ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 12:42 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm reading the manual and can't believe what I am seeing!

Can someone please tell me how my name is displayed when the screen is turned on?
Does that mean someone has "registered" me? What other information would/could they have entered at the same time?
Can someone please tell me how to remove my name/other info completely from the vehicle?
Thanks!

Also how can I turn on/use the radio/USB songs without ever setting up a profile?

Last edited by NoiseFree; 03-23-24 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-23-24, 12:51 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemu30
To open the trunk with the FOB, you HOLD the button for an extra second or so. A press will not do it.
Thanks mike!
Just tried it by holding it down and it now works.
I don't think I'll ever use the FOB to open it but it's nice to know what works and what doesn't.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 01:24 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Thanks mike!
Just tried it by holding it down and it now works.
I don't think I'll ever use the FOB to open it but it's nice to know what works and what doesn't.
The key fob's trunk release button operating characteristics have several different options that can be programmed by the dealer. From the 2024 ES 350/300h/300h F Lexus Personalized Settings (pdf link fixed to work from broken My Lexus Resources link):
​​...
​​​​​Programmable by Dealer
35. Opening the Trunk

Pressing the trunk release button on the electronic key will open the trunk. The release button can be programmed as follows:

o Press button one time to release the trunk (no delay)

o Press button two times to release the trunk

o Press and hold button for 0.8 seconds to release the trunk (Default)

o Press and hold button for 2 seconds to release the trunk

o The button can be turned off so the trunk cannot be opened using the electronic key
Although hold durations aren't expressed in seconds quantities, you can find the same options listed on page 408 in the "8-2. Customization" subchapter of the 2024 LEXUS ES250, ES350 OWNER'S MANUAL USA AND CANADA ONLY.
NoiseFree (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 02:04 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks bc.
I wasn't given the window sticker.
I thought they had to give it to you. May be different by state. Generally in glove compartment.
Old 03-23-24, 02:14 PM
grp52
Instructor

Well as I mentioned yesterday I just picked up my new 2024 ES-350.

I have a bunch of questions I'm hoping can be answered here.
I noticed that the lights come on in my garage and stay on when I turn off my engine. Over time, wouldn't
this drain the battery more than if I had turned the lights off manually before turning off the engine?
While the 30 seconds (default) time the headlights remain on does drain the battery some, the next time you drive your ES the battery will be recharged so there's no accumulating net discharge of the battery. (Provided, of course, the drive duration is sufficient to allow for complete recharging of the battery and your battery hasn't degraded to a marginal operational state.)

If you're concerned about it, Northside Lexus's Melissa O'Connell's "2023 Lexus ES Full Tutorial - Deep Dive" (which is also applicable for 2024 ESs) starting at 2:24:40 time mark shows how you can change the light settings including the duration of the headlights remaining on:

In case you weren't already aware of them, Melissa's videos are really informative and can be a big help in finding and figuring out many of the various features of your ES. For many of her videos, especially the hours long ones like the ES tutorial deep dive ones, if you expand the video description section you'll find a detailed time marked index so you can readily jump to a particular point in the video where she discusses that item without having to watch the video from the beginning.
NoiseFree (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 02:14 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by alextv
I thought they had to give it to you. May be different by state. Generally in glove compartment.
Thanks Alex.
I'm in Ontario Canada so it might be different here.
I've opened the glove compartment already and nothing was there.

But it's interesting to learn about the features my car has/doesn't have via the manual/forum here.
Old 03-23-24, 02:25 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by grp52
While the 30 seconds (default) time the headlights remain on does drain the battery some, the next time you drive your ES the battery will be recharged so there's no accumulating net discharge of the battery. (Provided, of course, the drive duration is sufficient to allow for complete recharging of the battery and your battery hasn't degraded to a marginal operational state.)
re: Auto-off timer for lights.
I see there are settings for 90, 60, 30 seconds and Off.
I assume for "Off" I must turn them off manually or they will stay on?

Also, someone must have changed the default setting for my car because the lights have been staying on for at least 60 seconds. Probably 90.
Thanks for the video. I'll be sure to check out her other ones as well!

Old 03-23-24, 03:06 PM
grp52
Instructor

re: Auto-off timer for lights.
I see there are settings for 90, 60, 30 seconds and Off.
I assume for "Off" I must turn them off manually or they will stay on?
I don't know for sure. I've never tried the Off setting to see what happens with the headlights, either in the AUTO or ON/manual headlight setting, when you shut off the vehicle.

Also, someone must have changed the default setting for my car because the lights have been staying on for at least 60 seconds. Probably 90.
No need to guess about what the delay time option is set to. Got to that settings screen in your ES and look to see which option is set; i.e., radio button in ON state - filled in circle.

