ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Crashed my ES. Totalled?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 02:58 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by losiglow
I came across this gem. It checked all the boxes. I'm not a huge fan of the F-Sport but it has the ML system, HUD and Triple Beam Headlights. Very rare to find all three of those on an F-Sport. And with only 4k miles @ $39K? I figured there must be something wrong with it. According to Cars.com it's also been on the dealer lot since October. They priced it at $46k to being with and have dropped it $7k over three months. Then I got to the interior...... Take a look. Perfect if you really like zebras.
​​​​​​​Any idea what the original MSRP was? I'm guessing around $54k plus any other options not mentioned. So $39k with only 4k mileage sounds good for a '23. Maybe that zebra skin is working in your favor.
Old 01-23-24, 04:13 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Myshkyn
Any idea what the original MSRP was? I'm guessing around $54k plus any other options not mentioned. So $39k with only 4k mileage sounds good for a '23. Maybe that zebra skin is working in your favor.
A 2024 ES 300h F Sport Handling with UltraSonic Blue Mica, white NuLux interior, Mark Levinson system, Triple Beam headlights, and HUD has a (US) Lexus web site build price of $55,305 (includes a $1,150 DELIVERY PROCESSING AND HANDLING (DPH) FEE).

The base price difference between a 2023 and 2024 ES 300h F Sport Handling is just $100 and there's no price difference with the Mark Levinson system, Triple Beam headlights, and HUD options. (There's an extra cost add-on for the UltraSonic Blue Mica exterior but I don't know if there was a any change in the 2024 $595 pricing for that between 2023 and 2024.)
Old 01-24-24, 06:44 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 347 Likes on 212 Posts

We live in a throw away world, from small electronics to large, expensive items like cars. In many cases things are not meant (ie., not designed) to be repaired past a certain point because there’s more money to be made by selling a new replacement. Is there really any justification for an airbag being $1800, for instance, an item mass produced and used by Toyota in multiple models, probably over a number of years? No, of course not. But that’s the mentality today and it’s not going to change. Unfortunately the consumer is the one who is hurt by it and so you’re often faced with replacing, not repairing, your refrigerator, the dishwasher, the TV, or, like in this case, your car. Most of us are use to it and have little choice but to accept it, but it does really hit home when you deal with such a high ticket item. It is often such a waste.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATL350:
LexTess (01-24-24), losiglow (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 07:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
That's a factory option?? I thought someone reupholstered.
Factory for sure. Am I nuts? I like it but I have the black interior on mine.
Old 01-24-24, 07:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
We live in a throw away world, from small electronics to large, expensive items like cars. In many cases things are not meant (ie., not designed) to be repaired past a certain point because there’s more money to be made by selling a new replacement. Is there really any justification for an airbag being $1800, for instance, an item mass produced and used by Toyota in multiple models, probably over a number of years? No, of course not. But that’s the mentality today and it’s not going to change. Unfortunately the consumer is the one who is hurt by it and so you’re often faced with replacing, not repairing, your refrigerator, the dishwasher, the TV, or, like in this case, your car. Most of us are use to it and have little choice but to accept it, but it does really hit home when you deal with such a high ticket item. It is often such a waste.
Seems crazy I agree - we had a seven year old refrig go bad a few years back. Then the replacement needed a new compressor at two years old. What happened to appliances that used to last up to 20 years or more.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (01-25-24)
Old 01-24-24, 07:37 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

The insurance got back to me yesterday and it appears they weren't happy with the initial quote. They requested that I bring the car back to the body shop to have them do a full teardown to provide a more accurate quote. I dropped it off this morning. They say it will take a couple days. Between that and the insurance taking their time, I'm guessing I won't have an answer until next week.
Old 01-24-24, 07:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Is there really any justification for an airbag being $1800, for instance, an item mass produced and used by Toyota in multiple models, probably over a number of years?
I'm pretty sure Toyota does not own Takata. One of the reasons they're so expensive, is due to litigation. Probably the majority of the price is due to that.
TechNut (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 10:24 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Is there really any justification for an airbag being $1800, for instance, an item mass produced and used by Toyota in multiple models, probably over a number of years? No, of course not.
Toyota makes huge profits selling parts, as do dealers. That's the "justification".
Old 01-24-24, 11:00 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Seems crazy I agree - we had a seven year old refrig go bad a few years back. Then the replacement needed a new compressor at two years old. What happened to appliances that used to last up to 20 years or more.
In a word......China. I have a friend who owned an appliance store in SC and sold out several years ago because someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse. My wife was looking at washer/dryer sets and he told us to go with Speed Queen. A bit more expensive but made in Wisconsin and they are primarily in the commercial market. All of the other brands are essentially the same with different brand badges slapped on them.
dklanecky1 (01-24-24)
Old 02-08-24, 06:04 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Well, after requiring me to take it back to the shop to have a full teardown (which took yet another week...) they finally declared it a total loss. After some back and forth, I received a very fair settlement so now I'm back in the market.

