ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

My Lexus injured me ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 07:19 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings
Am I the only one that finds rear visibilty poor on the ES350? The reduced height of the rear window makes backing up a chore. I feel like I'm looking thru a peep hole compared to my old Avalon. This is my first car with a rear camera which helps but I wish the rear window was less slanted and taller.
What's not to trust-_soon you won't even need a rear window. Our new RX with pano views and digital rear view mirror practically makes the rear window unnecessary.
Old 03-29-24, 08:16 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

I suppose if an airplane pilot can land a plane blindfolded I shouldn't complain. It was a big shock after driving the '99 Avalon for so long.
Honestly it's one of the only complaints I have so far for this car, and maybe that I wish there was an AC button and CD player

Last edited by hotwings; 03-29-24 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-30-24, 01:33 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by FastDawg
I’ve never been injured by it but it scared the hell out of me the first time I experienced it. I was at a hand car wash and was backing into position for them to dry, vacuum, etc…..my F Sport. There was a guy behind me telling me when to stop backing when the system kicked in. He never knew it activated but I sure did.

Today I explained to my sister how shocking and scary my first experience with it was.
Old 04-03-24, 02:55 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for the late response folks, I guess I didn't subscribe to my own post? I never received notifications of replies to it.
I'll try to catch up now with the questions.

Originally Posted by Shaboom
How did it happen? I want to learn from your mishap so it doesn’t happen to me!
Originally Posted by Shaboom
This system avoided me minor damage to the car and another 2 or 3 times when backing out of mall parking slots, etc.
I’ll never be without it again—-ever. It’s one of the best features of my wonderful car, along with Intuitive Parking Assist that’s also indispensable for me, especially now, in my “declining years.”🥴

Sow how did OP sustain his injuries?
Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Curious how you were injured with a seatbelt on. If the seatbelt did not prevent you contacting any surface in the car then there might be an issue with that system.
Originally Posted by E46CT
He probably caught the edge of his brake pedal twisting his ankle while the car jerked to a stop?
Originally Posted by SonOfABisc
Sometimes we never get the rest of the story. Where's Paul Harvey when you need him?

I'd rather have slightly sore body parts than crumpled sheet metal or damaging another person or their property.
I was in a parking lot at a grocery store. Ironically I backed into my parking spot so I could see clearly who/what was in front of me when driving out.
My spot was the last one in the row, and when I started to make my turn to the left (I was turning in a circle to get to the exit) I saw there probably wasn't quite enough clearance to get by a parked car. So I stopped and was intending to drive back just a foot. I put the car in reverse, and was traveling at around 1 km/hr.

A car was driving past my car, but little did my smart Lexus know that I was intending on backing up just a foot.
I heard some beeps followed by my brakes being activated on their own. When the brake pedal was released it slammed into my foot which was resting on it.
I immediately felt pain in my right ankle and knee. Tomorrow will be a week since the incident occurred. There still is sensitivity in my knee.

For some reason in my 50+ years of driving I managed to avoid backing into anything, and this was WITHOUT a smart car!
The following 2 users liked this post by NoiseFree:
GRYGRDNS (08-02-24), Logicallychallenged (05-21-24)
Old 04-04-24, 06:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Sorry for the late response folks, I guess I didn't subscribe to my own post? I never received notifications of replies to it.
I'll try to catch up now with the questions.

I was in a parking lot at a grocery store. Ironically I backed into my parking spot so I could see clearly who/what was in front of me when driving out.
My spot was the last one in the row, and when I started to make my turn to the left (I was turning in a circle to get to the exit) I saw there probably wasn't quite enough clearance to get by a parked car. So I stopped and was intending to drive back just a foot. I put the car in reverse, and was traveling at around 1 km/hr.

A car was driving past my car, but little did my smart Lexus know that I was intending on backing up just a foot.
I heard some beeps followed by my brakes being activated on their own. When the brake pedal was released it slammed into my foot which was resting on it.
I immediately felt pain in my right ankle and knee. Tomorrow will be a week since the incident occurred. There still is sensitivity in my knee.

