New OTA update?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 11:33 AM
Snaus
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OTA update?

Hello, I'm new here.

I have a 2023 ES 300h and yesterday my car just all of a sudden said there was an over-the-air update and asked me to download it and I did it and it completed successfully.

I was hoping somebody here could tell me what it included and what to look for as a new feature? Is there a posting somewhere from Lexus that details what these updates include?

I read a few posts talking about how the OTA updates fail and don't include traffic camera information and you have to use USB sticks to do that correctly. Is this true? The car said that everything downloaded and installed correctly and would be available when I restarted the car but I have not been able to find anything different and I'm just looking for information.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-24, 12:56 PM
landonm86
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 2021 ES that has the older infotainment system, but my car was at the dealer last week while I drove a 2024 loaner ES. It prompted me to update the software, which I did, mainly out of curiosity to see what was changing. I didn’t notice any changes afterward before taking it back to the dealer. I think I had it for another day or two after the update. Honestly I forgot about it until I saw this post.
Old 02-04-24, 02:21 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I just did the OTA update on a 2023 ES 300h Luxury. Haven't used it yet after updating, but on install it said it was updating the navigation system and the voice system.
Old 02-04-24, 02:39 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Can someone please expain to me how the car gets an OTA update? Is it using cell data like a cell phone? I dont have any kind of data plan specific to the Lexus so I dont understand how it communicates.
Old 02-04-24, 04:58 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings
Can someone please expain to me how the car gets an OTA update? Is it using cell data like a cell phone? I dont have any kind of data plan specific to the Lexus so I dont understand how it communicates.
With 2023 and later model year ESs there are two means of receiving OTA updates: the Data Communication Module's (DCM) cellular network connection (a Lexus corporate supplied AT&T cellular network connection) or a secure Wi-Fi access point internet connection. (There's a USB flash drive software update option but it uses one of those communication means to download the software update.) See the "Updating the software" section starting on page 57 of the 2024 LEXUS ES250, ES350, ES300H MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL USA AND CANADA ONLY for details. In particular, note the conditions for using a Wi-Fi network for a software update which will most likely result in the DCM cellular network connection being used for automatic OTA software updates.
The following 2 users liked this post by grp52:
FastDawg (02-05-24), hotwings (02-04-24)
Old 02-04-24, 05:43 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Thank you for that helpful reference.

1. On Page 57 it says "You may be charged for communications fees depending on your subscription"
Do I need a subscription to get the DCM updates?

2. Do you normally make this update while the engine is running?

3. I also noticed the disclaimer "Update the software at your own risk

Old 02-04-24, 08:01 PM
grp52
Instructor

1. On Page 57 it says "You may be charged for communications fees depending on your subscription"
First of all, I didn't get USB flash drive firmware downloading methods exactly correct. On page 59 in the "Updates using a USB flash drive" section, there's this:
7 On the computer, go to the user portal site (https://www.lexus.com/firmwareupdates) and download the update data onto the computer.

● The update data will be downloaded based on the vehicle information written on the USB flash drive.

● If you cannot find any update data, this means that there is currently no update data available for the applicable system. Update data is released as necessary.

8 Copy the update data that was downloaded to the computer onto the USB flash drive.
It is the downloading to the computer which the "...charged for communications fees depending on your subscription" applies. While quite a few Internet Service Providers (ISP) have as default unlimited data plans some ISPs still have data caps which if exceeded will result in extra costs. Probably the most common instance of incurring extra costs now-a-days is in an Internet connection through a Wi-Fi hotspot connection utilizing a cellular phone's data plan. (That would also apply to using a Wi-Fi hotspot connection to doing an OTA Wi-Fi software update.)

Do I need a subscription to get the DCM updates?
As long as you have an active (trial or paid) Connected Services subscription, your ES's DCM will have a working cellular network connection available for OTA software updating.

For a 2024 ES, both Service Connect and Safety Connect have 10 year trial periods. So, even if you don't enroll in paid subscriptions for the shorter term trial subscriptions, your ES's DCM will have a cellular network connection on Lexus's dime for 10 years from your date of purchase of your ES.

