ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Mark Levinson Not Good

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 09:34 PM
Paddler213
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Not Good

Took delivery of a new 2024 ES300h this afternoon. Anybody else think the 17-speaker Mark Levinson system sucks? Specifically the Fader. With the dot in the middle, very little sound comes from the rear, and what does is tinny. In order to get immersive sound I have to put the button halfway between the middle and the bottom. My Expedition Max XLT with the base sound system sounds better, as does my 25 year-old BMW 528i. I have a >$30K audio system in my home theater, and this Mark Levinson is the worst system I've heard, especially given the cost.
Old 03-20-24, 04:22 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

What source material are you listening to?
Old 03-20-24, 05:48 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

There are literally scores of posts regarding this subject that started back in gen 6 cars and continued into gen 7. Many have suggestions for improvement, component swaps, and more. I would suggest you do a search and look them up for more information.
Old 03-20-24, 05:51 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Originally Posted by ndunn
What source material are you listening to?
MP3 from my Pixel Pro 7, but very much doubt that's the problem. I played with the fader a bit more last night and it's better. I'm not overwhelmed, but it's okay. I expected a more immersive sound with the fader centered. It decreases the level much more in the front than it increases it in the rear.

I remember Levinson amps and preamps for home audio from back in the 90's, so expected better. Although I run a Bryston 4B SST2 in my home theater. Not familiar with Levinson speakers, but passing off 7 two-way speakers as 14 is bunk. Does that mean my pair of B&W 800D2's are 8 speakers?

No way in hell am I swapping components. I've looked at a couple of those threads and am not going to take apart a new car to swap speakers. Lexus needs to up its game.

Last edited by Paddler213; 03-20-24 at 05:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SonOfABisc (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 05:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Here we go again
The following 8 users liked this post by mikemu30:
ATL350 (03-20-24), bc6152 (03-20-24), es250fsport (07-07-24), FastDawg (03-20-24), Lesley248 (03-20-24), LexFinally (03-20-24), MAMOSKO (03-20-24), Paddler213 (03-20-24) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-24, 06:42 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Here we go again
I have been contemplating, and would definitely listen to it before buying it.
Old 03-20-24, 07:13 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddler213
Took delivery of a new 2024 ES300h this afternoon. Anybody else think the 17-speaker Mark Levinson system sucks? Specifically the Fader. With the dot in the middle, very little sound comes from the rear, and what does is tinny. In order to get immersive sound I have to put the button halfway between the middle and the bottom. My Expedition Max XLT with the base sound system sounds better, as does my 25 year-old BMW 528i. I have a >$30K audio system in my home theater, and this Mark Levinson is the worst system I've heard, especially given the cost.
Little to no sound from the rear. You can compare it to anything you want and it ain't gonna change. I have the ML in my ES - it's fine but honestly just doesn't seem much better then the Lexus base systems I've heard. The base system in my wife's new RX seems to pound out more BASS than my ES ML. Is what it is.
scubapr (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 07:16 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Different systems can play lower quality sources like mp3 better than others. Try a good quality source like cd to flac or wav file to make your judgement on this system.
Old 03-20-24, 07:39 AM
rlee777
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Traditional accuracy seems to be the primary design factor for the Lexus ML systems. Front-based soundstaging, neutral freq response, low distortion, accurate timbre. Not attention grabbing immersive sound with high displacement bass. Give it some time with some uncompressed sources and then decide if the ML setup is worthy.
Old 03-20-24, 08:18 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Originally Posted by alextv
Different systems can play lower quality sources like mp3 better than others. Try a good quality source like cd to flac or wav file to make your judgement on this system.
Sorry, I don't buy that. Also, the 2024 ES doesn't have a CD player.

I can't stand bloated, flabby bass. I want accurate reproduction of the sound as it was recorded, which in audiophile terminology is referred to as "The Absolute Sound". Which is unattainable in a moving car, of course.

Last edited by Paddler213; 03-20-24 at 08:22 AM.
scubapr (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 08:59 AM
ndunn
Driver

MP3 from my Pixel Pro 7, but very much doubt that's the problem. I played with the fader a bit more last night and it's better. I'm not overwhelmed, but it's okay. I expected a more immersive sound with the fader centered. It decreases the level much more in the front than it increases it in the rear.

I remember Levinson amps and preamps for home audio from back in the 90's, so expected better. Although I run a Bryston 4B SST2 in my home theater. Not familiar with Levinson speakers, but passing off 7 two-way speakers as 14 is bunk. Does that mean my pair of B&W 800D2's are 8 speakers?

No way in hell am I swapping components. I've looked at a couple of those threads and am not going to take apart a new car to swap speakers. Lexus needs to up its game.
I'm only trying to evaluate the stereo no dog in the fight not that it is a fight. I come from a background in audio and at one time owned a Levinson No. 383 integrated that I traded off years ago. Today I have two speaker system consisting of Von Schweikert speakers, Balanced Audio amp, preamp with PS Audio DAC and home made server feeding ALAC lossless music files. All meaningless except possibly comparing to home theater which accentuates surround/immersion, bass and sound effects for impact while watching video.

Doubtful the type of files used will have much to do with the fader response you are experiencing though the MP3 files might sound better on a boombox than they would sound on a more resolving system. But to repeat I have no experience with the Lexus ML system other than during a test drive which is insufficient in evaluating how it will sound with lossless files and various recording masterings. As an aside I would never rely on SiriusXM to evaluate a sound system as they are less resolute than MP3 even. It could be that the ML system is more resolving which can make poor recordings sound worse not better.

Last edited by ndunn; 03-20-24 at 09:06 AM.
LexFinally (06-12-24)
Old 03-20-24, 09:03 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts

Are the MP3 high quality ones 256k+? Also, try setting "Surround" to Off on the ML.

To further troubleshoot, and discard the sound source processing "Pixel Pro 7", copy some MP3 (that you are very familiar) to a USB JumpDrive and use the car USB ports to play them. If there's a difference, it could be a setting in the Pixel. For example, on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra I had to disable the Dolby Atmos Sound processing to get the best audio on my ML System (at least to my ear preference).

IMHO you can't compare a good home audio music listening setup to the ML or any other for that matter. The best car audio system I've listened recently is the new Acura ELS Studio 3D; and even that can't compare to my < $1k (2.1) desktop stereo setup let alone my living room HT/Music setup.
Old 03-20-24, 09:10 AM
ndunn
Driver

Originally Posted by scubapr
Are the MP3 high quality ones 256k+? Also, try setting "Surround" to Off on the ML.

To further troubleshoot, and discard the sound source processing "Pixel Pro 7", copy some MP3 (that you are very familiar) to a USB JumpDrive and use the car USB ports to play them. If there's a difference, it could be a setting in the Pixel. For example, on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra I had to disable the Dolby Atmos Sound processing to get the best audio on my ML System (at least to my ear preference).

IMHO you can't compare a good home audio music listening setup to the ML or any other for that matter. The best car audio system I've listened recently is the new Acura ELS Studio 3D; and even that can't compare to my < $1k (2.1) desktop stereo setup let alone my living room HT/Music setup.
Good point, turn off all DSP and set all tone controls to midpoint and go from there. Let your ear adjust over a period of time and then make small adjustments one at a time if something is lacking. Good luck, OP.

I'm wondering has anyone experimented with a standalone cd player connected through the USB port?
scubapr (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 09:11 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/tx-...nd-system.html

Last edited by bc6152; 03-20-24 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-20-24, 09:15 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts

Good Thread: How to Get the Most Enjoyment from Your Awesome Mark Levinson Sound System
LexFinally (03-20-24)

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Not Good