Lexus ES300h waxing after drying

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 04:53 PM
socialCar
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ES300h waxing after drying

Hi,
I have been cleaning my new Lexus ES300h and it's great because it's the rainy season in Bay area California so I just use microfiber to dry after rain.
I haven't used any soap. I never used wax and I think it's missing !

1) Do you have a favorite specialty or detailing store I can get wax from?
2) How are you using it, Maybe you are using some wax spray of any brand? What is the right way of applying wax ?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-24, 07:24 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

I wouldn't just use the microfiber to dry right after the rain, the rainwater itself may have dirt in it. If you do continue to go this route, at least spray on a detail spray or rinseless wash to encapsulate the dirt and reduce the chances of swirls or scratches.

Wax itself is still great, but very old school and not durable. Look into sealants, coatings, etc.

Considering your use from your example, Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic coating spray won't break the bank and right up your alley for use.
The following 4 users liked this post by dezymond:
barnfry (03-07-24), dklanecky1 (03-08-24), ESh (03-06-24), FastDawg (03-07-24)
Old 03-06-24, 10:09 PM
socialCar
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dezymond,
Thanks for bringing detailer to my attention and to make a mirror surface.
Although I park in the garage and clean my car every week and I don't see fingerprints or swirl, perhaps paint won't be as glossy.
I have seen dirt at the lower part of the car body when rain washed dirt plus splashes in the road from road or other cars.

Here is what I have researched and those you told me:

For Detailer: after each wash and dry
https://www.sonaxusa.com/sonax-ceramic-detailer.html OR
https://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-qu...ailer-500.html

For wax :
https://www.turtlewax.com/products/h...ating-16-fl-oz (Every 6 months)
Old 03-07-24, 06:57 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by socialCar
Hi,
I have been cleaning my new Lexus ES300h and it's great because it's the rainy season in Bay area California so I just use microfiber to dry after rain.
I haven't used any soap. I never used wax and I think it's missing !

1) Do you have a favorite specialty or detailing store I can get wax from?
2) How are you using it, Maybe you are using some wax spray of any brand? What is the right way of applying wax ?

Thanks.
Your questions would be better answered in the detailing forum... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 03-07-24, 07:36 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
I wouldn't just use the microfiber to dry right after the rain, the rainwater itself may have dirt in it. If you do continue to go this route, at least spray on a detail spray or rinseless wash to encapsulate the dirt and reduce the chances of swirls or scratches.

Wax itself is still great, but very old school and not durable. Look into sealants, coatings, etc.

Considering your use from your example, Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic coating spray won't break the bank and right up your alley for use.
Amazing how Turtle Wax products have become top quality over the years. I use this stuff and it beads rainwater for months.

The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (03-08-24)
Old 03-07-24, 07:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Truth is pretty much most/all coatings, sealants, and waxes are all effective and certainly better than nothing. Chemistry and technology is great today. Anything from Turtle Wax or Meguiars will be effective and user friendly.

As others have said, never take any towel to paint with *JUST* water on it, such as rain, or even when drying your car after a soap wash. Any time you take a towel to a car to dry, you need to have some kind of drying lubricant aka drying aid. If not --that's a guaranteed way to introduce scratches. Also invest in a dedicated large, thick drying towel. Don't use an individual microfiber, another way to scratch your paint using it for drying. It's too small, too thin, especially with just your hand behind a single layer.
Old 03-07-24, 07:43 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Good wash/detail habits will give you nice protected mirror like results.

Old 03-07-24, 08:30 AM
GreenGobln
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I would detail my former Mustang and take it to car shows. Turtle Wax......their hybrid solutions line has been some of the best easy to get stuff I have used. Looks great and lasts as long as you prep and put on properly.
The Graphene Flex Wax spray or the Max Wax liquid are both great.
The Ceramic Wax 3 in 1 Detailer is great in between washes or cleaning spots.

The Hybrid ceramic line is also good. There's instructions on the bottle to follow that's easy and videos online.
Old 03-07-24, 09:07 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I have all of my vehicles professionally ceramic coated since I discovered it in 2015. Yes - it can be costly depending on where you live but if you take your car to the right shop they will warrant their work and you won't spend much time detailing cars.
Old 03-07-24, 09:22 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I'm out doing detailing fairly frequently anyway since I like a spotless detailed car.

No coating will prevent your car from getting dirty nor will any coating eliminate the need for upkeep to maintain optimal top-layer properties.

So yes you can coat in an expensive "professional" coating and let it sit and rinse it off once in a while but that will 1) leave you with a dirty/dirtier car in between your washes and 2) clog your coating over time masking its properties to some degree or another.

For the cleanest car w/ optimal top-layer properties, frequent detail & regular decon is necessary, regardless of what protection you have.

Even with my cheap waxes and spray coatings, dirt glides right off with a low pressure wash. Cleaning is made easy. Off the shelf sealants/coatings/waxes are so good today that law of diminishing returns hits very quickly. You'll have to apply the cheap ones every 3-6 months ago but that's not a big deal. it's a lot of fun to switch up top-layer protection.
Old 03-07-24, 09:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
I'm out doing detailing fairly frequently anyway since I like a spotless detailed car.

No coating will prevent your car from getting dirty nor will any coating eliminate the need for upkeep to maintain optimal top-layer properties.

So yes you can coat in an expensive "professional" coating and let it sit and rinse it off once in a while but that will 1) leave you with a dirty/dirtier car in between your washes and 2) clog your coating over time masking its properties to some degree or another.

For the cleanest car w/ optimal top-layer properties, frequent detail & regular decon is necessary, regardless of what protection you have.

Even with my cheap waxes and spray coatings, dirt glides right off with a low pressure wash. Cleaning is made easy. Off the shelf sealants/coatings/waxes are so good today that law of diminishing returns hits very quickly. You'll have to apply the cheap ones every 3-6 months ago but that's not a big deal. it's a lot of fun to switch up top-layer protection.
Zero maintenance Teslas need to be washed?
MAMOSKO (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 10:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Thankfully the brakes are almost never used, even with aggressive stopping! So the wheels stay very clean, longer! and thus the rest of the car. i cant think of the last time i had to use the brake pedal.
Old 03-07-24, 10:11 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Thankfully the brakes are almost never used, even with aggressive stopping! So the wheels stay very clean, longer! and thus the rest of the car. i cant think of the last time i had to use the brake pedal.
That is crazy but I can sort of understand after driving my wife's new hybrid just once.
Old 03-07-24, 10:46 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you ever had a car professionally ceramic coated? I had my Ceramic Pro coated Corvette hand washed last September in anticipation of a back surgery that would keep me out of it. It has sat in a detached garage the last six months. I was checking the air in the tires last week and there isn't even any dust on that car. I could take it to a car show without cleaning it up.

I just sold a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD with the same coating on it. I took pictures of it after driving it in the rain and posted them on FB to let my friends know that I was selling it to see if they knew anyone who was interested. One of my friends met me at the bank the next day to give me a check for exactly what I asked and off he went.

A professional ceramic coating allows the water to roll off the car eliminating the road grime and water spots that all non-commercial products allow to stick to the car. Yes - they will show some dirt over time but I spend my time driving them - not washing them.
dklanecky1 (03-08-24)
Old 03-07-24, 08:30 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Amazing how Turtle Wax products have become top quality over the years. I use this stuff and it beads rainwater for months.

Yeah I was really impressed with that and their ceramic spray. Makes for real easy cleanup and pretty good protection overall with minimal effort. Turtle Wax has come a long way and is absolutely killing it in value

Quick Reply: Lexus ES300h waxing after drying