ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2024 ES 300h vs the 2025?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 08:57 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by TDRyan
I bought a 300h F-Sport Handling on Saturday because I saved $9,500 off MSRP.
Congratulations! That's a helluva deal on an excellent, reliable car.
Old 01-09-24, 09:14 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
As for the 8th gen, many are hesitant to get a first model year. Yes there could be more bugs and of course fixes along the way as years go by, but that never deterred me from getting a brand new model year. We have a 2013 GS 350 in the family which has had absolutely zero issues and feels as good as it did day 1. I had a 2015 TLX before and loved that car for the 6yrs and 105k miles driven that I had it. I for one, have not, and won't ever be afraid to buy first year models.
I agree that a first year, new gen, Lexus, or any Japanese car, is less of a risk than others. However, even the Japanese new gens will be more prone to bugs, recalls, fixes than mid or late gen Japanese vehicles. So, while it is a slight risk, it is still a risk.
Old 01-09-24, 09:20 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemu30
He's shopping for a hybrid so V6 not an issue for him.
Thanks for clarifying this!

My wife's current ES is a V6, and we love it. However, we are trying to be more environmentally conscious by going with the hybrid. Too, we have heard reports the 300h feels a bit more quiet and comfortable. I know these opinions are subjective, but, I drove both variants and tend to agree.
Old 01-09-24, 09:29 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000

My wife's current ES is a V6, and we love it. However, we are trying to be more environmentally conscious by going with the hybrid. Too, we have heard reports the 300h feels a bit more quiet and comfortable. I know these opinions are subjective, but, I drove both variants and tend to agree.
You'll love it I'm sure - good luck.
Old 01-09-24, 09:37 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TDRyan
I bought a 300h F-Sport Handling on Saturday because I saved $9,500 off MSRP. I pointed out the redesign and my price negotiations lasted 20 minutes at the most with a ceramic tint thrown in...I would rather have the savings on the MPG and price now.
Wow, great deal! I saw a lot of F-sport handling models available while searching for my rarer luxury variant. So, it is not surprising the sporty ES isn't selling as well, and open to steep discounts. Most ES buyers want the emphasis on luxury, not handling. I like the exterior white of the F-sport better than the pearl white of the luxury, but don't want the burden of the more complex, electronically controlled suspension (it's just more expensive things to fix once failed). I also like the palomino interior better than the F-sport interior color offerings, although, I like the ash/bamboo. Originally, I thought I would have more overall color choices since Lexus now offers the F-sport "design" package, which provides the F-sport trim without the handling package, but upon a nationwide search, I only found one in the whole country. Talk about a unicorn!
Old 01-09-24, 10:03 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

That’s a plus but I’ve read that if you're keeping the car for the long haul, the battery replacement can cost seven or eight thousand dollars or even more then. If you’re a shorter term owner, I would think the car’s resale value will be downwardly adjusted each year, as it gets closer to battery replacement time.
Old 01-09-24, 10:08 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Wow, great deal! I saw a lot of F-sport handling models available while searching for my rarer luxury variant. So, it is not surprising the sporty ES isn't selling as well, and open to steep discounts. Most ES buyers want the emphasis on luxury, not handling. I like the exterior white of the F-sport better than the pearl white of the luxury, but don't want the burden of the more complex, electronically controlled suspension (it's just more expensive things to fix once failed). I also like the palomino interior better than the F-sport interior color offerings, although, I like the ash/bamboo. Originally, I thought I would have more overall color choices since Lexus now offers the F-sport "design" package, which provides the F-sport trim without the handling package, but upon a nationwide search, I only found one in the whole country. Talk about a unicorn!
I went through that Design search, too, as I found it appealing. Emphasis on sporty appearance rather than performance. Suits me. They came out with it but made so few. BMW does it with their M package. Easily available there.
Old 01-09-24, 10:19 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I agree that a first year, new gen, Lexus, or any Japanese car, is less of a risk than others. However, even the Japanese new gens will be more prone to bugs, recalls, fixes than mid or late gen Japanese vehicles. So, while it is a slight risk, it is still a risk.
I own a first year car from the current generation and have experienced no issues, but I would recommend caution on new Gen vehicles. Just look at the subforums for the latest Gen NX and to a lesser extent, the new Gen RX. They have had more than the typical number of problems. They have even temporarily has sales pauses on one NX model and one RX model (500h). Most of the issues have been related to electronics. If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and go for the 2024. As another poster already shared, they may not introduce the next generation until 2026 anyway so waiting for 2025 wouldn’t garner a new gen model. There is some precedence for this as they ran the last RX Gen for 7 years.
The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 11:16 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shaboom
That’s a plus but I’ve read that if you're keeping the car for the long haul, the battery replacement can cost seven or eight thousand dollars or even more then. If you’re a shorter term owner, I would think the car’s resale value will be downwardly adjusted each year, as it gets closer to battery replacement time.
All true, but we're buying hybrid for environmental concerns, not for economics. Some of the cost considerations you mentioned will be offset by the fuel-cost savings, but not all. I'm hoping there will be new, less expensive, alternative battery replacement strategies evolving over the years as more and more hybrids are sold. Perhaps the manufactures/government need to set standards for battery packs, just like they do for 12V car batteries, in order to help keep cost under control for consumers.
Old 01-09-24, 11:20 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TechNut
There is some precedence for this as they ran the last RX Gen for 7 years.
Agreed! Too, we waited even longer for the new Tundra. After such a long wait, it was a huge disappointment, to boot!
Old 01-09-24, 11:29 AM
Shaboom
Racer

