ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

1,000 mile oil change observation

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24 | 09:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I know you're just joking, but I always find it interesting when people use that argument/criticism.

They assume the Tesla/EV customer bought the car for the environment. I didn't. I bought it because it's the best car period; Safest (by far), fast (0-60 4.1s) spacious (ev packaging), dynamic (#1 in emergency handling), materials science, security, maintenance, etc etc etc. Any environmental benefits are welcome and icing on the cake.

Now the people that do use the argument that EVs aren't green as criticism, I assume they are tree huggers.

So how about it Mike, are you Mike the Tree Hugger? LOL

By the way it's already been proven and shown that EVs are very low on the pollution totem pole. Again... not why I bought it, but it's icing on the cake.

Electrification is just better (PHEV/HEV/EVs), and EVs just take it to 100% especially when purpose built from the ground up. I'm sure Mike agrees w/ electriciation making a car better, with his new hybrid

Again... i didn't buy my car because of the environment... you can make that argument for EVs. I'm not. I bought it because it's a better car.

But if you are a tree hugger, all the power to you. It's a good benefit to have!!

I was just making the point it's nice to not have to get my hands dirty with oil! =) Anyone who takes their car in for oil change rather than DIY can relate!
Old 05-22-24 | 09:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and by the way any Teslas bought in America are Made in America. In fact they are officially the world record holder for Most American Made Car. Designed, built, engineered, and assembled in the United States with a vast majority of its assemblies and sub-assemblies sourced from North America (which is how they qualify for rebates). So no, Teslas bought here are made here in the US and are not transported via boat.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24 | 10:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
I know you're just joking, but I always find it interesting when people use that argument/criticism.

They assume the Tesla/EV customer bought the car for the environment. I didn't. I bought it because it's the best car period; Safest (by far), fast (0-60 4.1s) spacious (ev packaging), dynamic (#1 in emergency handling), materials science, security, maintenance, etc etc etc. Any environmental benefits are welcome and icing on the cake.

Now the people that do use the argument that EVs aren't green as criticism, I assume they are tree huggers.

So how about it Mike, are you Mike the Tree Hugger? LOL

By the way it's already been proven and shown that EVs are very low on the pollution totem pole. Again... not why I bought it, but it's icing on the cake.

Electrification is just better (PHEV/HEV/EVs), and EVs just take it to 100% especially when purpose built from the ground up. I'm sure Mike agrees w/ electriciation making a car better, with his new hybrid

Again... i didn't buy my car because of the environment... you can make that argument for EVs. I'm not. I bought it because it's a better car.

But if you are a tree hugger, all the power to you. It's a good benefit to have!!

I was just making the point it's nice to not have to get my hands dirty with oil! =) Anyone who takes their car in for oil change rather than DIY can relate!
Nope not me - you know I'm just having fun. What's left in life if we can't have fun? Great you love the Tesla - you're partly responsible for converting me to a hybrid so baby steps
xmlstarks (07-20-24)
Old 05-22-24 | 10:33 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and by the way any Teslas bought in America are Made in America. In fact they are officially the world record holder for Most American Made Car. Designed, built, engineered, and assembled in the United States with a vast majority of its assemblies and sub-assemblies sourced from North America (which is how they qualify for rebates). So no, Teslas bought here are made here in the US and are not transported via boat.
Do you want me to stop having fun?
Old 05-22-24 | 10:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I love fun. I think there's a lot of misinformation on EVs out there though, some of which I believed as well. Big oil/Big Auto is responsible for a lot of it, there was an article the other day showing how the auto industry and gas industry is seeing a significantly reduced demand and there's a large push to put out disinformation against EVs. It's sad that advancement and innovation is being (or attempted to) being stifled because profits and supply chains, old ways, etc are facing a threat.
scubapr (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24 | 10:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
fun as it may be (and it is) and fun to respond , a lot of people believe that stuff... among many other things
scubapr (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24 | 10:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I always tell people if Lexus came out w/ a truly great electric car or at least plug in that wasn't 80k and slow as a pony, I am game. i am not beholden to any brand.

