ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Naviks "Video-in-Motion" device

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24 | 03:09 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Default Naviks "Video-in-Motion" device

I thought I'd make a shameless plug for Naviks "Video-in-Motion" device that bypasses all the restrictions that Toyota and Lexus have implemented. I've been very happy with it and was surprised at how easy it was to install and all the possibilities it opened up.

https://naviks.com/i-24077509-2019-2...in-motion.html

I purchased this right before I totaled my '22 ESh but just picked up another '22 last week and had this installed by the end of the week along with all the other modifications that I had previously done on my old ES (may she rest in pieces) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-totalled.html

I drug my feet on this. It was the last mod I did because I thought it was going to be a royal pain. I was pleasantly surprised when it took no more than 30 minutes to install. I was also concerned because based on the photos provided by Naviks, this involved removing the head unit.

I don't even know where the head unit is on this car. Turns out it's integrated into seat warmer/cooler controls and CD player.

I apologize - I did not take any photos of the process. However, this wonderful video shows how to remove the trim and console pieces in order to access the head unit. Only the first 2 minutes or so are applicable. This video shows how to remove the entire screen which isn't necessary. No need to remove the vents or climate control either. Once you get the console panels removed and the panel above the glove box, you should have enough access to remove the four bolts that hold the unit on. From there, it's just a matter of removing the two cables, plugging in the module, and reattaching the cables to the module in reverse order. I'd also recommend using felt or padding of some sort around the module to avoid rattling.

The primary reason I installed this was to allow Gracenote artwork when driving. Seems a silly reason to spend $200. However, it also allows Bluetooth connection, accessing of folders on the USB drive and anything else on the infotainment section that is locked down when the car isn't in park. Of course, I only do this if it's safe and often it's the front seat passenger doing it. Well worth the money IMO. No more worthless USB icon or generic Sirius XM logo. We're now living a life of danger having Gracenote artwork on the screen while driving. I'm certain this will greatly distract me and lead to (another) accident but that's living on the edge.

Last edited by losiglow; 02-19-24 at 03:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (02-24-24)
Old 02-20-24 | 03:08 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Thank You Very Much for posting this! I was thinking about getting that same unit for our ES350 and it's good to hear a review on it and that you like it!
Old 02-23-24 | 05:37 AM
SonOfABisc
Driver

"Of course, I only do this if it's safe ..."

Proof that we can lie to ourselves as easily as we do to others.
Old 02-26-24 | 09:38 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SonOfABisc
"Of course, I only do this if it's safe ..."

Proof that we can lie to ourselves as easily as we do to others.
Yep, I'm a dangerous guy. Because seeing Gracenote artwork is far more distracting than operating the nav system while driving, clicking on seat warmers/coolers that are 2 feet lower than the windshield and digging through three levels of submenus on the infotainment system to change something in the climate control.

They're cool with us doing all that but not having artwork on the screen that is at the same level as the windshield.