ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Time to buy a new ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 11:29 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
If you're getting it as part of your new car, probably the kind in a pump spray bottle.

Serious story: When shopping a new (non-Lexus) car last week, my brother was waiting around through one of those interminable delays that dealers are so good at generating during the sames process. So he approached a low-paid service bay employee who was shining up one of the popular sporty models. He casually asked what product was used for the paint treatment of the $1,999 "Appearance Protection" package. The youngster said, "I don't know. They just pour some kind of yellow liquid in from a giant drum." That's not to say the anonymous yellow liquid in question is not a top-quality product; you be the judge.
Yellow or Brown mustard?
The following users liked this post:
YumpinYiminy (02-03-24)
Old 02-03-24, 08:28 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

If you're getting it as part of your new car, probably the kind in a pump spray bottle.

Serious story: When shopping a new (non-Lexus) car last week, my brother was waiting around through one of those interminable delays that dealers are so good at generating during the sames process. So he approached a low-paid service bay employee who was shining up one of the popular sporty models. He casually asked what product was used for the paint treatment of the $1,999 "Appearance Protection" package. The youngster said, "I don't know. They just pour some kind of yellow liquid in from a giant drum." That's not to say the anonymous yellow liquid in question is not a top-quality product; you be the judge.
When I was shopping for a new Lexus back in November 2023, I want to a dealer 60 miles away because they had the trims and sound system I wanted to test drive. Stock was limited back then as far as decent colors and luxury trims are concerned for ES350s. They were still asking sticker and added a $1600 dealer rust and paint protection as a mandatory package. The salesman made it sound like it was already applied to every car. I argued the point of why I would want it. Long story short. I wrote a colorful review of my opinion. In Jan 2024 they advertised between $1000 and $3000 of sticker but still had that $1600 package. Feb 2024, they still have the sticker discounts and no longer the $1600 rust and paint package. The stupid part is that $1600 package that was already added is no longer on the stickers of the same cars they had back in November.
Slime *****
Old 02-03-24, 09:59 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
When I was shopping for a new Lexus back in November 2023, I want to a dealer 60 miles away because they had the trims and sound system I wanted to test drive. Stock was limited back then as far as decent colors and luxury trims are concerned for ES350s. They were still asking sticker and added a $1600 dealer rust and paint protection as a mandatory package. The salesman made it sound like it was already applied to every car. I argued the point of why I would want it. Long story short. I wrote a colorful review of my opinion. In Jan 2024 they advertised between $1000 and $3000 of sticker but still had that $1600 package. Feb 2024, they still have the sticker discounts and no longer the $1600 rust and paint package. The stupid part is that $1600 package that was already added is no longer on the stickers of the same cars they had back in November.
Slime *****
Infuriating, and I totally get it. They made lots of money then, and lots of bitter feelings toward them from lots of consumers that will last a long time.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexFinally:
ATL350 (02-07-24), Jack1986 (02-03-24), YumpinYiminy (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 03:54 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Unhappy

Infuriating, and I totally get it. They made lots of money then, and lots of bitter feelings toward them from lots of consumers that will last a long time.
The worst part is that the day after I bought the car. The trim and color was available 60 miles away in the other direction. The only issue was that it was the ES300. The car is still for sale and they have another hybrid in stock as well. My local and the other slimey dealer can't keep the hybrids in stock? You would think they would check and make some kind of deal for you. I actually asked when I was about to buy. Isn't funny that the computers search option wasn't working then. NOT!
LexFinally (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 04:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

The worst part is that the day after I bought the car. The trim and color was available 60 miles away in the other direction. The only issue was that it was the ES300. The car is still for sale and they have another hybrid in stock as well. My local and the other slimey dealer can't keep the hybrids in stock? You would think they would check and make some kind of deal for you. I actually asked when I was about to buy. Isn't funny that the computers search option wasn't working then. NOT!
The dealer by me has several ES hybrids in stock and discounting them heavily. Not so much on the RX hybrids.
YumpinYiminy (02-08-24)
Old 02-07-24, 05:44 AM
LexFinally
Racer

What can one say? Lazy, greedy, unprofessional, wanted to clear out their own dealer stock at your expense. You ended up with a fine car, certainly through no fault of theirs.