I've thought about going a different direction after 280k miles on my 2017 and 68k on this 2022. But I keep coming back to the 300h, despite how vanilla it is. I thought about getting something with more utility, like an RX or jumping back to Acura and picking up a TLX Type S with the turbo-6. The problem is the 300h is so darn practical, trouble-free and comfy. I must be betting old because even 10 years ago, those weren't top priorities.

I'm going to shop around and see what's out there. Already I can see there's a lot more inventory and discounts than late 2022 when I last shopped for cars.
Cmiller1111 (02-18-24)
Old 02-08-24, 06:35 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by losiglow
Well, after requiring me to take it back to the shop to have a full teardown (which took yet another week...) they finally declared it a total loss. After some back and forth, I received a very fair settlement so now I'm back in the market.

I've thought about going a different direction after 280k miles on my 2017 and 68k on this 2022. But I keep coming back to the 300h, despite how vanilla it is. I thought about getting something with more utility, like an RX or jumping back to Acura and picking up a TLX Type S with the turbo-6. The problem is the 300h is so darn practical, trouble-free and comfy. I must be betting old because even 10 years ago, those weren't top priorities.

I'm going to shop around and see what's out there. Already I can see there's a lot more inventory and discounts than late 2022 when I last shopped for cars.
If you're tempted by the TLX, that means you don't need any rear seat room. If that's the case but you still want that good ol' Lexus reliability, might as well cast a covetous eye at a V8 IS. :.)
Old 02-09-24, 04:55 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
If you're tempted by the TLX, that means you don't need any rear seat room.
This ^^^^^^. If you are tall or usually move the driver seat all the way back. The TLX rear seat is basically unusable (unless an infant in car seat). That was one of the biggest negatives when I was shopping around and test driving. But the car looks and drives are excellent IMHO. If test driving make sure to take a big curve and push the accelerator instead of reducing the speed. This is where the SH-AWD really shines. Finally make sure to test/compare against a 24' model as they added "Acoustic Glass" to improve noise reduction in the cabin.
Old 02-09-24, 07:52 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Agree now that I have it, "Acoustic Glass" or laminated glass (dual pane glass, etc) whatever you want to call it -- is nice if you have the option. i think it plays a bigger difference in ambient noise vs. wind/road roar.

As far as B pillars, most mfrs specify proper fixes. it's as good as new as long as done by mfr sectioning procedures. in fact, some would argue stronger than new as often the mfr calls for backing plates usually. in this case it doesn't even appear affected, from these pics. i dont see how it's "compromised"

source 25+ year estimating
Old 02-09-24, 10:07 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexFinally
If you're tempted by the TLX, that means you don't need any rear seat room. If that's the case but you still want that good ol' Lexus reliability, might as well cast a covetous eye at a V8 IS. :.)
That's kind of the problem. I do need the rear seat room. The real estate is more important than performance. Though if I had the money, maybe I'd just get both

Originally Posted by scubapr
This ^^^^^^. If you are tall or usually move the driver seat all the way back. The TLX rear seat is basically unusable (unless an infant in car seat). That was one of the biggest negatives when I was shopping around and test driving. But the car looks and drives are excellent IMHO. If test driving make sure to take a big curve and push the accelerator instead of reducing the speed. This is where the SH-AWD really shines. Finally make sure to test/compare against a 24' model as they added "Acoustic Glass" to improve noise reduction in the cabin.
For sure on the SH-AWD. I think Acura has one of the best AWD systems. I had it on my 2012 TL and it was like magic around corners. Granted, I've only driven Audi's Quattro on an A6 and and Acura's SH-AWD. I haven't experienced X-Drive or 4Matic but I don't see myself ever owing a BMW or Merc in the future.

Originally Posted by E46CT
Agree now that I have it, "Acoustic Glass" or laminated glass (dual pane glass, etc) whatever you want to call it -- is nice if you have the option. i think it plays a bigger difference in ambient noise vs. wind/road roar.

As far as B pillars, most mfrs specify proper fixes. it's as good as new as long as done by mfr sectioning procedures. in fact, some would argue stronger than new as often the mfr calls for backing plates usually. in this case it doesn't even appear affected, from these pics. i dont see how it's "compromised"

source 25+ year estimating
I spoke with the auto body shop again when I went in to get my personal items from the car today and drop off the title at FedEx to have it shipped to insurance. They informed me that they found additional damage under the car which brought the total repair cost to $29k It made sense that they totaled it at that point. Their initial offer (and probably what they used in their calculations was $31k for the car value. I was not onboard with that. After sending several comps and having some frank, but civil, discussions with the adjuster, they increased that significantly more than I thought they would. But even at the higher settlement value, it would still be about a 75% repair-to-vehicle cost ratio.
Old 02-09-24, 10:42 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry about your car.

I absolutely loved my 2006 Audi A6. It was the last year with the V8 and I couldn’t find a curve that AWD system couldn’t take. It stayed in the shop too much. My Service Advisor and I were on a first name basis. He sometimes had the same loaner for me when I took it in for a warranty repair it was in the shop so much.

Quick Reply: Crashed my ES. Totalled?