ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Question for those with HUD and panoramic view monitor

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 10:28 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by southwestheat
I tried searching the forum for these, but got a lot of irrelevant results. Also browsed YouTube and Google but didn't find anything satisfying.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does the HUD display Android Auto/Carplay directions? Or does only the OEM nav show up?

2. For those of you with the PVM, how do you like it? I thought I read a post once where someone said the image is too distorted to be of use, but that was only one person. Given that the image on the screen is stitched from multiple cameras, I'm curious how accurate/reliable it is for not colliding with an object that isn't showing on the screen, or the screen shows the object, but makes it look farther away?

When I bought my ES, there was the semiconductor shortage. Given the potential usefulness of these 2 features combined with the V6 most likely going bye-bye next year, I'm considering trading.

TIA
I didn't read the previous replies so forgive me if I am redundant.
Question 1: I know Apple Maps directions do not display on the HUD just on the instrument panel and infotainment display. The Lexus map directions do. I am unsure if you use Google maps if it appears on the HUD. I think it might because the Lexus map uses Google maps for some of it's information like POI and Traffic.

Question 2: I bought my new 2024 ES350 at the end of Nov. 2023. I bought a top load base model as far as Lexus would build. I did get the 12.3 screen and the parking assist option. You can not get the 360 camera view on the base trim. It's auto breaking only in reverse. Yet you get warnings forward obstacles but it doesn't pick up low curbs that you can scrap the front end on. Thus one of the reasons I wanted at least the Luxury trim was for the 360 view. Even with that there was no guarantee that Lexus would build that option on a Luxury trim. Like you even the end of 2023 it was limited choices of trim and options. Even today Luxury UL and Hybrids are in short supply.
Back to your question. From what I have seen the 360 view is not super accurate but it is still much better than not having it and not awful. I bought the 2024 because I keep my cars a long time and drive few miles. So didn't want a hybrid. I was also concerned that the V6 was no longer going to be available. We still don't know. I wouldn't worry about the other options being less or worse because the new redesign should have the 3.0 or better safety package.
Old 03-14-24, 11:06 AM
Jersey5974
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not sure why you would use that auto on at low speeds. It automatically comes on when the proximity sensors kick in.
Old 03-14-24, 12:27 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey5974
I'm not sure why you would use that auto on at low speeds. It automatically comes on when the proximity sensors kick in.
In many of the usefulness cases, the panoramic monitor view is really useful long before the ultrasonic parking assist sensors "kick in" even in those cases where those sensors do ultimately "kick in".

Last edited by grp52; 03-14-24 at 12:28 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (03-16-24)
Old 03-14-24, 06:48 PM
eyesurgeon
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried searching the forum for these, but got a lot of irrelevant results. Also browsed YouTube and Google but didn't find anything satisfying.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does the HUD display Android Auto/Carplay directions? Or does only the OEM nav show up?

2. For those of you with the PVM, how do you like it? I thought I read a post once where someone said the image is too distorted to be of use, but that was only one person. Given that the image on the screen is stitched from multiple cameras, I'm curious how accurate/reliable it is for not colliding with an object that isn't showing on the screen, or the screen shows the object, but makes it look farther away?

When I bought my ES, there was the semiconductor shortage. Given the potential usefulness of these 2 features combined with the V6 most likely going bye-bye next year, I'm considering trading.

TIA
I find my HUD to be very useful, mine does display turn by turn directions from carplay. I use HUD every time I drive, mostly for using the adaptive CC, where it shows my set speed and follow distance.