Also, about that $1,500 wax job: On the non-Lexus we bought that had a $1,999 "Appearance Protection" package, the $1,999 was pre-applied but the protection wasn't. When my brother successfully negotiated that off the sticker, we closed the deal and brought home the car. I ran a hand over the paint—it sure as hell hadn't been waxed. In conjunction with the young employee's story about the mysterious yellow drum of goo, it's apparent that your $1,999 didn't even buy the normal elbow grease of a home wax job, let alone the extensive prep required for the proper ceramic coating you ought to be getting at that price. It's just another markup with a rationalizing name on it, period.
Old 02-08-24, 01:47 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Talking

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The dealer by me has several ES hybrids in stock and discounting them heavily. Not so much on the RX hybrids.
I also looked at local Toyota dealers. They didn't have any advertised discounts. Doesn't mean you can't negotiate the cost down.
I got a good deal when I bought the car. It was a high optioned base trim that was advertised (only at the dealership) with the mark down. About 5.5%. I got it down to 9% and an extra $1800 on my trade. If I waited till now. I might have gotten a better discount on the new car but my trade-in has dropped $2500 since then. The upside is that now you have a better chance of finding or ordering the exact car you want. The difference is my ordered 2013 Avalon Limited came exactly like I wanted it and it was one of my cars that I never got tired everytime I drove it. This Black on Black ES just doesn't make me go "woohoooo baby" when I get in.
Old 02-08-24, 01:58 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Wink

What can one say? Lazy, greedy, unprofessional, wanted to clear out their own dealer stock at your expense. You ended up with a fine car, certainly through no fault of theirs.

Also, about that $1,500 wax job: On the non-Lexus we bought that had a $1,999 "Appearance Protection" package, the $1,999 was pre-applied but the protection wasn't. When my brother successfully negotiated that off the sticker, we closed the deal and brought home the car. I ran a hand over the paint—it sure as hell hadn't been waxed. In conjunction with the young employee's story about the mysterious yellow drum of goo, it's apparent that your $1,999 didn't even buy the normal elbow grease of a home wax job, let alone the extensive prep required for the proper ceramic coating you ought to be getting at that price. It's just another markup with a rationalizing name on it, period.
Yup. I read your story. You should have seen the face of the salesman when I kept asking him why I would want these extras. Not counting the paint/rust package, I don't need the door guards, the USB cable set, etc... extras that added up to around $1000. I do live in the rust belt. I have my car detail every other year. There is a local touchless car wash with a strong underbody spray and heated water. I'm handicapped so I can park where I don't dig or get digged by others. I just don't need these extras.
Thanks for your story!
LexFinally (02-08-24)
Old 02-10-24, 08:18 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

In market for new car so was testing waters today at Toyota.
Here is a build for the car 2024 Camry XSE V6
https://www.toyota.com/configurator/...0-4f1214b09383
MSRP of 41000
Their initial OTD was 47,767 that included fees, tax, gap and their BS net selling price mark up of MSRP to 43000+ lol. Their reasoning was that its last Camry of its kind (Aka having v6).
All in all I was able to get OTD to 41000 they didn't budge for less, so I walked.
Old 02-10-24, 08:54 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
In market for new car so was testing waters today at Toyota.
Here is a build for the car 2024 Camry XSE V6
https://www.toyota.com/configurator/...0-4f1214b09383
MSRP of 41000
Their initial OTD was 47,767 that included fees, tax, gap and their BS net selling price mark up of MSRP to 43000+ lol. Their reasoning was that its last Camry of its kind (Aka having v6).
All in all I was able to get OTD to 41000 they didn't budge for less, so I walked.
Their "reasoning." I love it. Here's my reasoning: The ES with that V6 starts for that price. What they're offering isn't exclusive, even for Toyota Motor.
FastDawg (02-11-24)
Old 02-10-24, 09:14 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Their "reasoning." I love it. Here's my reasoning: The ES with that V6 starts for that price. What they're offering isn't exclusive, even for Toyota Motor.
Thats what i told them lol. I actually found 22 Lexus ES350 F sport with 38k Miles for 33k OTD. Miles a little higher than I would like, but thinking about it.
Old 02-11-24, 01:44 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
Thats what i told them lol. I actually found 22 Lexus ES350 F sport with 38k Miles for 33k OTD. Miles a little higher than I would like, but thinking about it.
That's a lot of miles for a 22. It's not for a Lexus but I'm guessing it was a former lease and you can't tell how it was driven.
Old 02-11-24, 08:24 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

That's a lot of miles for a 22. It's not for a Lexus but I'm guessing it was a former lease and you can't tell how it was driven.
Normally if a lease has been maintained properly they are sold as CPOs. I had a 2014 MB E350 AMG that was a CPO and it was flawless in the three years that I owned it.

I’ve also bought two different vehicles from Hertz and Enterprise. Both former rentals and the one I drove for two years never gave me a problem. My mother-in-law is now driving the other one - a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport that I bought from Hertz - and loves it.

A dealer’s service department can run a VIN and give you a service report.
Old 02-11-24, 10:28 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by FastDawg
A dealer’s service department can run a VIN and give you a service report.
For a moment, I misread your post as "A dealer's service department can ruin a VIN..." Yes, and many do.
Old 02-11-24, 01:10 PM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Talking

For a moment, I misread your post as "A dealer's service department can ruin a VIN..." Yes, and many do.
I read it that way at first as well. Had to do a double take.

Quick Reply: Time to buy a new ES350?