Upgrading 2022 Lexus ES Base Audio- Would Appreciate Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 05:38 PM
cutlernolan
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Upgrading 2022 Lexus ES Base Audio- Would Appreciate Help

Hello,

I got a CPO 2022 Lexus ES 300h recently with the base audio system. Didn't care to go for the ML since it's not much better than the base audio system IMO, but am trying to upgrade the sound system by replacing the subwoofer and three dash speakers and would appreciate any instructions or guides on how to do so.

I know that user E46CT wrote on Club Lexus about upgrading the subwoofer in his car (although his was enclosed, unlike the one I am considering), and user Sonnie wrote about upgrading the system in his 2020 ES, but I was unable to find instructions from that post. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone with knowledge of upgrading the sound system could chime in with advice
P.S. For reference, here are the speakers I am thinking of using:

Focal Access 25 A4 10" Sub- 200w
Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X3C (3 of these)

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Golfing010 (04-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 06:26 PM
Damiansla
Driver School Candidate

+1 Following
Would like to also replace either the rear subwoofer & front speakers. Another thread here lists the JBL 3.5" as front replacements.

Would you happen to know the basic 10 speaker amp wattage? I only managed to find its 4ohm for Front/center/side speakers, and 2.5ohm for sub-woofer.
Old 02-25-24, 07:32 PM
TerryNVA
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

4 ohm all the way around. Try Crutchfield they do a good job with proper fit. Online store.
Old 02-25-24, 08:31 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Damiansla
+1 Following
Would like to also replace either the rear subwoofer & front speakers. Another thread here lists the JBL 3.5" as front replacements.

Would you happen to know the basic 10 speaker amp wattage? I only managed to find its 4ohm for Front/center/side speakers, and 2.5ohm for sub-woofer.
Originally Posted by TerryNVA
4 ohm all the way around. Try Crutchfield they do a good job with proper fit. Online store.
Base system is about 300W with 8 Speakers (3 Dash / 2 Front Doors / 2 Rear Doors / Sub). So around 37.5W per speaker but I'm sure its not all the same. Also, I'm not sure if its max wattage or rms. All speakers are 4Ohms and sub is 2.5Ohms.
My advice is, if you are not changing the AMP look for speakers with Highest Sensitivity to compensate for volume drop from stock. Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C / sensitivity: 83 dB. I went with KICKER 51KSC3504 / Sensitivity: 88dB
JBL that was advised by some was in ML setups and those are 2.3Ohms or so. I don't know if ours actually supports 2ohms, so using them in 4ohms system can cause dmg to the amp over time. As for your sub, its meant for enclosure, you need to look for IB (Infinite-Baffle) subs.

Honestly to make this system sound nice you need new amp.

I will be upgrading my system in 23 ES when weather gets better.
Parts list:
KICKER 51KSC3504 x 5 (Dash / Rear)
KICKER 51KSC6904 x2 (Front Doors)
JL Audio M6-10IB (Sub)
Audison AFM8.14BIT 8-Channel Input & Output

Last edited by ilkinandr; 02-25-24 at 08:37 PM.
Damiansla (02-26-24)
Old 02-26-24, 02:35 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought the 2013 Avalon Limited trim just because of the upgraded JBL audio. It was better than either the base Sony or upgraded ML. Not sure why the ML is not a big improvement over the Sony. I tested both and the amount of sound quality over the base system was not worth the wait time for a UL ES 350 to arrive at the dealer. No dealer in my area was taking "reserves" back in Nov 2023. I do find that I need to "push up the volume" to really get the Sony speakers to preform.
Not like the old days when you knew the stock audio was going to be crap. People think that just the amount of wattage is important. Maybe true when all speakers were 8 ohms. Unless your an expert in electronics and audio systems, I would leave it to the pros.
Good Luck.
barnfry (02-27-24)
Old 02-26-24, 05:56 PM
Damiansla
Driver School Candidate

@ilkinandr,

Thanks! Would you mind doing a short write up about anything odd you encounter and what the difference is? If upgrading the stock amp would make the system better, I wouldn't be opposed to just doing that. But is it just a simple swap out, or are you planning on leaving the stock amp, and splicing into its outputs -> new amp -> speakers/sub.

