ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

A couple of mod thoughts and would like your opinions Please.........................

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24 | 12:10 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Default A couple of mod thoughts and would like your opinions Please.........................

Hi Folks!

We have a 2022 ES350 UL and I am thinking about adding one of the Navik VIM modules to it.

Before anyone gets into the safety concerns of have Video in Motion, I understand both the safety and legal concerns but just think that it's a cool thing to have to keep the passenger entertained on a longer trip (sometimes, dazzling conversation isn't an option ;D).

Naviks module for VIM 2022 ES350...................

I've been thinking about this and possibly trying to add some soft close doors to her. We have those on our LS and I Really like them because they take the door slamming out of the picture. That and the fact that the doors on the ES feel cheap and thin compared to our LS460 and the sound of them being closed just bugs me. I've seen a four door setup on Ali Express and have been pondering it.Do you think that this is even possible or even worth it?

4 door Soft Close kit from AliExpress.................

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!
Old 01-10-24 | 12:16 PM
alextv
Instructor

Another option is to add a carlinkit Tbox plus that uses the carplay with usb and you have a full android tablet with any android app you want. A whole lot cheaper and works great.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (01-10-24)
Old 01-10-24 | 12:48 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
Another option is to add a carlinkit Tbox plus that uses the carplay with usb and you have a full android tablet with any android app you want. A whole lot cheaper and works great.
Thanks for the info! I Appreciate that and I'll look into that one too. It's always good to have options.
Old 01-10-24 | 01:32 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

I'm very interested in both of those mods. I agree with the ES doors feeling flimsy. The rear doors are ok. Front - not so much. They basically sound like a Camry.

I'm going to research that kit you posted. Thanks for the info.
FreddyG (01-10-24)
Old 01-10-24 | 01:47 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Ooof. I just noticed that those door close kits are $174 each. Or $497 for all four. Going to pass on that for now.....
Old 01-10-24 | 07:52 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by losiglow
Ooof. I just noticed that those door close kits are $174 each. Or $497 for all four. Going to pass on that for now.....
I agree that they're not cheap but I Really like the soft close doors and am just curious if I could get them to work. I like having things that are different and those would be different on an ES.

Old 01-10-24 | 08:34 PM
Shaboom
Racer

It’s just wife and me. I open and close door carefully for her when she gets in and out and open and close my own carefully, too. So I’ll stay $400 richer…
Old 01-11-24 | 10:33 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shaboom
It’s just wife and me. I open and close door carefully for her when she gets in and out and open and close my own carefully, too. So I’ll stay $400 richer…
I do the same when driving with my Wife but just thought that they're pretty cool and I like them on our LS460 and also thought that they're different and I like having mods that not everyone else has.

By the way, you should take your Wife out to a Nice dinner since you've actually saved almost $500 by not doing it!
Old 01-11-24 | 10:45 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by FreddyG
I do the same when driving with my Wife but just thought that they're pretty cool and I like them on our LS460 and also thought that they're different and I like having mods that not everyone else has.

By the way, you should take your Wife out to a Nice dinner since you've actually saved almost $500 by not doing it!
Hahaha! That’s about what we paid for our fine “Nice” (FR) dinner but it was well worth it!😜
Old 01-11-24 | 11:26 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Hahaha! That’s about what we paid for our fine “Nice” (FR) dinner but it was well worth it!😜
DANG! What did you have to eat?

It's your money but personally, I'd rather have the soft close doors (they'd last longer than a dinner that was going to eventually go down the drain anyway) but I understand that it's about the experience more than the food!

Anyway, I'm just messing with you but am curious what you had to eat for a $500 dinner!
Old 01-11-24 | 11:38 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Way off subject and an exaggeration. But that not withstanding, the prices there and in Cannes and the whole area in season are very high. French Riviera and Monaco and that whole region are magnificent but so expensive. Our dinner of Bouillabaisse, with lobster in it, steak, right wines, appetizers and desserts and mandatory tips can add up into low hundreds for two. Some of those places that had multiple Michelin star ratings in the South of France ran close to the $500 figure for two depending on cost of the wines and if you had drinks. Some of those restaurants have now imposed mandatory minimum total check amounts for a table reservation in season. You commit to spend maybe $500 for two, and whether or not you actually do that’s the check. They’re doing that now in St. Tropez. Out of my league but a nice Nice dinner is a lifetime memory.
Now, back to car stuff!
Old 01-11-24 | 03:27 PM
alextv
Instructor

Here is my take on the soft close. My 2001 LS430UL with soft close had 2 failed under warranty. My wife became dependent on the feature and the battery has died 3 times overnight with dome light on because door did not close. We don't use the soft close anymore because of reliability. To this date I think only 1 is bad and others intermittent.
FreddyG (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24 | 08:15 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Way off subject and an exaggeration. But that not withstanding, the prices there and in Cannes and the whole area in season are very high. French Riviera and Monaco and that whole region are magnificent but so expensive. Our dinner of Bouillabaisse, with lobster in it, steak, right wines, appetizers and desserts and mandatory tips can add up into low hundreds for two. Some of those places that had multiple Michelin star ratings in the South of France ran close to the $500 figure for two depending on cost of the wines and if you had drinks. Some of those restaurants have now imposed mandatory minimum total check amounts for a table reservation in season. You commit to spend maybe $500 for two, and whether or not you actually do that’s the check. They’re doing that now in St. Tropez. Out of my league but a nice Nice dinner is a lifetime memory.
Now, back to car stuff!
I agree that it's way off topic but since I created the thread, I figured why not ask? I've never paid $500 for a dinner and you piqued my curiosity and that's why I asked. I was being nosey and also trying to expand my little world and maybe even get cultured in the process. With you being in France, that helps me understand better now. Thank You for sharing your experience.

I do agree now back to the topic at hand.
Old 01-11-24 | 08:17 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alextv
Here is my take on the soft close. My 2001 LS430UL with soft close had 2 failed under warranty. My wife became dependent on the feature and the battery has died 3 times overnight with dome light on because door did not close. We don't use the soft close anymore because of reliability. To this date I think only 1 is bad and others intermittent.
Thank You! We've never had any problems with ours but your experience just proves that problems can be had with them.

Old 01-11-24 | 08:36 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by FreddyG
I agree that it's way off topic but since I created the thread, I figured why not ask? I've never paid $500 for a dinner and you piqued my curiosity and that's why I asked. I was being nosey and also trying to expand my little world and maybe even get cultured in the process. With you being in France, that helps me understand better now. Thank You for sharing your experience.

I do agree now back to the topic at hand.
Actually in Naples FL but visited wonderful Europe several times.
FreddyG (01-13-24)

Quick Reply: A couple of mod thoughts and would like your opinions Please.........................