ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Purchased 2024 ES 350 and have never owned a smart phone

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 05:06 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Purchased 2024 ES 350 and have never owned a smart phone

Call me naive but I never dreamed I would need a smart phone to use navigation. If I could view my garmin device on the huge screen I would be happy. There isn't space left to set my garmin.

What other features am I missing and is it worth going down the rabbit hole of having a smart phone? We are doomed.

If I link a smart phone to my computer on wheels will that phone be required to open the feature set every time I drive?

What are the minimum requirements for a smart phone and data package to enjoy the missing features?

Thinking this might be the shortest ownership of a vehicle since I traded an oldsmobile back in the 80's. Is anyone interested in a UL loaded with 600 miles. What is this world coming to.
Old 04-15-24, 05:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

This is a joke - right?
Old 04-15-24, 05:27 AM
ndunn
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
This is a joke - right?
I wish it were but what exactly makes you think so, that someone has never owned a smartphone or that one is required to enjoy the features one paid for?

The information I requested is needed to determine if I'll keep the car.
Old 04-15-24, 05:41 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Does your screen come with a navigation? You can use that.You don't need to plug your phone in.
Are you referring to Android auto? In that case, you must have a smart phone.
You don't need to go and get an expensive one. Just get Samsung A series with the latest Android.
(An Android phone with Android 8.0 (Oreo) or higher and an active data plan.)
https://support.google.com/androidau...th-a-usb-cable
It says you need to have active plan but you don't need to.. You can download a preselected area in Google Maps app and can use it offline.
The downside of offline maps is you cannot get realtime traffic information and road hazards/accidents & speed cameras.
I think you would be more safe plugging your phone and placing it somewhere safe while driving.

Old 04-15-24, 05:52 AM
ndunn
Driver

Originally Posted by es250fsport
Does your screen come with a navigation? You can use that.You don't need to plug your phone in.
Are you referring to Android auto? In that case, you must have a smart phone.
You don't need to go and get an expensive one. Just get Samsung A series with the latest Android.
(An Android phone with Android 8.0 (Oreo) or higher and an active data plan.)
https://support.google.com/androidau...th-a-usb-cable
It says you need to have active plan but you don't need to.. You can download a preselected area in Google Maps app and can use it offline.
The downside of offline maps is you cannot get realtime traffic information and road hazards/accidents & speed cameras.
I think you would be more safe plugging your phone and placing it somewhere safe while driving.
It's a 2024 UL and it has navigation. I was told by the techs at the dealership after the purchase that I would need to link a smart phone to use the navigation. Even the tech manager didn't know of a way around it.

So I'm wondering, could I find a cheap data plan for $15 or will the linkage to the auto use a lot of data?
Old 04-15-24, 06:04 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

What happens when you hit the navigation blue arrow button on the LHS of the screen?
Old 04-15-24, 06:23 AM
ndunn
Driver

What happens when you hit the navigation blue arrow button on the LHS of the screen?
I'm in guest mode it requires downloading the Lexus app and reading a type of bar code with the phone to proceed.
The following users liked this post:
es250fsport (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 06:38 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

You can always connect your phone to your house wifi and continue the setup that way without a data plan.
I don't think it needs your phone all the time to be able to use the navigation.
Some features like I said won't be available and requires constant internet connection.
Old 04-15-24, 06:57 AM
ndunn
Driver

You can always connect your phone to your house wifi and continue the setup that way without a data plan.
I don't think it needs your phone all the time to be able to use the navigation.
Some features like I said won't be available and requires constant internet connection.
What year of Lexus are you referring. The new Lexus OS is something that techs at a large Lexus dealership are either feigning ignorance or being coy at not mentioning this before signing the papers at purchase.

I don't have a smart phone and the navigation will not be allowed without physically holding one to the cars display and reading a bar code. I'm open to getting a smart phone if I know more about the minimum requirements. I don't want to assume what I need without verification. That after all is how I purchased a vehicle and cannot use the navigation, I assumed it would be autonomous.

It's not that I'm not capable of understanding tech I retired from a tech laden job. I grew weary of the constant changes which are taking over our lives and require our continual attention which in my opinion should be focused on more important things. I use a flip phone powered down until I need it when traveling but now to enjoy the features of the car that is not enough.
The following users liked this post:
es250fsport (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 07:07 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Use your friend's/significant other's phone then?
If this is just to pass that initial screen, that should be fine. You can always add another smartphone later.
It is really annoying that they are forcing you to use a smartphone to get out of the guest mode.
Old 04-15-24, 07:10 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

When I bought my ’22 ES350 UL the dealership made sure I was aware of the electronic features in my car and helped me set them up/customize them the way I preferred. Indeed, they had a person on staff whose job it was at the dealership to be their tech liaison with customers, helping with set up, being a resource to call with questions, etc. If you just bought a new 2024 you should check to see if your dealership has someone in a similar position. That should be part of proper Lexus delivery and customer satisfaction services, at no additional charge. (Just like the lady who does the videos on You Tube for Northside Lexus in Texas - and those video are a great resource as well).)
The following 2 users liked this post by ATL350:
es250fsport (04-15-24), FastDawg (04-16-24)
Old 04-15-24, 07:12 AM
ndunn
Driver

If this is just to pass that initial screen, that should be fine. You can always add another smartphone later.
It is really annoying that they are forcing you to use a smartphone to get out of the guest mode.
My understanding is that the phone must be present to open your personalized settings which include navigation each time you drive but I'm not certain. Getting ready to contact the mothership and demand some answers.
Old 04-15-24, 07:25 AM
ndunn
Driver

Originally Posted by ATL350
When I bought my ’22 ES350 UL the dealership made sure I was aware of the electronic features in my car and helped me set them up/customize them the way I preferred. Indeed, they had a person on staff whose job it was at the dealership to be their tech liaison with customers, helping with set up, being a resource to call with questions, etc. If you just bought a new 2024 you should check to see if your dealership has someone in a similar position. That should be part of proper Lexus delivery and customer satisfaction services, at no additional charge. (Just like the lady who does the videos on You Tube for Northside Lexus in Texas - and those video are a great resource as well).)
They have techs and even a tech manger who could find no other way around. I was not aware of this until in the car and asked about the nav ready to continue my vacation. Luckily I had my Garmin which I brought in the rental.
Old 04-15-24, 07:51 AM
ndunn
Driver

I just got off the phone with the tech and he has verified that you are correct in saying the phone requirement is only for initial set-up. With out the phone the things that will be remiss are remote start and personalized setting for different drivers which are linked to the individual phones. Not the end of the world, I only have to borrow a phone and then delete the data or they will be getting my updates. Thank you for your kind advice.
The following 3 users liked this post by ndunn:
93SCMax (04-16-24), es250fsport (04-15-24), FastDawg (04-16-24)
Old 04-15-24, 07:57 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ndunn
They have techs and even a tech manger who could find no other way around. I was not aware of this until in the car and asked about the nav ready to continue my vacation. Luckily I had my Garmin which I brought in the rental.
My 2019 ES350 doesn't have this feature/problem. It doesn't need a smartphone to use or initialize.

The ES had a major info system overhaul in 2022(?). However, I don't recall any discussions on this message board about this issue or anything related to it in the last 3 years. Very strange.

You might want to call Lexus corporate and discuss it with them.

Quick Reply: Purchased 2024 ES 350 and have never owned a smart phone