ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

My Lexus injured me ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-24 | 08:04 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hotwings
You are driving about 60 miles a week which should be plenty to keep the battery charged.
The average isn't as important as how long a vehicle sits between outings. If a car sits for weeks without use, it will develop battery issues. Conversely, battery health is optimized with regular use.
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (08-02-24)
Old 08-02-24 | 08:17 AM
justim
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ndunn
My RCTA scares me every time I am backing out to the road. It alerts me to vehicles before I begin to look for them.

Seriously though, as I'm backing out of the garage my ES beeps with proximity warnings like there is no tomorrow. Is there a setting for this?
you can press ok on the steering wheel to temporarily silence it while its beeping
Old 08-02-24 | 09:06 AM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hotwings
If this were true then we would be hearing about such problems when cars sit a couple months on dealer lots. You are driving about 60 miles a week which should be plenty to keep the battery charged.
Car batteries have date codes stamped on them for the date they were made. It would be interesting to see what yours is.
Why didn't the dealer measure the output voltage of the alternator and resting voltage of the battery to back up his claim?
Well just to be clear. I booked a service appointment for next Friday. While I was speaking on the phone to the service manager, he told me the above information.
So they haven't had a chance yet to address the issue.
Old 08-02-24 | 09:22 AM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ndunn
My RCTA scares me every time I am backing out to the road. It alerts me to vehicles before I begin to look for them.

Seriously though, as I'm backing out of the garage my ES beeps with proximity warnings like there is no tomorrow. Is there a setting for this?
Those following my Lexus sagas will know I have many car issues.
Added to all the annoyances are these beeps.

Way back in the old days (like five months ago) when I was still driving my 2007 Lexus if a service warning came up on my steering wheel dashboard (no navigation screen)
that was it. I could read it. It didn't appear and then disappear. It stayed for hours or days/weeks.
There were no beeps in addition to the visual message.

Now with my new Lexus I am treated to startling beeps each time my car wishes to alert me to crucial life-changing information, in addition to the visuals.
And even worse have been the times a woman's voice came on after the beeps to alert me to more nonsense.

Old 08-02-24 | 09:25 AM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
The average isn't as important as how long a vehicle sits between outings. If a car sits for weeks without use, it will develop battery issues. Conversely, battery health is optimized with regular use.
Thanks for this info.
In my case, the longest my car will sit between outings is a couple of days.
Old 08-02-24 | 09:47 AM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by justim
you can press ok on the steering wheel to temporarily silence it while its beeping
Thank you, I did not know that. It is very distracting and so would like to silence it forever but this es better than nothing.
Old 08-02-24 | 01:07 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Thanks for this info.
In my case, the longest my car will sit between outings is a couple of days.
My 2021 Corvette has been on a battery maintainer since the day I bought it. Granted I don’t drive it as much as my Lexus so it sometimes sits for a couple of weeks. I have the battery checked at my annual oil change and it’s in great shape. It costs a bit more than my Lexus.
NoiseFree (08-02-24)
Old 08-02-24 | 01:16 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastDawg
My 2021 Corvette has been on a battery maintainer since the day I bought it. Granted I don’t drive it as much as my Lexus so it sometimes sits for a couple of weeks. I have the battery checked at my annual oil change and it’s in great shape. It costs a bit more than my Lexus.
Thanks, that's fascinating.
I guess if you have to do it, you gotta do it.

But given my circumstances, which haven't changed in 20+ years, it seems totally absurd that a new Lexus (four months old) might need
to have its battery hooked up to life support in order to prevent error messages from coming up for a RTCA function.
Old 08-02-24 | 01:34 PM
ndunn
Pit Crew

But given my circumstances, which haven't changed in 20+ years, it seems totally absurd that a new Lexus (four months old) might need
to have its battery hooked up to life support in order to prevent error messages from coming up for a RTCA function.
If it helps, I have a loaded UL with only 1100 miles since early April. No idiot lights and no low battery after sitting for two weeks. It sure sounds like you have a module or some other excessive drain. Your battery should be under warranty as well as the rest of the car. Good luck!!
The following 2 users liked this post by ndunn:
NoiseFree (08-02-24), Wilson2000 (08-02-24)
Old 08-02-24 | 02:28 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

A bad battery in a new car is not common, but also, not unheard of. If Lexus won't thoroughly test the battery and possible parasitic drain, get a third party to and if there is an issue, ask corporate to get involved, including paying for your third party test.
NoiseFree (08-02-24)
Old 08-02-24 | 04:14 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Those following my Lexus sagas will know I have many car issues.
Added to all the annoyances are these beeps.
I honestly think that at this stage my car is deliberately out to get me.

I often slow down as a car is turning off the road in front of me.
That's what I did today. But I got too close for comfort for my Lexus, so it gave me a warning beep!
I did not need that.

And then when I returned home, parked my car and turned the ignition off it's only natural to open the door to get out, right?
Well that's what I did but this time I got a beep! No there were no obstructions outside my door.
WTF?

First time it happened since I bought my car.
Old 08-03-24 | 10:43 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

To be fair, the C8 Corvettes have the mid-engine so they required a entirely new transmission for that design. If a car battery goes dead, and they can do that with all of the electronics in the C8, you can't start the car. If the battery won't take a charge you can't put the car in neutral if you need it to be towed. It takes a special tool and that tool is expensive. People who have needed to be towed call a tow truck equipped with wheel dollies.
NoiseFree (08-03-24)