Also, any reason you went with kicker? Are they a good brand over someone like JL audio / Infinity?

Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and your proposed idea!
Old 02-26-24, 06:08 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

@ilkinandr,

Thanks! Would you mind doing a short write up about anything odd you encounter and what the difference is? If upgrading the stock amp would make the system better, I wouldn't be opposed to just doing that. But is it just a simple swap out, or are you planning on leaving the stock amp, and splicing into its outputs -> new amp -> speakers/sub.

Also, any reason you went with kicker? Are they a good brand over someone like JL audio / Infinity?

Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and your proposed idea!
I just do a lot of research and Kicker speakers i picked seemed to be great spec and review wise. Also was able to get good deals on them. As for subs, in my eyes nothing beats JL Audio IB Marine Subs.
More powerful amp will definitely make the system sound better. So far i did dash speaker swap and its definitely cleaner sound with more separation, but downside its not as loud now. New more powerful AMP will resolve that. As for setup, there is no way to bypass stock amp on 23 ES at this time. So i will be connecting new amp to stock amp High Level Input. I have done that on ES 330 and 2013 ES 350 with very good results. Also, I never splice into wires. I make harnesses to connect everything stock, this way i can pull everything out and put stock back if needed.

I will make a new thread with my install and parts that i have used for stock system upgrade.
The following 2 users liked this post by ilkinandr:
Damiansla (02-26-24), hadouken (03-12-24)
Old 02-26-24, 06:18 PM
Damiansla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
I just do a lot of research and Kicker speakers i picked seemed to be great spec and review wise. Also was able to get good deals on them. As for subs, in my eyes nothing beats JL Audio IB Marine Subs.
More powerful amp will definitely make the system sound better. So far i did dash speaker swap and its definitely cleaner sound with more separation, but downside its not as loud now. New more powerful AMP will resolve that. As for setup, there is no way to bypass stock amp on 23 ES at this time. So i will be connecting new amp to stock amp High Level Input. I have done that on ES 330 and 2013 ES 350 with very good results. Also, I never splice into wires. I make harnesses to connect everything stock, this way i can pull everything out and put stock back if needed.

I will make a new thread with my install and parts that i have used for stock system upgrade.
Thanks for the fast reply! Yeah I haven't seen anyone bypass but figured id ask. Will look forward to your build, sounds exciting. (no pun intended haha)
Old 03-16-24, 08:29 AM
Damiansla
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would update this one with my experience.

I changed out two of the corner speakers with Kicker 3.5" KSC350, It wasn't an exact fit but if you used a larger washer, it will hold the other end of the speaker down. Used the red-wolf adapters, again reversed polarity so re-wire.

For the front door: Crutchfield 4146 metra does not fit, you need the 82-4149, which fits and needs no modification (pictures below). You also need the red-wolf adapter (
Amazon Amazon

Does it sound any different/better? The front tweeters, no. If I could go back, id' probably hold off. Not worth the minimal effort. As for the 6x9, not sure as im waiting for the red-wolf adapters. The ones in the picture are the incorrect ones.

I also attempted to do a speaker level input for the rear subwoofer, but there are no exposed connectors to tap into from the trunk, you will have to take apart the entire back seat, and back rear dash to get to this. Its a project for another day. (unless someone has a better way)

Hopefully this helps, there isnt much info apart from E46CT who's made some threads. The 6th gen es300h is a bit different, so proceed with caution.

Old 03-16-24, 10:07 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Thank you for update. The following adapter has correct polarity. METRA - Toyota 2020 Speaker...
Amazon Amazon

As for the tweeter upgrade. There is a huge difference from stock but you personally might not be able to hear it. When I was installing mine, I put kicker on left and left stock in right side. Then played with fader all the way front left and front right. Kicker has a lot more separation between vocals, highs and mids. Sound comes out clear and you can tell what instrument is playing. Only downside with stock amp it’s not as loud.
Stock tweeter is louder and so are the vocals. But all instruments blend in with vocals and sounds muddy. It really is like been at concert hall vs studio.

