the HUD is available for all trim levels, additionally Android Auto Wireless is standard as far as i know.
Old 12-25-23, 12:49 PM
trexiic
5th Gear

Is there anything else I should consider when choosing between the 250 2020-2021, 350 2020-2021 and 350 2022+?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Which trim/year has most of these features?