For some reason in my 50+ years of driving I managed to avoid backing into anything, and this was WITHOUT a smart car!
Disable the feature if you don't care for it. I know it has saved many of us here from at minimum a fender bender and possibly worse. It's startling no doubt even after experiencing it several times. We've all managed over the years without these safety features but that doesn't make then useless now. Think about how many lives airbags have saved. Yep we all drove cars without them and still here to talk about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
FastDawg (04-04-24), NoiseFree (04-04-24), TechNut (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 09:21 AM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Disable the feature if you don't care for it. I know it has saved many of us here from at minimum a fender bender and possibly worse. It's startling no doubt even after experiencing it several times. We've all managed over the years without these safety features but that doesn't make then useless now. Think about how many lives airbags have saved. Yep we all drove cars without them and still here to talk about it.
Yup, I disabled it as soon as I figured out how to do it.
I expect 'safety features' to keep me safe rather than injure me.
Old 04-04-24, 10:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, I disabled it as soon as I figured out how to do it.
I expect 'safety features' to keep me safe rather than injure me.
Of course we all do but sometimes it's the lesser of two evils. Airbags can cause injuries and save lives at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 10:48 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,932 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Maybe it's just me but emergency braking should be able to happen without jamming the brake pedal into your leg.
The following 3 users liked this post by LeX2K:
GRYGRDNS (08-02-24), NoiseFree (04-04-24), Wilson2000 (06-02-24)
Old 04-04-24, 11:10 AM
eyesurgeon
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread reminds me of why we can't have nice things. You should probably cut off your seatbelt so it doesn't bruise you as it saves your life
mike995134 (05-22-24)
Old 04-04-24, 11:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,932 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by eyesurgeon
This thread reminds me of why we can't have nice things. You should probably cut off your seatbelt so it doesn't bruise you as it saves your life.
False equivalency argument. Not every car jams your leg when emergency braking occurs including one I own (brand doesn't matter).
NoiseFree (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 12:20 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 535 Likes on 375 Posts

Given the circumstances and if you read my post #6 above on the various emergency braking systems, it was the Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) system component of the PKSB (Parking Support Brake) system that determined (from the Owner's Manual's "PKSB (Parking Support Brake)*" section):
... that the possibility of a collision with a detected object or pedestrian is extremely high, the brakes are automatically applied to help avoid the collision or help reduce the impact of the collision.
I've had one or two parking support brake emergency engagements while backing out of a parking spot. God awful sound and abrupt stop but I can't recall any brake pedal slamming upon release of the emergency braking.

While you're the only one there and in a position to know exactly what transpired, perhaps the startle factor along with a reflexive slam the brakes response created a somewhat fuzzed memory of the event where the exact sequence and clarity of distinct actions are blurred together. Slamming on the brakes with your foot in an awkward position could be the source of the ankle injury and slamming your knee on something during your emergency reaction could be a source of your knee injury.
Old 04-04-24, 12:27 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

This reminds me of the safety feature on many cars when using cruise control where it brakes when it senses you closing in on another car. When I first experienced this in my wife's Denali it wasn't fun. I was in cruise and it detected a car on a side street that wasn't moving - I was at an angle - and the Denali suddenly hit the brakes hard. I thought the driver behind me was going to hit me it was so sudden. I read through the manual and found out how to disable that feature.

I do like and use that feature on my F Sport because I can adjust the distance on the steering wheel where it doesn't slow as quickly. It make interstate driving much easier.
Old 04-04-24, 12:39 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 535 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
... Airbags can cause injuries and save lives at the same time.
Airbags can be killer too. I seem to recall news reports of airbags beheading a few people. Kind of a suboptimal feature for a safety device I would think.

Airbags weren't the first expensive, complicated gadget system mandated to prevent the "I won't wear seatbelts" contingent from collecting their Darwin Awards. Remember automatic seatbelts?
NoiseFree (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 01:06 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grp52
Given the circumstances and if you read my post #6 above on the various emergency braking systems, it was the Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) system component of the PKSB (Parking Support Brake) system that determined (from the Owner's Manual's "PKSB (Parking Support Brake)*" section):

I've had one or two parking support brake emergency engagements while backing out of a parking spot. God awful sound and abrupt stop but I can't recall any brake pedal slamming upon release of the emergency braking.
I don't know all the names and which system engaged.
All I know is that some system engaged, slammed on the brakes, and injured me.
I don't care if it is called the 'Magic Braking System' etc.

While you're the only one there and in a position to know exactly what transpired, perhaps the startle factor along with a reflexive slam the brakes response created a somewhat fuzzed memory of the event where the exact sequence and clarity of distinct actions are blurred together. Slamming on the brakes with your foot in an awkward position could be the source of the ankle injury and slamming your knee on something during your emergency reaction could be a source of your knee injury.
Nothing fuzzy here.
I know I didn't slam on the brakes.
The brakes were slammed on by the car and then hit my foot which had been resting on the brakes.

Last edited by NoiseFree; 04-04-24 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-20-24, 08:26 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

A few minutes ago as I was driving into my driveway at home (very dark outside),
I heard a beep and the following message was displayed on the screen above the steering wheel:

"Rear cross traffic alert malfunction
Visit your dealer."

Now this was with my 'Rear cross traffic alert' disabled.
And this is with a car that's just two months old!

Have any of you folks ever seen this message before?

Quick Reply: My Lexus injured me ...