ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 08:57 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

In 8 years of driving my '13 Luxury I never used anything but Normal (except to testing that the different colored lights on the dash workedm ...)
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '24 Lexus ES350 Luxury
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Old 03-25-24, 10:09 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

I use Sport once in a while, no rhyme or reason as to when or why, but it is really quite lackluster. I came from a 2018 Acura TLX (V6), and the sport mode on that car was pretty aggressive. Switched to Sport-Plus, this thing went like the Tasmanian Devil - super high idle, hair trigger throttle response, it was a beast.
So, yeah, the ES is a lot of terrific things, but exciting to drive isn't one of them, even in Sport Mode. And that's not a complaint whatsoever. I knew what I was getting into when I purchased it.
The following 2 users liked this post by F3Woody:
Eggroll96 (04-19-24), Fsport19 (04-02-24)
Old 03-25-24, 10:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by F3Woody
I use Sport once in a while, no rhyme or reason as to when or why, but it is really quite lackluster. I came from a 2018 Acura TLX (V6), and the sport mode on that car was pretty aggressive. Switched to Sport-Plus, this thing went like the Tasmanian Devil - super high idle, hair trigger throttle response, it was a beast.
So, yeah, the ES is a lot of terrific things, but exciting to drive isn't one of them, even in Sport Mode. And that's not a complaint whatsoever. I knew what I was getting into when I purchased it.
Yeah it's not a race car, but I've found once you're used to SPORT, going back to NORMAL feels like the car can't get out of it's own way. ECO - fuggetaboutit
The following users liked this post:
QualityNut (09-10-24)
Old 03-25-24, 05:14 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

The TLX was far from the performance sedan that Acura advertised, but the difference in modes was pretty significant in comparison to the ES. Came from a 2015 TLX and really enjoyed that car, but the transmission was the Achille's heel of that car, why Acura chose that transmission and advertised it as sporty is beyond me. The ES steering gets tighter, which can be nice, but throttle response has no noticeable difference to me.

Two pretty different cars, but the ES suits my needs now. Miss the TLX some times, but overall the ES has checked all the boxes in the last 2 years.
Jeaco (08-17-24)
Old 03-26-24, 06:24 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
The TLX was far from the performance sedan that Acura advertised, but the difference in modes was pretty significant in comparison to the ES. Came from a 2015 TLX and really enjoyed that car, but the transmission was the Achille's heel of that car, why Acura chose that transmission and advertised it as sporty is beyond me. The ES steering gets tighter, which can be nice, but throttle response has no noticeable difference to me.

Two pretty different cars, but the ES suits my needs now. Miss the TLX some times, but overall the ES has checked all the boxes in the last 2 years.
Interesting that my “Plan B” list includes new Acura TLX (not the S version). If the Gen 8 ES 350 is a big disappointment, I’ll be considering the TLX and the Genesis G80 next time around. Other posters have discouraged G80 for reliability reasons, as well as BMW and Audi. So after those eliminations, if you want a comfortable, reliable, upscale sedan under $60,000 (egads, are we really talking those kind of numbers for a new car these days!), Acura is about all that’s left.
Old 03-26-24, 06:32 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Interesting that my “Plan B” list includes new Acura TLX (not the S version). If the Gen 8 ES 350 is a big disappointment, I’ll be considering the TLX and the Genesis G80 next time around. Other posters have discouraged G80 for reliability reasons, as well as BMW and Audi. So after those eliminations, if you want a comfortable, reliable, upscale sedan under $60,000 (egads, are we really talking those kind of numbers for a new car these days!), Acura is about all that’s left.
If you're ruling out the Type S, sadly you're stuck with the turbo charged 4-banger. The 2021 model redesign eliminated the V6 for all versions except the S. That was the primary reason I moved to Lexus. A lifelong Honda/Acura owner, I wanted to love the new model but the racket that little engine made on my test drive was almost heart breaking.
Old 03-26-24, 06:44 AM
Shaboom
Racer

If you're ruling out the Type S, sadly you're stuck with the turbo charged 4-banger. The 2021 model redesign eliminated the V6 for all versions except the S. That was the primary reason I moved to Lexus. A lifelong Honda/Acura owner, I wanted to love the new model but the racket that little engine made on my test drive was almost heart breaking.
Thanks a million for the heads-up. Then let’s hope the Lexus either surprises us all with a continuation of the 6 cyl. engine ( and makes me a twenty dollar bill in the process), or comes up with a calm and quiet 4 of its own. I’m not at all familiar with the current Lexus ICE 4’s. Are they considered to be more quiet and refined than your description of the Acura 4. The TLX S is just not of the luxurious, comfortable type of car I seek. Genesis 80 fills the bill, if only it were more trouble free. I simply no longer have the energy or desire for squabbles with service managers and Zone representatives as during my younger days!
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaboom:
F3Woody (03-26-24), GS350Miami (03-27-24)
Old 03-26-24, 07:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

The V6 G80 is probably north of $60K - nice car for sure as is the case with most of the Genesis line but their service appears to be horrific.
GS350Miami (03-27-24)
Old 03-26-24, 08:30 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The V6 G80 is probably north of $60K - nice car for sure as is the case with most of the Genesis line but their service appears to be horrific.
Their 2.5 non-hybrid 4 is still in mid-fifties. I’m curious as to how quiet, powerful, etc. that engine is.
True that few service levels match Lexus.
Old 03-26-24, 09:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Their 2.5 non-hybrid 4 is still in mid-fifties. I’m curious as to how quiet, powerful, etc. that engine is.
True that few service levels match Lexus.
If you don't mind a 4 cyl, just wait for the new gen ES I thought your main point was that you wanted to stay with a V6. And your ES is pretty new anyway but you're looking to replace it?
Old 03-26-24, 10:08 AM
Shaboom
Racer

If you don't mind a 4 cyl, just wait for the new gen ES I thought your main point was that you wanted to stay with a V6. And your ES is pretty new anyway but you're looking to replace it?
You are right but if all the ES Gen 8 models are hybrids (like Camry did), then I’m out and will either keep my fine car or check out the Genesis for a non-hybrid 4 cylinders model. Their 6 cylinder model is beyond my budget for a third car! Wife would have my head!
Old 03-26-24, 10:23 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Looking to replace it only to get one of the last Gen 7 Luxury models made, one that will be four years newer and with 20,000 fewer miles (by that time), to be set for the duration.
Old 03-26-24, 11:08 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Looking to replace it only to get one of the last Gen 7 Luxury models made, one that will be four years newer and with 20,000 fewer miles (by that time), to be set for the duration.
Got it - that's a good move. I'd probably do the same but my wife decided she wanted a new one this year so I'll stay in the ES for the long haul now
Old 03-26-24, 11:15 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Got it - that's a good move. I'd probably do the same but my wife decided she wanted a new one this year so I'll stay in the ES for the long haul now
And you, sir, are financially prudent and a good spouse, too!
You’re wise for sticking with your current ES. It very well might end up that way for me, too. And if so, it will be perfectly fine.
Old 03-26-24, 12:21 PM
jkayca
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by velocity12
It seems to me that Sport mode tightens steering a bit. Is it the case or just my imagination. I agree that the cluster is color is cool!
Nope. I feel it too. I have the f sport appearance package.

Quick Reply: Sport mode