ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Friend Asks About Panoramic Roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 09:47 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts
Default Friend Asks About Panoramic Roof

A buddy of mine is considering my recommendation that he buy a Lexus. He’s looking at Luxury models with panoramic roof. He asks me if they’re troublesome or reliable. I scrolled through the thread on our forum and read of many guys having problems with them. However, those posting are the ones with problems. Not many of the thousands owning panoramic tops seemed to feel it necessary to post.
So I’m inquiring whether this nice accessory is prone to extra maintenance and expense. What seems to be the consensus?
Old 03-19-24, 10:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
A buddy of mine is considering my recommendation that he buy a Lexus. He’s looking at Luxury models with panoramic roof. He asks me if they’re troublesome or reliable. I scrolled through the thread on our forum and read of many guys having problems with them. However, those posting are the ones with problems. Not many of the thousands owning panoramic tops seemed to feel it necessary to post.
So I’m inquiring whether this nice accessory is prone to extra maintenance and expense. What seems to be the consensus?
I love them but just based on a highly conservative approach, won't buy a car with one. They have some history of exploding but probably small % based on the total produced. I had a car for about five years with one - not a Lexus and never had an issue.
Old 03-19-24, 10:40 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

There is no extra prescribed maintenance I'm aware of for panoramic roofs. And, most owners will never encounter a problem with their panoramic roofs. If most did, it would be so costly for automakers that they'd either price them even higher or cease to offer them.

Now, if the question was, is the chance of problems higher with a panoramic roof than without one? Unquestionably the incidence of problems is greater with a panoramic roof than without one, just as with any other car that either has or doesn't have an accessory or feature that adds parts and complexity to the car.

I come from a unique perspective on this question, as a person who bought during the height of the shortages. I explicitly ordered a car to be built without the roof, and Lexus then proceeded 6 months later to build my car with it against my wishes and left me with a "take it now or leave it and wait 6 more months" decision. (To their credit, my dealership then excused me from paying its extra cost.) So, I don't have any emotional attachment to the feature. But it has been both attractive and trouble-free so far in my 2 years of ownership.

My overall advice to your friend would be that since statistical surveys such as Consumer Reports don't seem to have flagged this feature as a special source of trouble, they should decide on it the same way they would on any other option: Do they really want to have it? Is the extra cost in both money and complexity worth it to them because of the pleasure it would bring them? And then I'd decide on that basis.
Old 03-19-24, 11:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

The pano roof in my old 2013 ES had zero issues for the 8 years I owned it. If there was an option to get one, I would always choose it.
Old 03-19-24, 12:46 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

[QUOTE=LexFinally;11690920] I explicitly ordered a car to be built without the roof, and Lexus then proceeded 6 months later to build my car with it against my wishes and left me with a "take it now or leave it and wait 6 more months" decision.

I also tried to order a car w/o any sun roof or PR. The salesman told me he couldn't do it. I used it once, 5 years ago the night I got the car to make sure it worked... Hasn't been open since...

The following users liked this post:
MAMOSKO (03-20-24)
Old 03-19-24, 03:09 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike728
The pano roof in my old 2013 ES had zero issues for the 8 years I owned it. If there was an option to get one, I would always choose it.
So I understand this Pano roof accessory correctly, it’s comprised of two panels. The front one is the regular sunroof that we all have. It opens as they all do. The rear, larger portion is stationary. It allows light in but doesn’t open. So in that respect, there are no additional moving parts to what we all have to go bad. Correct?
Now, I’m reading that sometimes the rubber sealers fade from dark black to whiteish or they dry out and cause leakage. Perhaps they have to be lubricated from time to time to keep them supple.
Am I missing anything?
I use my sun roof all the time and in my 4th year, no problems of any kind.
I’m inclined to recommend he gets it if he really wants it. It’s not an apparent weak spot of any kind, I gather.

Old 03-19-24, 03:29 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

I think they are very reliable, but it is not recommended to use them when you have snow/ice on top of the roof.
Old 03-19-24, 03:29 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Why do cars come with sunroofs panoramic roofs whatever you call them I hate them I have 2 cars with them never used, too hot in OZ, everyone I know never use there's, just my point of view cheers.
Old 03-19-24, 03:57 PM
Shaboom
Racer

So I understand this Pano roof accessory correctly, it’s comprised of two panels. The front one is the regular sunroof that we all have. It opens as they all do. The rear, larger portion is stationary. It allows light in but doesn’t open. So in that respect, there are no additional moving parts to what we all have to go bad. Correct?
Now, I’m reading that sometimes the rubber sealers fade from dark black to whiteish or they dry out and cause leakage. Perhaps they have to be lubricated from time to time to keep them supple.
Am I missing anything?
I’m inclined to recommend he gets it if he really wants it. It’s not an apparent weak spot of any kind, I gather.

Old 03-19-24, 04:46 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Am I missing anything?
Incorrect. They are pretty much full glass panels on the roof. Much larger than the standard sunroof we have on the front.
Old 03-19-24, 05:17 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Am I missing anything?
Pretty much the whole roof is glass, except the small front section by the windshield, which is metal and flips up when the roof is opened. The section just behind that opens over the rear glass. I'm sure that adds some components, as there's more to it than the standard sunroof. I never had any leakage and it was very quiet. Never did any maintenance, other than wiping the seals down after washing. I never added any lubricants.

I used it all the time and wish all vehicles came with the option. Our Tesla just has the glass roof, but is stationary, which is disappointing.
Old 03-20-24, 04:12 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

We’ve had them on Toyota Highlanders and our ES and RX. Never had a problem on any of them. I actually use mine. My wife has never used hers! In the winter I always have the cover open to let more light in.
Old 03-20-24, 05:53 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Pretty much the whole roof is glass, except the small front section by the windshield, which is metal and flips up when the roof is opened. The section just behind that opens over the rear glass. I'm sure that adds some components, as there's more to it than the standard sunroof. I never had any leakage and it was very quiet. Never did any maintenance, other than wiping the seals down after washing. I never added any lubricants.

I used it all the time and wish all vehicles came with the option. Our Tesla just has the glass roof, but is stationary, which is disappointing.
All favorable. Thank you.
The only thing I, personally, am not crazy about is the way the sunroof portion has to slide over the back glass and the metal strip up front is exposed. On my ordinary Lexus sunroof, it’s so neat and clean when opened, sliding into the “pocket.” This was one reason I chose my ES over the BMW. Their sunroof when opened slides over.
I’ll report the absence of negative comments reano to my inquisitor.
I think one can buy the pano without the Luxury level. Probably hard to find though.
Old 03-20-24, 05:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

My sunroof has NEVER been opened since I bought the car more than five years ago Furthermore, I usually keep the shade closed to enhance the cave aura with the black headliner
Old 03-20-24, 06:29 AM
Shaboom
Racer

May I then ask why you spent extra money for it if you never use it and keep the shade closed?

Quick Reply: Friend Asks About Panoramic Roof