PVM is excellent resolution and extremely useful especially on such a long car.
Old 03-15-24, 08:30 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
[excerpt] From what I have seen the 360 view is not super accurate but it is still much better than not having it and not awful.
I have two Lexus models with this feature and my experience has been just the opposite. They are very accurate on both of my cars. If you have experienced otherwise, perhaps the cameras were not properly aligned?
ATL350 (03-15-24)
Old 03-15-24, 08:32 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey5974
It is nice for seeing those parking lot lines though. Some of us are a bit OCD
The following 3 users liked this post by TechNut:
ATL350 (03-16-24), FastDawg (03-16-24), grp52 (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24, 05:58 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I love the panoramic view. I use it quite often. I don’t use CarPlay for navigation but I do like the HUD. I’ve got it on all of our vehicles.
Old 03-16-24, 06:00 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
It is nice for seeing those parking lot lines though. Some of us are a bit OCD
Especially since so many parking lots have very narrow slots and it’s helpful to get as centered as possible.
The following 3 users liked this post by ATL350:
FastDawg (03-16-24), grp52 (03-16-24), TechNut (03-17-24)
Old 03-16-24, 01:36 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
Especially since so many parking lots have very narrow slots and it’s helpful to get as centered as possible.
Add getting parked in the spot markings for parallel parking to that; as well as, avoiding the dreaded tire curb scrubbing and associated ill treatment of tires and wheels.
The following 5 users liked this post by grp52:
ATL350 (03-16-24), dklanecky1 (03-17-24), FastDawg (03-17-24), TechNut (03-17-24), YumpinYiminy (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 09:21 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by grp52
Add getting parked in the spot markings for parallel parking to that; as well as, avoiding the dreaded tire curb scrubbing and associated ill treatment of tires and wheels.
Excellent example. I have another one. My bank recently put in a new drive up ATM machine. Unfortunately they forgot to put it close enough for you to use it from your car. I need to get really tight to the curb. I use my rear view mirror to kind of judge my distance from the high curb. This curb is high enough that I get the forward warning but it means little since I can't see it. Thus the 360 view would be nice. Plus the 360 also works in forward when under 10 mph.
I like my 2024 ES 350 yet don't love it. It was slim pickings when I bought it so I ended up with a "Lexus full option base build". Also Black on Black. I am seriously think of trading it in for a Luxury or UL with acceptable colors and options. 4 months and I have less than 1000 miles. Yet, my dealer has 14 ES 350's and discounted less than what I paid for my car and I got 9% off. Also Luxury and UL are in short supply.
Old 03-22-24, 10:10 AM
southwestheat
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up buying a '24 Lux with the HUD and PVM. I can see the PVM being a must-have for me in the future (just like regular backup cams are to most people). I find it undistorted and clear. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I used it.
​​
The HUD is nice. Not a must-have, but it's nice and I'll spring for it in the future too. I've only used Google maps (via Android Auto) once and it didn't show directions, but I see a recent reply that someone's Carplay nav came through. I have noticed that I get directions on the multi-info screen (if I scroll to it) when using AA, so was hoping that same integration would carry over to the HUD. I'll play with it some more and try my wife's iPhone. I don't use nav that often so even without the directions in the HUD it's still nice to see actual speed vs speed limit without taking my eyes off the road.
F3Woody (03-22-24)
Old 03-23-24, 05:51 AM
YumpinYiminy
Pit Crew

Cool

Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up buying a '24 Lux with the HUD and PVM. I can see the PVM being a must-have for me in the future (just like regular backup cams are to most people). I find it undistorted and clear. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I used it.
​​
The HUD is nice. Not a must-have, but it's nice and I'll spring for it in the future too. I've only used Google maps (via Android Auto) once and it didn't show directions, but I see a recent reply that someone's Carplay nav came through. I have noticed that I get directions on the multi-info screen (if I scroll to it) when using AA, so was hoping that same integration would carry over to the HUD. I'll play with it some more and try my wife's iPhone. I don't use nav that often so even without the directions in the HUD it's still nice to see actual speed vs speed limit without taking my eyes off the road.
When I was using the "Build a Lexus" tool I was trying to decide what options would be worth putting on a build. That got shattered when I got the reality check on custom ordering a Lexus. Anyway, I thought I would pass on the HUD option. The videos I saw only showed the Tach and Speed display so didn't think it useful. My base model had the option and it is actually useful. I have mine set to show ECO, Speed, Speed Limit signs. This setting also shows info on the lane keeping and cruise control. I live in the northeast and the lane lines are not always that visible. It's nice to see when the car is picking them up instead of looking down at the instrument panel. I also get that weird flashing snowflake with temperature when it 37 or below. It's suppose to be a warning that the road might be slippery. Strange - I usually know when it's cold out.
Old 03-23-24, 07:01 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by YumpinYiminy
When I was using the "Build a Lexus" tool I was trying to decide what options would be worth putting on a build. That got shattered when I got the reality check on custom ordering a Lexus. Anyway, I thought I would pass on the HUD option. The videos I saw only showed the Tach and Speed display so didn't think it useful. My base model had the option and it is actually useful. I have mine set to show ECO, Speed, Speed Limit signs. This setting also shows info on the lane keeping and cruise control. I live in the northeast and the lane lines are not always that visible. It's nice to see when the car is picking them up instead of looking down at the instrument panel. I also get that weird flashing snowflake with temperature when it 37 or below. It's suppose to be a warning that the road might be slippery. Strange - I usually know when it's cold out.
It is configurable to a point, in addition to showing speed/tach. Per the manual (on my ’22) it says you can enable/disable display of : - Route guidance to destination/street name; - Driving support technology; - Compass; - Audio system operation status."
FastDawg (03-23-24)