Thanks for the video. I'll be sure to check out her other ones as well!
Just keep in mind she is discussing the features of a US sold ES and there's a difference or two from Canadian sold ESs. (A while back there was a thread on a missing Road Sign Assist feature that eventually got figured out as that function doesn't exist on Canadian sold ESs.)
​​​​​​​
NoiseFree (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 03:19 PM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

with off setting, the lights turn off when you open the door. no delay
The following 2 users liked this post by bullnobull:
es250fsport (04-04-24), NoiseFree (03-23-24)
Old 03-23-24, 03:20 PM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

I don't know for sure. I've never tried the Off setting to see what happens with the headlights, either in the AUTO or ON/manual headlight setting, when you shut off the vehicle.

No need to guess about what the delay time option is set to. Got to that settings screen in your ES and look to see which option is set; i.e., radio button in ON state - filled in circle.

Just keep in mind she is discussing the features of a US sold ES and there's a difference or two from Canadian sold ESs. (A while back there was a thread on a missing Road Sign Assist feature that eventually got figured out as that function doesn't exist on Canadian sold ESs.)
​​​​​​​
Old 03-23-24, 03:22 PM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bullnobull
also most car settings are on the right side of the steering wheel. have it anyway you like
Old 03-23-24, 03:43 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by bullnobull
also most car settings are on the right side of the steering wheel. have it anyway you like
Hmm... Are you sure it is the right side of the steering wheel?

On a non F Sport model the Multi Information Display (MID), as well as the associated controls for controlling the MID, are on the left of center side of the steering wheel.
Old 03-23-24, 04:11 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Well I just went for a quick spin and figured out how to turn off the screen. Yippee!
Because I won't be using it 99% of the time.

But for some reason Lexus insists on turning on the screen when the car starts, just so it can flash its
fancy logo and fireworks etc. and then 'remember' that the screen should be off.

There is quite the learning curve to discover all of the features that impact us when driving these cars.
One 'feature' that jumped out at me immediately was the 'GPS clock'.

I will very rarely be using the GPS map in the car. One main reason is that I am sensitive to EMF's and I can feel them
in my head as soon as the GPS is turned on.

So when I read in the manual the clock on the left side of the screen is either running or is set by GPS
I was not a happy camper. Can someone please explain how the clock and GPS interact?
I was lead to believe that the GPS is off and is only on when I turn it on.

Old 03-23-24, 05:53 PM
grp52
Instructor

There is quite the learning curve to discover all of the features that impact us when driving these cars.
One 'feature' that jumped out at me immediately was the 'GPS clock'.

I will very rarely be using the GPS map in the car. One main reason is that I am sensitive to EMF's and I can feel them
in my head as soon as the GPS is turned on.

So when I read in the manual the clock on the left side of the screen is either running or is set by GPS
I was not a happy camper. Can someone please explain how the clock and GPS interact?
I was lead to believe that the GPS is off and is only on when I turn it on.
One of the critical components of information for determining location in each GPS satellite's continuously transmitted signal is the time of transmission of each signal protocol frame's transmission.

The continually operating GPS receiver in your ES decodes all the received GPS transmissions and amongst other functions uses the time of transmission (ToT) to set the analog clock if that option is set as well as all the other digital time displays. (The ToT is UTC so there's a time zone (derived from GPS location) offset applied to arrive at the local time that gets displayed.) (The very small differences between multiple GPS satellites' ToT is of no significance in deriving the time to display on a 1 second based time display.)

In regards to sensing when GPS turns on... It is something other than the GPS signal frequency that you're sensing a "turning on" for because GPS signals from GPS satellites never turn off so there's no turning on of GPS signals.

Last edited by grp52; 03-23-24 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 03-23-24, 06:28 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

One of the critical components of information for determining location in each GPS satellite's continuously transmitted signal is the time of transmission of each signal protocol frame's transmission.

The continually operating GPC receiver in your ES decodes all the received GPS transmissions and amongst other functions uses the time of transmission (ToT) to set the analog clock if that option is set as well as all the other digital time displays. (The ToT is UTC so there's a time zone (derived from GPS location) offset applied to arrive at the local time that gets displayed.) (The very small differences between multiple GPS satellites' ToT is of no significance in deriving the time to display on a 1 second based time display.)

In regards to sensing when GPS turns on... It is something other than the GPS signal frequency that you're sensing a "turning on" for because GPS signals from GPS satellites never turn off so there's no turning on of GPS signals.
Thanks for this info grp.
Let's try to nail this one down.

I asked my dealer for details on the 'shark fin' mounted on the top of my car. I was told that one of its functions (besides being an antenna for the radio) was being a GPS receiver.
I asked him to turn off many 'features' in my car. GPS was one of them.

Can you please tell me where the "continually operating GPC receiver" that you speak of, is located in my car?
Is GPC different from GPS?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Newbie questions...