ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Rear view mirror with garage remote programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-24, 04:31 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Rear view mirror with garage remote programming

Mine didn't come with a rear mirror with garage programming remote buttons on the bottom section of the rearview mirror.
Is it possible to get a mirror that has these buttons? What is involved?

Last edited by es250fsport; 04-20-24 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-20-24, 08:23 AM
GabC
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

power. if it has the connection in there then it’ll be plug and play. if not, you’ll have to get power from the camera or map lights.
The following users liked this post:
es250fsport (04-20-24)
Old 04-20-24, 08:44 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

What is the part number?
I think I have seen some ESs came with this mirror.
Mine only has the dimming (no extra buttons).
Old 04-20-24, 01:59 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by es250fsport
Mine didn't come with a rear mirror with garage programming remote buttons on the down section of the rearview mirror.
Is it possible to get a mirror that has these buttons? What is involved?
The Homelink® remote garage door functionality built into US and Canadain sold ESs is NOT a universally adopted quasi worldwide standard for auto to garage door remote operation and control.

Before you go to the trouble and expense of retrofitting your Australian ES with a US (or possibly an European) inside rear view mirror with Homelink® remote garage door functionality you need to verify your Australian sold and installed garage door opener (and/or similar operating type devices you may be trying to remotely operate) have Homelink® compatible functionality and operate using the same frequency band(s) and same security methods as the Homelink® functional rear view mirror item you're thinking of purchasing.

In my searching I saw a hint or two that US/Candian Homelink® remote devices and European Homelink® remote devices use different frequency ranges. Also in my brief searching I couldn't find anything really definitive regarding the Homelink® compatible functionality question for Australian sold devices. I found some hints that an Australian sold brand of openers and remotes might be using US compatible Homelink® technology without using the Homelink® branding name and contrary hints that one or more brands may be using a competing remote control technology that has similar but not interoperable features as Homelink® compatible devices have.

Last edited by grp52; 04-20-24 at 03:42 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
es250fsport (04-20-24)
Old 04-21-24, 01:41 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Thanks for that.
It is possible to convert existing doors to have Homelink®. Tesla already offers this.
https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product...-garage-opener
I don't know if just having the rear view mirror will help though. Where is the antenna for this in the Lexus? Do I need that as well?
Looking at the Teslas, it looks like the antenna for the remote is at the front behind the Tesla logo.
Old 04-21-24, 02:44 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

This is the mirror you need: 87810-0WB90
It’s plug and play.

es250fsport (04-21-24)
Old 04-22-24, 01:57 AM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by es250fsport
Thanks for that.
It is possible to convert existing doors to have Homelink®. Tesla already offers this.
https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product...-garage-opener
I don't know if just having the rear view mirror will help though. Where is the antenna for this in the Lexus? Do I need that as well?
Looking at the Teslas, it looks like the antenna for the remote is at the front behind the Tesla logo.
https://youtu.be/pkj5iXCmW5M?feature=shared&t=223
There's no real operating constraint on the location of the Homelink® antenna on a Tesla. As long as there isn't/wasn't something in the Tesla's structure interfering with the Homelink® transmissions, the Tesla engineers are pretty much free as to where they can place the antenna in their design. Given their design philosophy of using touchscreen controls over physical **** and switches, that allowed them to hide the physical electronics behind the front Tesla emblem.

Toyota/Lexus chose a different approach in their Homelink® implementing design. They integrated the Homelink® electronics, antenna, status displays, and controls into the inside rear view mirror assembly. (It doesn't really take anything special for the antenna - it just a printed wiring trace of appropriate dimensions and layout on the printed circuit board with the other electronic components.)

For those interested in further details, on the back of the (US) Lexus Homelink® rear view mirror assembly there's identifying information molded into the plastic shell. In addition to the Lexus part number ESh has posted you can also find (US) FCC ID: NZLAECHL5 and IC M/N: ECCHLB along with some additional information.

If you search on "FCC ID: NZLAECHL5" you can find a link to Gentex Corporation's initial 2014 filed FCC report on their Gentex Corporation Universal Garage Door Opener AECHL5. At that link you can find design prints for Toyota's 2014 Homelink® rear view mirror assembly along with other documents (e.g., internal images, external images, user manuals, and test results). (If you look at the internal photo documents you can find "Trace Antenna" callouts for where the antenna is located on the PCB.)

Something that may be helpful is the listing of the multiple frequency ranges supported. One of the issues noted for the getting Tesla Homelink® working was that it supported only the 433 MHz frequency which didn't always match up with the frequency/frequencies used by some Homelink® capable garage door openers and other devices. While you still may need some sort of Homelink® adapter device for your garage door opener at least you won't have the Tesla single frequency only issue to deal with.

es250fsport (04-22-24)