ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

What is the condition of your shift knob?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 11:38 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts
Default What is the condition of your shift ****?

Since I got the car two years ago, I wasn’t happy with the quality of the shift **** leather. Last year I painted it with leather paint but I’m not too happy with the quality of it nor looks. What is the condition of your shift ****? Anybody replaced the original one?

A close up picture would be nice…
Old 01-23-24, 12:00 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Mine’s three years old. Looks like new. I’m please with the interior as it is and wouldn’t consider painting anything there. Car’s perfect and rich looking the way it is.
Old 01-23-24, 12:56 PM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Same as Shaboom. The shifter is a high point for me. Looks great, feels great as a hand rest.

By contrast, I loathe the temperature controls. Such an unpleasant feel, edgy and harsh to the touch. Two thumbs down for that.
Old 01-23-24, 01:35 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
Same as Shaboom. The shifter is a high point for me. Looks great, feels great as a hand rest.

By contrast, I loathe the temperature controls. Such an unpleasant feel, edgy and harsh to the touch. Two thumbs down for that.
Speaking of temperature, must I go into the climate setting section every time I want to turn the AC off (and have outside air only) and later turn AC back on (without using Auto)? I have the touch pad and it’s a bit of a trip.
Temperature number can be adjusted by voice control if you don’t like the manual edgy lever.
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (01-24-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:24 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think the leather on the shift looks particularly pleasing. I have wondered if it could be removed. Does it serve some purpose?
Old 01-23-24, 02:45 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

It hides the plastic. Don’t remove it. I am afraid mine was cleaned with some hard core detergents (degreaser or something like that). I am searching for a new one but they are expensive.
Old 01-23-24, 03:01 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

My shifter is fine also. I think I remember years ago posts from you that the car was shipped overseas to you new. Did it arrive in that condition?
Old 01-23-24, 11:57 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

It wasn’t new. It had 10000 miles, CPO. I bought it in MI and shipped it overseas.

Yes, the shifter was worn.
Old 01-24-24, 06:40 AM
Danno1958
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

You might consider an aftermarket ****. I installed this lighted crystal **** and in my opinion it looks pretty classy in my '19 Luxury ES. I have had many compliments on it. Wiring harness provided tied directly into existing wiring with click connectors. I of course kept the original in case future buyers may want it. Just an idea. Here is the link. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNAwWhI

Myshkyn (01-25-24)
Old 01-24-24, 07:53 AM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

Just wondering if all the hand sanitizer during Covid did anything.

The loaners I would get during that time would be wiped down, steering wheel, shifter and window controls. Those surfaces looked dried out and weird.

My 2022 look new.
Old 01-24-24, 10:04 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Danno1958
You might consider an aftermarket ****. I installed this lighted crystal **** and in my opinion it looks pretty classy in my '19 Luxury ES. I have had many compliments on it. Wiring harness provided tied directly into existing wiring with click connectors. I of course kept the original in case future buyers may want it. Just an idea. Here is the link. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNAwWhI

I saw this on Ali. The only thing that I don’t like is the fake carbon fiber.
FastDawg (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 01:06 PM
S0NY
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno1958

Love it. Mind sharing a few more pics?
Old 01-25-24, 03:46 PM
MasterUMC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm at 28k miles, shift **** looks and feels like new.
GS350Miami (01-26-24)
Old 01-26-24, 02:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,633 Posts

A lot of people are claiming their shift ***** look new after years/20k miles + but do not post close up photos. Leather is leather and leather wears, especially for a high-traffic part. So post up photos. Close-up. Not saying they still don't look acceptable, but your definition of "good" might be different than another.

OP sounds like you already painted your **** but if your leather is just shiny and oily, you can try using a detailer's APC and finish it off with a dedicated interior cleaner which is good at stripping oils. Last resort, you could give it a soft delicate "buff" with a magic eraser (again as a last resort, something you'd otherwise throw away) a ME could breathe some new life into worn oily greasy leather. used to do it on old cars before and it would make old greasy worn out leather look new again. Of course you'd be stripping some of the clear coat off (if any remains) but better than discarding a part.

of course the best shift **** is to have no shift **** opens up so much space. hopefully future cars delete it!!
Old 01-26-24, 06:01 PM
MasterUMC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

28k miles, there is a little wear on the right edge now that I'm really looking at it..

Quick Reply: What is the condition of your shift knob?