ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Help with purchase decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 07:11 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
The navigation equipped 2022 ESs (equipped with 12.3 inch touchscreen) were/are still using the "old" Dynamic Navigation system which uses an installed firmware navigation database supplemented with dynamic updates necessary for route guidance and current local vicinity map displaying. Once the trial or paid subscription expires, any and all of the dynamic updates are purged from the vehicle's system; however, the on-board Navigation system will continue to function albeit using just the data that was last installed in the navigation firmware database.
Thank you for the comprehensive answer. This is super helpful.

To pab12's question, will a '24 navigation system quit entirely?
Old 02-04-24, 10:57 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
To pab12's question, will a '24 navigation system quit entirely?
Several things in the 2023 and later XXXX MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUALs and Lexus support articles indicate - no active subscription; no navigation function.

In addition to what I've previously quoted from the 2024 MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL (the 2024 version is pretty much a duplicate of the 2023 version so manual quotes are applicable to both 2023 and 2024 ESs), in the "Registering a driver for the first time" on page 39 there's this regarding subscriptions and the navigation function:

5 On the Lexus app, complete the setup to activate your subscription or trial and touch [I’ve completed app setup].
● If you do not complete the setup for the subscription or trial in the Lexus app, the subscription screen will be displayed and you cannot use the navigation system.
and on page 108, without a subscription it looks like you'll continually get a subscription nag screen every time you turn a 2023 or later ES on:
If a subscription service contract has not been entered, the subscription service contract screen will be displayed when the engine switch <power switch> is turned to ON.
The Lexus support DRIVE CONNECT TRIAL OFFERING (PPO) FAQs article sheds some additional light on Drive Connect's trial subscription operation. From question 8:
To continue utilizing your Connected Services, including Drive Connect, after the expiration of your trials, you will need to purchase a subscription plan, which is available for purchase within your Lexus app.
and from question 10:
Drive Connect: At any time in the Lexus app, you can select the Go Anywhere or Premium subscription plan to renew your Drive Connect services. If still in a Drive Connect trial, your subscription plan will be marked for “future-pay” (to go in effect when the Drive Connect trial ends).
and from the Lexus support article LEXUS INTERFACE DRIVE CONNECT CLOUD NAVIGATION (scroll down toward the bottom of the web page):
​​​​...
​​​Subscription

Is a Drive Connect subscription required to use the Cloud Navigation, Intelligent Assistant, Destination Assist features?

Yes. An active Drive Connect subscription is needed to utilize the Cloud Navigation, Intelligent Assistant, Destination Assist features with your vehicle.
Lastly, I don't know the mechanics of setting up the (paid or trial) Lexus Connect related services in the Lexus app. If there's any questions about that hopefully someone with a 2023 or 2024 ES who has gone through that process will provide answers to any questions in that area.
Old 02-05-24, 10:10 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

>no active subscription; no navigation function.

Somehow, I'm not surprised
Everything requires a subscription now ... :-(

=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Old 02-05-24, 10:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
>no active subscription; no navigation function.

Somehow, I'm not surprised
Everything requires a subscription now ... :-(

=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF

ive got to imagine navigation still works without subscription, just not the ‘cloud navigation’ features which I imagine are things like real time traffic and rerouting
Old 02-05-24, 10:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
ive got to imagine navigation still works without subscription, just not the ‘cloud navigation’ features which I imagine are things like real time traffic and rerouting
Does it even matter with Carplay or Android Auto?
Old 02-05-24, 10:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Does it even matter with Carplay or Android Auto?
not for me, but maybe for someone else. Do you know the answer?
Old 02-05-24, 10:39 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Sounds like you are on a budget that doesn’t stretch to 7th gen. Not point of getting a car with such high mileage and wear. Plus it will be hard to sell, no one really wants a luxury car with high miles unusual for its age.
Old 02-05-24, 10:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

not for me, but maybe for someone else. Do you know the answer?
I don't but I guess I will find out. We just placed a deposit on a 24 RX350H Take delivery in a month or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
DaveGS4 (02-05-24), TechNut (02-05-24)
Old 02-05-24, 11:07 AM
grp52
Instructor

According to the 2023 and 2024 XXXX Multimedia Owner's Manuals and Lexus support articles you need a subscription service contract to use the navigation function - no contract (paid or trial); no navigation function. See my posts #13 and #17 above for cites and quotes of official Lexus documentation on this.

Also with the "new" Drive Connect navigation system there is no longer an on-board permanently stored map database like there is/was with the previous navigation systems. All the map data is now just a temporary copy of just the data necessary for displaying local vicinity moving maps and route routing guidance. The temporary mapping data is downloaded from the cloud and continually updated from the cloud, so no cloud; no mapping data for navigation services functioning.
Old 02-05-24, 12:49 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

If there is no stored map data and if you don't have a cellular signal then there would be no navigation and you would have a big blank screen is that correct? The temporary map data may not cover what you want unless it puts a large area in the data. It's all about money. At least google will let you download offline maps for use with no signal. It makes sense now that when you get into a new car that the nav has to be activated so the subscription starts. Thanks for opening our eyes to this.
Old 02-05-24, 02:12 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by alextv
If there is no stored map data and if you don't have a cellular signal then there would be no navigation and you would have a big blank screen is that correct? ...
Once the navigation function is started with an active Drive Connect subscription, I don't know if you can get to a no stored map data condition. That would depend upon how persistent the temporary map datastore is across events like power cycles. I would assume (but don't really know) the temporary map datastore would be persistent as long as there's an active subscription for reasons such as minimizing navigation function startup time and minimizing cellular network data traffic.

That said, I don't think you'd get a blank screen in any case. If the case may be that the Drive Connect subscription status isn't persistently stored in the vehicle's system, you'd get a Drive Connect subscription sign up nag screen. Also, the Lexus Connected Technology Support article CLOUD NAVIGATION - OFFLINE NETWORK CONNECTION states:
​​​​​​​"No Network Connection" is shown when you try to use an online service feature while in offline mode
... The temporary map data may not cover what you want unless it puts a large area in the data....
According to the above support article, if the system knows an area of limited connectivity is coming up "an expanded download of map & POI detail" will be accomplished and route navigation will still be available. Your guess is as good as mine as to how expansive of an area the expanded download will be.

... At least google will let you download offline maps for use with no signal....
Starting with IOS 17, Apple Maps also allows you to download maps for using them offline.
Old 02-05-24, 03:41 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

Bad thing is that the subscription price will change with time and with a 12.3 inch screen on ES and 14 on RX without split screen for that screen to look good without adding or connecting to additional hardware you are almost forced to subscribe to make the car look good. My wife will never use android auto. I actually use the carlinkit TBox Plus on my ES for me with split screen and when I test drove the RX I hooked it up to make sure it would work and 1 to 3 screens were available.
Old 02-07-24, 10:16 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Is there anyway to connect an iPhone such that the phone's Waze can be displayed on the car's dash screen?
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe

Old 02-07-24, 12:29 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Is there anyway to connect an iPhone such that the phone's Waze can be displayed on the car's dash screen?
Yes, it has CarPlay built in.
Old 02-08-24, 07:10 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
I do it daily. Works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Help with purchase decision