All true, but we're buying hybrid for environmental concerns, not for economics. Some of the cost considerations you mentioned will be offset by the fuel-cost savings, but not all. I'm hoping there will be new, less expensive, alternative battery replacement strategies evolving over the years as more and more hybrids are sold. Perhaps the manufactures/government need to set standards for battery packs, just like they do for 12V car batteries, in order to help keep cost under control for consumers.
Hope so but even the supposed environmental benefits are debatable because the initial manufacture and final disposition of the batteries are environmentally detrimental. It’s all a real conundrum…
Old 01-09-24, 12:03 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Hope so but even the supposed environmental benefits are debatable because the initial manufacture and final disposition of the batteries are environmentally detrimental. It’s all a real conundrum…
I've read the debates, both on CL and elsewhere. My conclusion is the exhaust emission reductions are of upmost importance. The battery waste consideration is significant, but secondary. In reality, who knows, and as you say...a conundrum. BTW...I like your stance of raising the issue without attempting to sound like an authority who knows the real truth. So, thanks for that!
LexFinally (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 01:28 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

The long haul on these cars is realllllly long, though. They're guaranteed 10 years, and some are lasting much longer — one example is my better half's Prius, now 14 years and still charging (pun intended).

Also, I do think there's realistic hope that battery prices will gradually come down. I have no proof, but given that the ES's gas powertrains are all identical to those of Camry/Avalon, I'd bet a nickel (pun intended again) that they share batteries too. If so, you'll have the advantage of a high-volume part on your side, maybe even an aftermarket one by then, and it's likely to cost less rather than more after adjusting for inflation. I think a lot of other hybrid and EV owners will be well and truly screwed when their batteries fail, but I don't think ES 300h owners will be among them.

Meanwhile, the car not only saves you thousands on gas, it also saves you money in other ways like vastly longer life for brake pads. V6 ownership isn't cost free, either — spark plug replacement every 60,000 miles is a really involved job on this car. If I were to avoid the hybrid (which I did), it'd be strictly for performance and pleasing engine sounds, not fear about costs or failures.
Wilson2000 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 01:59 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFinally
...the car not only saves you thousands on gas, it also saves you money in other ways like vastly longer life for brake pads. V6 ownership isn't cost free, either — spark plug replacement every 60,000 miles is a really involved job on this car.
I agree with most of what you said in your post. I question the interval on the V6 plug replacement, however, as my 2011 V6 has a 120K mile interval. And yes, the job is "involved," but not too much so. I know because I've done it myself (but I do have a lot of specialty tools most DIY mechanics don't have). I plan to do my own maintenance on the hybrid I buy, and it will be my first hybrid, so I won't truly know the difference in time/cost until I begin the journey! One thing I'm certain of is the plugs will be more accessible in the 4 cyl hybrid vs the rear bank of the V6, so I'm looking forward to that!
Old 01-09-24, 03:03 PM
Shaboom
Racer

I've read the debates, both on CL and elsewhere. My conclusion is the exhaust emission reductions are of upmost importance. The battery waste consideration is significant, but secondary. In reality, who knows, and as you say...a conundrum. BTW...I like your stance of raising the issue without attempting to sound like an authority who knows the real truth. So, thanks for that!
Haha…Thanks but I’m just an old man and like Diogenes, I’m still searching for the truth….
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaboom:
LexFinally (01-09-24), Wilson2000 (01-09-24)

Quick Reply: 2024 ES 300h vs the 2025?