2. Do you normally make this update while the engine is running?
The engine switch either needs to be ON or ACC so technically the engine doesn't need to be running; however, be aware there are power off timers to contend with if the update process takes some time to complete. From page 145 of the 2024 LEXUS ES250, ES350 OWNER'S MANUAL USA AND CANADA ONLY:
Auto power off function

If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode for more than 20 minutes or IGNITION ON mode (the engine is not running) for more than an hour with the shift lever in P, the engine switch will automatically turn off. However, this function cannot entirely prevent the battery discharge. Do not leave the vehicle with the engine switch in ACCESSORY or IGNITION ON mode for long periods of time when the engine is not running.
With that said, it depends upon the method used for accomplishing the software update. One method is interruptible according to the manual and the other isn't.

1. "Updating the software using DCM* or Wi-Fi®" on pages 57 and 58 has this:
● The time required for download and installation may increase depending on the communications environment. If the engine switch <power switch> is turned off during installation, the installation will resume the next time the engine switch <power switch> is turned to ACC or ON.
2. "Updates using a USB flash drive" on pages 58 through 60 there's this NOTICE:
⚠︎ NOTICE

● Do not remove the USB flash drive or turn the engine switch <power switch> off while the software is updating.
Personally I would leave the engine on while installing a firmware/software update. That way you don't have to worry about glitches arising from any interruption of the firmware installation process.
3. I also noticed the disclaimer "Update the software at your own risk
That's why it is best to following the general precautionary rule of software updates - Let the thrill seeking early adopters try out software updates first to see if there's any problems before dipping your toes into the software update pond.

Old 02-04-24, 09:01 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Very helpful info above

I was confused when you mentioned the USB Flash Drive required DCM or WIFI communicaton but you clarified its using a computer.

I agree, its best to wait a couple weeks or so after getting an update notice, google the update to make sure there are no complaints, then let the car download via DCM probably just while driving normally (engine running).

Old 02-04-24, 09:24 PM
grp52
Instructor

For future reference, the manual's URL ("https://www.lexus.com/firmwareupdates") for the user portal site for downloading an update to a USB flash drive isn't correct - results in a "YOU'VE FOUND OUR LIMITED-EDITION MISSING PAGE". The correct URL is https://www.lexus.com/firmware-updates (you need the "-" between firmware and updates for a correct URL that works).
Old 02-04-24, 10:26 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grp52
For future reference, the manual's URL ("https://www.lexus.com/firmwareupdates") for the user portal site for downloading an update to a USB flash drive isn't correct - results in a "YOU'VE FOUND OUR LIMITED-EDITION MISSING PAGE". The correct URL is https://www.lexus.com/firmware-updates (you need the "-" between firmware and updates for a correct URL that works).
I confirmed your URL correction (my manual had the error)!

Any idea how common (time wise) are these updates? My understanding is they are especially required when there is are certain iphone updates for continued apple car play operation.

Last edited by hotwings; 02-04-24 at 10:38 PM. Reason: clerical
Old 02-05-24, 06:52 AM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree, its best to wait a couple weeks or so after getting an update notice, google the update to make sure there are no complaints, then let the car download via DCM probably just while driving normally (engine running).
It won't allow updating while driving. That is what I originally tried to do.
Old 02-05-24, 07:21 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Myshkyn
It won't allow updating while driving. That is what I originally tried to do.
Interesting, it would be nice it fhe manual gave better step by step instructions for updating.
Not only are there errors in the manual as @grp52 pointed out, but it could be better written.
Old 02-05-24, 07:58 AM
Snaus
3rd Gear

There's so much good useful information in this thread, but still hasn't really touched on why I made the post in the first place. What exactly is in the update. What software/firmware changes are included? Usually with updates you can get a list of what's included.

I understand it updated the maps but did it change the view of the map or any of the functionality?

One thing I think I've noticed is before the update if I didn't click my seat belt before driving away there would be a single ding and then almost immediately it would ding incessantly at me until I clicked in. Now, it dings once and then there is a nice pause to give you time to get it clicked in before it just goes nuts on you like it did before. I could be wrong but I think I noticed that. I will go confirm later on I'm driving a different car this morning.

