ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

How To Get Wood Trim In Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-23, 06:50 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts
Default How To Get Wood Trim In Steering Wheel

When I bought my 2021 ES 350 new in 2021,wood trim was included I think as part of the premium package and I got beautiful wood trim inserted in my heated leather steering wheel. Maybe it came with the heated steering wheel. I don’t remember 3 years ago.
In any event, I’m considering a 2024 at end of model year. In the build on line, I was able to get wood in steering wheel as pictured when I selected the accessory of wood trim and ambient lighting for an extra $130. Doesn’t seem to bear out in the real world though of models on dealers lots (on line) or the Lexus build. It now seems to require Luxury model (mine’s Base with Premium Package, and many extras I wanted—-perfect for me) with genuine leather and electronica I do not want.
Is there any way in a 2024 ES 350 to get leather steering wheel with wood inserted in it without having to go up to today’s equivalent of the Luxury Package?
Old 12-26-23, 07:22 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I see the wood trim with ambient lighting on the build site for $130. But when I look at a factory sticker, it has a premium package with the wood trim for $360? So, what's the difference between "wood trim with ambient lighting" and "wood trim." And, wood trim is listed as part of the premium package on the build site.

Last edited by Myshkyn; 12-26-23 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-26-23, 08:26 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by Myshkyn
I see the wood trim with ambient lighting on the build site for $130. But when I look at a factory sticker, it has a premium package with the wood trim for $360? So, what's the difference between "wood trim with ambient lighting" and "wood trim." And, wood trim is listed as part of the premium package on the build site.

But it doesn’t seem that the wood trim is also in the heated steering wheel until you go up to the model level of Luxury, which includes real leather, etc. It’s a bit of a conundrum.
Old 12-26-23, 08:58 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
But it doesn’t seem that the wood trim is also in the heated steering wheel until you go up to the model level of Luxury, which includes real leather, etc. It’s a bit of a conundrum.
So, are you saying that the leather heated steering wheel with the premium package doesn't allow for wood trim in the steering wheel despite having the "wood trim" and "wood trim with ambient lighting." That might be correct if the only way to get the heated leather with wood is with the feature: "Heated wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel, windshield wiper de-icer and fast-response interior heater." That feature is only available on the luxury and ultra lux trims.

Last edited by Myshkyn; 12-26-23 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-26-23, 09:35 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Myshkyn
So, are you saying that the leather heated steering wheel with the premium package doesn't allow for wood trim in the steering wheel despite having the "wood trim" and "wood trim with ambient lighting." That might be correct if the only way to get the heated leather with wood is with the feature: "Heated wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel, windshield wiper de-icer and fast-response interior heater." That feature is only available on the luxury and ultra lux trims.
I believe that is exactly what he is saying, and that is my understanding of the trim schedule also. If you must have the wood trimed steering wheel, you need it to say "heated wood- and leather- trimmed stearing wheel".

By the way, the wood trimmed steering wheel has no heating elements behind the wood, so you get this weird sensation of heat only on one side of the hand. It's a bit strange on a cold day. However, I think the wood trimmed steering wheel has a nice feel and is worth it.
Old 12-26-23, 09:48 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

On my LS, the heat is only behind leather wrap at 9 and 3 on the wheel, not behind the wood. Hope you can get what you want.
Old 12-27-23, 07:23 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
On my LS, the heat is only behind leather wrap at 9 and 3 on the wheel, not behind the wood. Hope you can get what you want.
On the ES it's all the way around, but stronger at 9 and 3.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 08:13 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by minotaar
On the ES it's all the way around, but stronger at 9 and 3.
Yes, on my 2021, my wooded leather heated wheel is warmed all the way around but warmer at 9 and 3. Fine with me as I’m in FL through the winter.
Yes, again, the above posted analysis appears correct. Bottom line, you’ve got to buy Luxury or higher to get wood with heated leather steering wheel. That’s a high price to pay and I won’t pay it, since I don’t want the leather seats and additional electronica.
On my 2021, the wood and leather heated wheel were easily available on Base, which I have. I think I’ll just keep mine for a few more years then or until I see the bundling arrangements on the 8 Gen. Mine’s perfect for me in every way and like new with light use
Old 12-27-23, 01:54 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Yes, on my 2021, my wooded leather heated wheel is warmed all the way around but warmer at 9 and 3. Fine with me as I’m in FL through the winter.
Yes, again, the above posted analysis appears correct. Bottom line, you’ve got to buy Luxury or higher to get wood with heated leather steering wheel. That’s a high price to pay and I won’t pay it, since I don’t want the leather seats and additional electronica.
On my 2021, the wood and leather heated wheel were easily available on Base, which I have. I think I’ll just keep mine for a few more years then or until I see the bundling arrangements on the 8 Gen. Mine’s perfect for me in every way and like new with light use
The reason to buy an ES is to keep it for 10-20 years. I don't expect the next gen to have anything compelling to offer that the 7th gen doesn't, unless you crave more horsepower with AWD than the current 250 offered.
Old 12-27-23, 02:23 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Presently plenty horse power at 302 and I’m not interested in AWD. So current 2021 ES 350 is perfect for me. Just prefer the latest styling if I can make that work. Might not be doable this time around though with the re-styled ES expected to be sans the beloved V6, too great a sacrifice to get updated styling.
Old 12-27-23, 05:06 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

My 23 300h base with Premium package has the optional wood trim and ambient lighting and heated steering wheel (plus a few other options). The wheel is just leather without wood but when I bought last year there were some base Premiums on the lot that had wood wheel also.
Old 12-27-23, 05:10 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
The reason to buy an ES is to keep it for 10-20 years.
That's certianly a reason, but not my plan and I assume most buyers trade within five years.
Old 12-27-23, 06:09 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by BBQapple
My 23 300h base with Premium package has the optional wood trim and ambient lighting and heated steering wheel (plus a few other options). The wheel is just leather without wood but when I bought last year there were some base Premiums on the lot that had wood wheel also.
Re-opens and again confuses the issue🤔
Old 12-27-23, 09:38 PM
Shaboom
Racer

I couldn’t possibly do it myself. Hoping it’ll be available as an option for the base model with premium package like the 2021 I have. We’ll soon find out.
Old 12-28-23, 01:29 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexTess
If all you care about is the wood trim steering wheel, buy whatever ES you want and then replace the steering wheel after buying it, if needed. The dealer would be able to supply and install it for you for a cost. The last OEM leather steering wheel I replaced (on my F-150) was nearly $700. I replaced it DIY.
It’s about $1500 if I recall correctly, not cheap

I installed a wheel on a Jag years ago which was really easy

Quick Reply: How To Get Wood Trim In Steering Wheel