ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Next Question: Paddle Shifters Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 05:46 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts
Default Next Question: Paddle Shifters Anyone?

I was surprised our 350 ES (especially not the sporty F) came with paddle shifters. I have no interest in using them. The wonderful Automatic transmission in this car is a joy. Wonder how many owners use the paddle shifters even “sometimes?”
Old 03-24-24, 06:44 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm a bit surprised but probably a feature to appease everyone?

It might be convenient for engine braking on those long downhill mountain passes.
The following 3 users liked this post by ndunn:
es250fsport (04-04-24), Paddler213 (03-24-24), TechNut (03-24-24)
Old 03-24-24, 06:44 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Wish there was a way to totally disable them. My wife accidently pushed it and could not get out of the lower gear not knowing what she did and drove it home that way. Another one of Lexus bright ideas.
Old 03-24-24, 07:38 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
Wish there was a way to totally disable them. My wife accidently pushed it and could not get out of the lower gear not knowing what she did and drove it home that way. Another one of Lexus bright ideas.
User error or ignorance doesn't render a feature undesirable. I use them for engine breaking as above.
The following 4 users liked this post by Paddler213:
ATL350 (04-02-24), Denzlex (04-01-24), es250fsport (04-04-24), FastDawg (03-25-24)
Old 03-24-24, 08:20 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by ndunn
I'm a bit surprised but probably a feature to appease everyone?

It might be convenient for engine braking on those long downhill mountain passes.

Yes, this exactly. Heck, even my hybrid 300h has them so I don’t think the intent was ever “sporty.” I like them for long grades, great for those mountain roads.
Old 03-24-24, 08:20 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddler213
User error or ignorance doesn't render a feature undesirable. I use them for engine breaking as above.
Can’t you downshift with the hand gearshift when going down a mountain instead of using those darn paddle shifters?
I wish they would have avoided the cost of them and made something else (like door protectors or trunk bumper area protector) standard instead.
Old 03-24-24, 08:23 AM
alextv
Instructor

I fully understand every feature of this car as I always read every word of owners manual and for engine breaking I simply tap the break or use gearshift as I always have. As always it is personal preference what one likes to use and everybody is different. If I lived in the mountains or areas with a lot of steep hills I might would try that feature out for engine breaking. For those that want just the basics for driving there should be a way to disable an undesirable feature that might be accidentally activated even if they know how to get out of it.
Old 03-24-24, 08:26 AM
alextv
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Can’t you downshift with the hand gearshift when going down a mountain instead of using those darn paddle shifters?
I wish they would have avoided the cost of them and made something else (like door protectors or trunk bumper area protector) standard instead.
Exactly and agree this is not a sports car
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (04-02-24)
Old 03-24-24, 08:29 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Paddle shifters were developed because one needn't take your hand off the wheel to use them. I believe they were first used in Formula 1. I really like them exactly where they are. In order to downshift in my Expedition I have to take my right hand and eyes off the road to push buttons near the shifter.

If you live in flat country they wouldn't be of much use, but when I leave my house I'm always going up or dwn hill, so I use them routinely.
Old 03-24-24, 09:43 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

The first car I had with pseudo paddle shifters was my 1998 Lexus GS400. The paddles were actually buttons (like Formula 1 cars) on the steering wheel accessed by thumbs in the front or fingers in the back of the wheel. Then I got an ISF and I really started to appreciate paddle shifters, especially for downshifting or holding a gear for extended acceleration events. Although my current ES300h does not provide anything remotely close to exhilirating performance, I do enjoy having the shifters to use when I feel the urge. It was actually a feature I was looking for while searching for a car which ended up being the ES300h. In the ES the shifters can still be used when you car to accelerate quickly by holding a lower gear. They also come in handy in providing a jolt of power to the battery when downshifting. If you become adept at it I believe you can actually maintain a slightly higher charge level on the battery.
Old 03-24-24, 02:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

I was surprised our 350 ES (especially not the sporty F) came with paddle shifters. I have no interest in using them. The wonderful Automatic transmission in this car is a joy. Wonder how many owners use the paddle shifters even “sometimes?”
I use the paddles frequently to downshift on inclines. Very useful instead of pounding the pedal to force a downshift. I'm not sure I'd call the trans in this car "wonderful" but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-25-24, 07:37 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I have an F Sport and used the paddles in the first month after I picked up the car along with the Sports modes just to make sure they worked correctly. I don’t use them much now.
Old 03-25-24, 08:07 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Originally Posted by FastDawg
I have an F Sport and used the paddles in the first month after I picked up the car along with the Sports modes just to make sure they worked correctly. I don’t use them much now.
Doesn't Georgia have fun roads? Deal's Gap, Tail of the Dragon, etc? Seems like you could have some fun in the Blue Ridge mountains with your paddle shifters if you're confined to four wheels.

https://greatmotorcycleroads.com/georgia
Old 03-25-24, 08:53 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

>Tail of the Dragon

Tail of the Dragon, in this car?
Seriously
All u'll do is hold up a mile of cars behind you ...
=============================================================
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

The following 3 users liked this post by pab12:
ATL350 (04-02-24), GS350Miami (04-02-24), KennyFSU (03-25-24)
Old 03-25-24, 08:57 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Originally Posted by pab12
>Tail of the Dragon

Tail of the Dragon, in this car?
Seriously
All u'll do is hold up a mile of cars behind you ...
=============================================================
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Even using the paddle shifters? In an F Sport?

Quick Reply: Next Question: Paddle Shifters Anyone?