I also think that it will indeed do the software update while you are driving because that's what I was doing when I was doing the update. Maybe it paused but all the update installations were on the screen while I was driving. It didn't complete until I got home though so maybe it did pause when I put it in gear and got going.

I really just wanted a list of what it installed and fixed or changed. I find it interesting although I'm not complaining as long as it's fixing and changing things for the better. I know that having your seat belt on is important but giving me one second after the initial ding to click in my seatbelt before it just started going nuts at me was kind of annoying. I would be glad if that was one of the fixes... Give me three or five seconds to get that done after the initial alert before you start yelling at me. 😆

Last edited by Snaus; 02-05-24 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-05-24, 08:05 AM
Snaus
3rd Gear

One other thing I wonder if they fixed a little bit is the lane tracking. When I first got the car it would wrestle the wheel out of my hands and correct me when I was simply trying to make a lane change on the highway and it was just too violent and strong-willed for my taste. I ended up turning that off because of all the times the car would try to deny me a simple lane change while driving down the highway I don't like that. Made me look like a drunk driver.

Maybe don't override and pull the car back into the lane if the turn signal is put on first? Something like that? I turned that function off and wonder if it's been worked on because I've seen a lot of complaints about it in YouTube videos/reviews. People don't like a car that tries to wrestle the wheel out of your hand and deny what you're trying to do. Actually scared me the first couple of times it happened.
Old 02-05-24, 12:01 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by Snaus
There's so much good useful information in this thread, but still hasn't really touched on why I made the post in the first place. What exactly is in the update. What software/firmware changes are included? Usually with updates you can get a list of what's included.
While it may be standard practice for most consumer and professional software products to have release notes detailing the changes, as far as I'm aware Lexus, as a general rule, doesn't provide anything like that to the general public for their vehicle media system software changes. That's why no one has been able to answer your questions in your original posting with any relevant information.

I understand it updated the maps but did it change the view of the map or any of the functionality?
OTA software updates do not update map data. From the "Updating the software" on page 57 of the 2024 LEXUS ES250, ES350, ES300H MULTIMEDIA OWNER'S MANUAL USA AND CANADA ONLY:
​​​● Map data cannot be updated using this service.​​​​
Also, one of Cloud Navigation's function is to refresh the on-board temporary map data when necessary. From the Lexus support article LEXUS INTERFACE DRIVE CONNECT CLOUD NAVIGATION:
​​​​​​​How often does Drive Connect Cloud Navigation refresh my maps?

The map information will update the latest route and traffic details as you search for new destinations or as you progress along an active route guidance. It will also refresh as your vehicle enters new areas.
One thing I think I've noticed is before the update if I didn't click my seat belt before driving away there would be a single ding and then almost immediately it would ding incessantly at me until I clicked in. Now, it dings once and then there is a nice pause to give you time to get it clicked in before it just goes nuts on you like it did before. I could be wrong but I think I noticed that. I will go confirm later on I'm driving a different car this morning.
FYI, there is a dealer programmable setting that will turn off the seat belt reminder chimes. See item 24 through 28 in the "Programmable by Dealer" section of Lexus Personalized Settings - 2024 ES 350/300h/300h F (pdf). If you haven't had your 6 month or 5000 mile complimentary service yet, that service includes making the "Programmable by Dealer" setting changes you want. To eliminate misunderstandings or communication errors, just print out a copy of the pdf, mark it up with the change you want, and had it to the service advisor when you go in for that complementary service.

P.S. The URL set on the My Lexus RESOURCES web page for the 2024 ES's Lexus Personalized Settings "VIEW PDF" button link isn't correct . The set link "https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/lexus/drivers/documents/lps/2024/24%20ES%20LPS_CST.pdf" is using %20's where a correct working link needs a _ character. "https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/lexus/drivers/documents/lps/2024/24_ES_LPS_CST.pdf" is a fixed link that produces the desired pdf.

Quick Reply: New OTA update?