ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Heads Up Display?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24 | 07:30 AM
komobu
Driver

Default Heads Up Display?

Looking for a used ES350 with Heads up Display on the windshield. Any idea what year the HUD started? Also what package had them...F Sport, Luxury Ultra Luxury? Thanks for any info.
Old 03-22-24 | 08:39 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by komobu
Looking for a used ES350 with Heads up Display on the windshield. Any idea what year the HUD started? Also what package had them...F Sport, Luxury Ultra Luxury? Thanks for any info.
My 2019 Luxury model has that option. However, it was not part of a package. It was listed on the Monroney label as a separate option. I do not recall if it was standard on the Ultra Luxury or F Sport packages, but I believe you are likely to find it more commonly included on cars with those packages.
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24 | 09:37 AM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechNut
My 2019 Luxury model has that option. However, it was not part of a package. It was listed on the Monroney label as a separate option. I do not recall if it was standard on the Ultra Luxury or F Sport packages, but I believe you are likely to find it more commonly included on cars with those packages.
It was an add-on option for my 2019 Ultra Luxury. From the screen snapshot of the (US) 2022 Lexus ES FEATURES comparison table I have, a HUD became a standard feature of Ultra Luxury model types and an add-on option for all other model types by that model year.
Old 03-22-24 | 12:44 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechNut
Option on my FSport as well. I have it, never use it. Have it on the new RX in a bigger way, will never use it. Wifey hates it as well.
Old 03-22-24 | 01:02 PM
alextv
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Option on my FSport as well. I have it, never use it. Have it on the new RX in a bigger way, will never use it. Wifey hates it as well.
Lexus went a big way into trying to make you use the HUD on new RX. When I test drove I turned it off to see how much would be on instrument cluster screen. Was not happy with a lot of so called improvements. That nice car could have been made so much nicer. This is the way Lexus is going though so I better get used to it. I don't think there is another car as reliable as Lexus out there.
Old 03-22-24 | 04:27 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alextv
Lexus went a big way into trying to make you use the HUD on new RX. When I test drove I turned it off to see how much would be on instrument cluster screen. Was not happy with a lot of so called improvements. That nice car could have been made so much nicer. This is the way Lexus is going though so I better get used to it. I don't think there is another car as reliable as Lexus out there.
What's displayed in HUD that's not in the cluster when it's off? ( sorry this now belongs in the RX forum )
Old 03-23-24 | 06:41 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

I love a HUD. I have one in all of my vehicles.
Old 03-23-24 | 07:03 AM
alextv
Instructor

What's displayed in HUD that's not in the cluster when it's off? ( sorry this now belongs in the RX forum )
This was several months ago and don't remember exact but do remember walking away wishing the non hud instrument cluster with all the info were the same as the hud instrument cluster with hud turned off as that would have given us the option of both as in our ES. Maybe I just didn't play with it enough. The ES refresh will most likely be this way also.
Old 03-23-24 | 09:44 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

I had read that some new owners were upset because certain features were integrated through the HUD, on vehicles so equipped. At least at that point in their "discovery" of their new ride, they couldn't find another way to utilize the feature. I wasn't shopping for one and didn't pay much attention so I'm afraid I don't know what specific features they were referring to. I would search the new RX subforum as that was where I read it.
EDIT: Just searched for this and I cannot find it. It certainly doesn't make sense anyway. I may have actually been misreading post #23 on this thread: HUD and polarized glasses - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Last edited by TechNut; 03-23-24 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-23-24 | 12:20 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I turned on HUD in our RX for the first time just to see what might be there and that's not accessible in the cluster. Couldn't ID any critical functions missing. The main thing to me are the customizable touch senstive buttons and they appear and function perfectly in the cluster with the HUD turned off. Needless to say, HUD will be staying off. It takes up half the windshield when on. Jeez🤔