i love the space and safety optimization a true ground-up BEV gives though, so I'd rather not get a plug in.
Old 05-22-24 | 11:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

fun as it may be (and it is) and fun to respond , a lot of people believe that stuff... among many other things
Well as far as the actual carbon footprint is concerned, most of us are not smart enough to fully understand the real data - what it takes to mine the material for the batteries etc. I won't open up that can of worms but what I do know is it's not that simple that electricity is free and grows on trees so trash your ICE vehicle for an EV! I'm quite happy with the RX hybrid that is averaging 38 mpg during the first 2,500 miles. Planning to drive it NJ - FL in the next few months so curious how it will do on long highway cruises.
scubapr (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24 | 11:21 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

...I bought it because it's the best car period; Safest (by far), fast (0-60 4.1s) spacious (ev packaging), dynamic (#1 in emergency handling), materials science, security, maintenance, etc etc etc. Any environmental benefits are welcome and icing on the cake.
I have nothing against Teslas or any EV for that matter. I honestly think they are the future as EV > PHEV > Hybrid > Gas. I was even considering a Model 3 Performance before the various price increase of last year.

But saying "it's the best car period" I'm not so sure (with all due respect). I'll give 100% they are definitely performance units; even Ferrari's and Lambo's ($$$) are having hard time keeping up on drag strip. 70% on maintenance, as apparently they burn costly tires very quickly compared to non EV's. Materials science? On the environmental front there's more than just the low CO pollution. We are starting to see the possible consequences to the environment of lithium batteries disposal for EV's and Hybrids (even solar panels now); but that could be another 100 pages of threads entirely and could incite a tree hugger mob.

In my specific case, my major concern was:
  1. no spare tire (no OEM option either), and aftermarket take a lot of trunk space.
  2. range anxiety. I don't have solar and my location has high power cost and frequent power outages.
  3. all is controlled by ONE screen; that can go bad.
  4. and finally the quality (motors, batteries, etc) when looking many people reporting them on forums.
I have local friends that have Teslas and are somewhat very satisfied, but two of them have already replaced motor, screen and battery under warranty. For me that's worrisome for such a small sample.

I do love their SALES model as I hate to bargain and dealer markups; no fuss there. I wish other brands did the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by scubapr:
LexFinally (05-23-24), xmlstarks (07-20-24)
Old 05-22-24 | 11:27 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

I love fun. I think there's a lot of misinformation on EVs out there though, some of which I believed as well. Big oil/Big Auto is responsible for a lot of it, there was an article the other day showing how the auto industry and gas industry is seeing a significantly reduced demand and there's a large push to put out disinformation against EVs. It's sad that advancement and innovation is being (or attempted to) being stifled because profits and supply chains, old ways, etc are facing a threat.
No cons. theory; 100% true. Consumption at gas stations has been reduced since the proliferation of Hybrids / EV's (at least in my area).
Old 05-22-24 | 11:53 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Why hijack thread about oil with Teslas?
The following 6 users liked this post by tolian21:
93SCMax (05-23-24), es250fsport (05-22-24), LexFinally (05-23-24), rVague (05-26-24), scubapr (05-22-24), TerryNVA (05-22-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-22-24 | 05:49 PM
Red112fl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pierregirard
Your choice to change the oil every 5,000 miles, even though Lexus says 10,000 miles is okay, shows you prefer a more cautious approach to maintenance.
Thank you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Red112fl:
LexFinally (05-23-24), scubapr (05-23-24), TerryNVA (05-22-24)
Old 05-23-24 | 05:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Red112fl
Thank you.
Thank goodness you received approval
Old 05-23-24 | 07:40 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Red112fl
Thank you.
All smartassery from other posters aside, I not only appreciate courtesy in a poster, but I commend you for recognizing that the Lexus service schedule specifically calls for shortening the oil change interval to 5,000 in "severe service" — which doesn't just mean mountain rallies, but simple stop-and-go and frequent short trips. You're doing the right thing, in my opinion and probably in Lexus's.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexFinally:
es250fsport (05-23-24), scubapr (05-23-24), xmlstarks (07-20-24)
Old 05-23-24 | 12:08 PM
july1988
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexFinally
All smartassery from other posters aside, I not only appreciate courtesy in a poster, but I commend you for recognizing that the Lexus service schedule specifically calls for shortening the oil change interval to 5,000 in "severe service" — which doesn't just mean mountain rallies, but simple stop-and-go and frequent short trips. You're doing the right thing, in my opinion and probably in Lexus's.
But but OP still insisting on bringing his brand new ES to Walmart for services

Quick Reply: 1,000 mile oil change observation