Hello,

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would update this one with my experience.

I changed out two of the corner speakers with Kicker 3.5" KSC350, It wasn't an exact fit but if you used a larger washer, it will hold the other end of the speaker down. Used the red-wolf adapters, again reversed polarity so re-wire.

For the front door: Crutchfield 4146 metra does not fit, you need the 82-4149, which fits and needs no modification (pictures below). You also need the red-wolf adapter (https://www.amazon.com/RED-WOLF-2014...the 6x9 I usedKicker 51KSC6904.

Does it sound any different/better? The front tweeters, no. If I could go back, id' probably hold off. Not worth the minimal effort. As for the 6x9, not sure as im waiting for the red-wolf adapters. The ones in the picture are the incorrect ones.

I also attempted to do a speaker level input for the rear subwoofer, but there are no exposed connectors to tap into from the trunk, you will have to take apart the entire back seat, and back rear dash to get to this. Its a project for another day. (unless someone has a better way)

Hopefully this helps, there isnt much info apart from E46CT who's made some threads. The 6th gen es300h is a bit different, so proceed with caution.

Old 03-16-24, 12:53 PM
Damiansla
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

I ordered the new adapters you posted, thanks for the heads up on it. Will save me some time.

Regarding the sub, I found a guy from the E46 forums (mango?) who did a decent write up. https://web.archive.org/web/20220119...subwoofer.html

From that it may be useful to run another 8ga/10ga wire to the underseat harness if you want to place a new amp in the future. Was thinking of using a plug and play system like PUZU... although I know nothing about it other than they make a plug and play harness for the es300h

(https://www.puzu-audio.com/shop/car-...00w-rms-power/)

(https://www.puzu-audio.com/shop/acce...insion-system/)
Old 03-16-24, 01:16 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 356 Posts

The rear deck subwoofer has a connector, N75, accessible from the top by removing the the rear deck speaker grill. See my ML Subwoofer post #4 and Gawein's ML Subwoofer post #6 for more details.

Last edited by grp52; 03-16-24 at 02:45 PM. Reason: fixed a quote glitch
Old 03-16-24, 02:15 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Thanks!

I ordered the new adapters you posted, thanks for the heads up on it. Will save me some time.

Regarding the sub, I found a guy from the E46 forums (mango?) who did a decent write up. https://web.archive.org/web/20220119...subwoofer.html

From that it may be useful to run another 8ga/10ga wire to the underseat harness if you want to place a new amp in the future. Was thinking of using a plug and play system like PUZU... although I know nothing about it other than they make a plug and play harness for the es300h

(https://www.puzu-audio.com/shop/car-...00w-rms-power/)

(https://www.puzu-audio.com/shop/acce...insion-system/)
not sure how much I trust those Chinese amp power ratings but my Audison AFM8.14BIT 8-Channel Input & Output arrived from Germany and I tested it with Dayton Audio UM10-22 10" Ultimax DVC @ 4ohms and it bumps in bridged mode for 7/8 channel
Damiansla (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24, 02:54 PM
Damiansla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
not sure how much I trust those Chinese amp power ratings but my Audison AFM8.14BIT 8-Channel Input & Output arrived from Germany and I tested it with Dayton Audio UM10-22 10" Ultimax DVC @ 4ohms and it bumps in bridged mode for 7/8 channel
Nice!

can’t wait to see the install. you plan on using the PAC Y02 amp adapter?
Old 03-16-24, 02:57 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Nice!

can’t wait to see the install. you plan on using the PAC Y02 amp adapter?
No, last I checked PAC has nothing comparable with 23 es 350 . So high level inputs will be used.

Quick Reply: Upgrading 2022 Lexus ES Base Audio- Would Appreciate Help