New ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 10:50 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default New ES 350

Hi, drift'n over from the 6th Gen List.
Just bought (buying) a new ES 350 Luxury, Iridum/Acorn. Trading my 2013 Luxury, with only 61k miles. Numbers are: $42,694 OTD (tax, license, fees extra), that included $2,723 dealer discount plus $13,000 trade.

Haven't received it yet, so impressions are just from initial viewing and brief test drive, etc.

First thoughts, it seems darker and "smaller" than the 2013. Darker because my 2013 (Nubla Grey) had dove grey interior, and that included the head liner. The new ones has Acorn seats with black head liner, The combination is definitely darker than light grey on light grey, but it is certainly much lighter than black on black.
Also it seems smaller for two reasons. First I think the windows are smaller because the belt line seems higher (is that true?). and also that the dash is much larger blocking view out the front.

The combination of higher belt line, taller dash, and darker interior making it seem tighter inside, at least from the driver's perspective.

Other thoughts, I really dislike the Frankenstein look of the dash with the two Frankenstein neck bolts sticking out of the dash above the speedo. Especially because the one on the right is the drive mode control. In the 9 years I owned my 2013 i NEVER adjusted the drive mode!. Now I'm doomed to think of the of this stupid and super obvious placement of a totally useless control, every time I drive the car.

Other than that I think things will be good.

Question, I put factory side moldings on the 2015, has anybody done that with a 7th Gen. I really like that they not only provide parking lot protection, that that they provide visual detail to the very featureless sides of the car.

Reasons for buying, well my 2013 was 11 years old, and despite being in great shape time was passing. Also, I expect 2024, or 2025, to be the end of the 7th Gen, particularly where the V6 is concerned. The successor is already sitting in Toyota dealers, and it's called the Crown. And it only comes as a 4 cylinder hybrid...

I know the future is hybrid or EV, but I'm not ready yet.

Thanks everybody, glad to be mov'n up
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: soon to be '24 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Old 02-12-24, 11:29 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

To get an idea of the current market then, your new car cost you about $42,700 plus trade of $13,000 for $55,700 less discount of $2,723 (about 5%). I guess that’s about normal these days. I’d like to shoot for 10% discount on a 2024 when the 2025 comes out. I don’t think I’m going to like the 2025 and will hope for a good deal on a “left over” 2024.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I’m enjoying my 2021. Great cars.

Old 02-13-24, 08:38 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
Hi, drift'n over from the 6th Gen List.
Just bought (buying) a new ES 350 Luxury, Iridum/Acorn. Trading my 2013 Luxury, with only 61k miles. Numbers are: $42,694 OTD (tax, license, fees extra), that included $2,723 dealer discount plus $13,000 trade.

Haven't received it yet, so impressions are just from initial viewing and brief test drive, etc.

First thoughts, it seems darker and "smaller" than the 2013. Darker because my 2013 (Nubla Grey) had dove grey interior, and that included the head liner. The new ones has Acorn seats with black head liner, The combination is definitely darker than light grey on light grey, but it is certainly much lighter than black on black.
Also it seems smaller for two reasons. First I think the windows are smaller because the belt line seems higher (is that true?). and also that the dash is much larger blocking view out the front.

The combination of higher belt line, taller dash, and darker interior making it seem tighter inside, at least from the driver's perspective.

Other thoughts, I really dislike the Frankenstein look of the dash with the two Frankenstein neck bolts sticking out of the dash above the speedo. Especially because the one on the right is the drive mode control. In the 9 years I owned my 2013 i NEVER adjusted the drive mode!. Now I'm doomed to think of the of this stupid and super obvious placement of a totally useless control, every time I drive the car.

Other than that I think things will be good.

Question, I put factory side moldings on the 2015, has anybody done that with a 7th Gen. I really like that they not only provide parking lot protection, that that they provide visual detail to the very featureless sides of the car.

Reasons for buying, well my 2013 was 11 years old, and despite being in great shape time was passing. Also, I expect 2024, or 2025, to be the end of the 7th Gen, particularly where the V6 is concerned. The successor is already sitting in Toyota dealers, and it's called the Crown. And it only comes as a 4 cylinder hybrid...

I know the future is hybrid or EV, but I'm not ready yet.

Thanks everybody, glad to be mov'n up
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: soon to be '24 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Welcome to the 7th generation and congrats on the new ride!

You get used to the ***** on the sides of the instrument cluster. That was one of my dislikes moving over from a 6th gen ES, but I got used to it and don’t even think about it any more. As for the body side moldings, yes many members have installed those. No question they provide some protection, but some of us accept the risk in favor of the cleaner sides. If you do a quick search you can see how they look on this gen ES.

Interesting note on the black headliner. I believe in the past F-Sport models were the only ESs with a black headliner. When I took one for a test drive, I disliked what that black headliner did for the feel inside the car so I can understand your assessment. Another personal preference but I understand many people like that look. It seems the Lexus designers feel it adds a sportier ambiance.
Old 02-13-24, 09:05 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts

Man, those frankenstein bolts gave me a jump scare when I first got in this car, like AHHWTF! But they'll disappear from your view in no time. Congrats and welcome to 7th Gen!
Old 02-13-24, 10:27 AM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
I really dislike the Frankenstein look of the dash with the two Frankenstein neck bolts sticking out of the dash above the speedo.
The position of the Frankenstein ***** was designed by race car drivers. The goal was to minimize movement for the driver so you can really easily reach from the steering wheel to the dial. (Melissa O'Connell.) That probably doesn't make them any more palatable, but at least there is some reasoning behind them.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (02-14-24)
Old 02-13-24, 02:17 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

I have a '22 UL with Acorn. I agree that the black headliner promotes a somewhat dark, claustrophobic feel. One thing I've found helpful on anything less than sunny summer days is to open the sunroof shade.

I also hear you about the goat horns, Frankenknobs or whatever one chooses to call them. One of the factors that was in play there was that, like the interior door handles and the steering wheel, they were borrowing styling cues from the costlier LS and LC to distinguish the ES as a Lexus from Camrys and Avalons. Of course, on the powerful rear-drive LC those controls make a lot more functional sense, but here we are.
GS350Miami (02-14-24)
Old 02-14-24, 10:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I have a '22 UL with Acorn. I agree that the black headliner promotes a somewhat dark, claustrophobic feel. One thing I've found helpful on anything less than sunny summer days is to open the sunroof shade.

I also hear you about the goat horns, Frankenknobs or whatever one chooses to call them. One of the factors that was in play there was that, like the interior door handles and the steering wheel, they were borrowing styling cues from the costlier LS and LC to distinguish the ES as a Lexus from Camrys and Avalons. Of course, on the powerful rear-drive LC those controls make a lot more functional sense, but here we are.
I love the black headliner so much, I rarely open the sunshade
LexFinally (02-14-24)