ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Will We Get A.S.S. In 2025

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 12:28 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I owned a 2014 MB E350 AMG Cabriolet from 2019-2021 that had it. It had zero issues when I owned it and never bothered me.
Old 12-29-23, 03:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by FastDawg
I owned a 2014 MB E350 AMG Cabriolet from 2019-2021 that had it. It had zero issues when I owned it and never bothered me.
I think the 1st car I had with A.S.S. was a 2016 Audi A6 and it worked fine. You could disable it, but we left it on. Since then, each car we've had has had it and the feature(??) has improved over the model years. Our current cars are a '19 BMW 5 series and a '24 X3. We leave it on in both cars and don't give it a second thought. It's pretty seamless in both.

Probably a moot point with the rollouts of more and more hybrids, mild hybrids and EV's.
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (12-29-23)
Old 12-29-23, 04:59 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

I really don’t get why it bothers people so much. Our 14 MB was the first and only vehicle that had it and after buying a four year old car (CPO) and having no problems with it I think the auto manufacturers have it right.
Old 12-29-23, 05:38 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

I really don’t get why it bothers people so much. Our 14 MB was the first and only vehicle that had it and after buying a four year old car (CPO) and having no problems with it I think the auto manufacturers have it right.
Because it's generally annoying and, if executed poorly as it often has been, causes jerkiness and hesitation.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexFinally:
ATL350 (12-30-23), shoodes (01-02-24), TechNut (12-30-23)
Old 12-29-23, 07:21 PM
bkomoff
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My last 2 BMW's had *** with a button to turn it off. But as noted before, you had to activate every time...except BMW is really easy to code various features with a product called Bimmercode. I was able to code the *** off permanently. I just picked up a 2024 ES300h Ultra Luxury and with the Hybrid motor engaging when you start, and also when you accelerate at low speeds, you don't even feel the motor kicking in.
Old 12-30-23, 06:55 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

I have driven several vehicles with it, such as rentals and when I still had my Mercedes E350 (just prior to my '22 ES350 UL) and every single one of them was annoying in operation. MB in particular wud often cause the engine and car to shudder on such starts. I get the idea, and it's fine that some people can get used to it, but I found it very annoying in each instance. You would think that cars at this price point would be seamless, but that just seems to be marketing speak. They're irritating in their execution.
Old 12-30-23, 07:23 AM
Bruins2023
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I think these engines are designed to take this, so I wouldn’t worry as much about the engine, but I would worry more about the longevity of the starter. With a hybrid, there is no wear on a starter. Just a different comparison entirely. As a hybrid owner, I am fine with the “feel” of this behavior, but I have hated the jerky feeling in rentals I have used. I would never own one with this feature in a non-hybrid.
There's no wear on the starter because Toyota hybrids don't have one!
The following users liked this post:
LexTess (12-30-23)
Old 12-30-23, 08:46 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Because it's generally annoying and, if executed poorly as it often has been, causes jerkiness and hesitation.
I did know my engine was off in my MB at a stop but never had any issues with “jerkiness and hesitation.” How do one execute this poorly?
Old 12-30-23, 09:54 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruins2023
There's no wear on the starter because Toyota hybrids don't have one!
That was my point.
Old 12-30-23, 08:03 PM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I did know my engine was off in my MB at a stop but never had any issues with “jerkiness and hesitation.” How do one execute this poorly?
I think that even after we accommodate for different preferences, the idea that A.S.S results in "jerkiness and hesitation" is an exaggeration. The car works slightly differently from what a person is used to, so cry bloody murder! We should all still be driving those old reliable horses and buggies.
The following 2 users liked this post by minotaar:
FastDawg (12-31-23), shoodes (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 09:07 AM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Start-stop is inevitable. Whether you like it or not, it's going to end up happening on almost every vehicle over time. I hate to be that guy. It annoys me too.

Whenever I do drive a vehicle with auto start stop, I disable it immediately or try to find out how to disable it.
On my Genesis GV70, I actually just shoved a piece of paper into the button to keep it permanently off. I tried to live with it, but I couldn't. I would stop at a stop sign, shut off. I would try to park in my garage and it would shut off, then start back up again when I would go into reverse to adjust, then shut off when I stop, start back up when I put it in Park, just for me to turn it off again. It just annoyed me. I've read some people complain about the A/C blowing warmer when stopped at a light, but I really haven't noticed that from my experience.
It's not jerky and I haven't had much of the "hesitation" at lights, the technology is getting more mature, but it just bothers me that the engine likes to turn off at almost any point. A lot of these newer cars implementing A.S.S (great acronym) are also using a 48v Mild Hybrid system to replace the starter which "fixes" a lot of the issues people have with it. (Don't ask me about reliability. lol)

Hybrids have the best implementation of start-stop, but that's because they are practically made for it. We have an ES300h and it has the most seamless transition I've experienced. That may be because you can actually start moving before the engine turns.
Old 01-02-24, 09:16 AM
rainjacket
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the consensus is that auto start stop does not put any additional (meaningful amount of) wear on the engine. Usability wise it is definitely very annoying on non-hybrid cars though. I'm fine with it on hybrids.

Unfortunately it also doesn't really benefit gas mileage that much... it helps with meeting emissions standards more than it helps with mpg from the driver's POV.
Old 01-02-24, 09:21 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by shoodes
Start-stop is inevitable. Whether you like it or not, it's going to end up happening on almost every vehicle over time. I hate to be that guy. It annoys me too.

Whenever I do drive a vehicle with auto start stop, I disable it immediately or try to find out how to disable it.
On my Genesis GV70, I actually just shoved a piece of paper into the button to keep it permanently off. I tried to live with it, but I couldn't. I would stop at a stop sign, shut off. I would try to park in my garage and it would shut off, then start back up again when I would go into reverse to adjust, then shut off when I stop, start back up when I put it in Park, just for me to turn it off again. It just annoyed me. I've read some people complain about the A/C blowing warmer when stopped at a light, but I really haven't noticed that from my experience.
It's not jerky and I haven't had much of the "hesitation" at lights, the technology is getting more mature, but it just bothers me that the engine likes to turn off at almost any point. A lot of these newer cars implementing A.S.S (great acronym) are also using a 48v Mild Hybrid system to replace the starter which "fixes" a lot of the issues people have with it. (Don't ask me about reliability. lol)

Hybrids have the best implementation of start-stop, but that's because they are practically made for it. We have an ES300h and it has the most seamless transition I've experienced. That may be because you can actually start moving before the engine turns.
Very enlightening response by one who knows from experience. Confirms my thought.
Old 01-02-24, 10:42 AM
minotaar
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Bad implementation of A.S.S. if the AC blows warmer when stopped. The engine should not stop if it is going to compromise the climate control, unless the user is already running it on "low" and the car is only trying to make the car as cold as possible.
Old 01-02-24, 11:12 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 332 Likes on 210 Posts

This is the first time I've ever heard someone WANTING auto start/stop lol.

Quick Reply: Will We Get A.S.S. In 2025