ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Did Performance Dampers get deleted from '24 L & UL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-24 | 03:30 PM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Default Did Performance Dampers get deleted from '24 L & UL?

I just went to Lexus dotcom to look up a detail for another thread. I noticed something interesting: On both the hybrid and the ES 350, performance dampers are listed under "Chassis/Rear Suspension" for F Sport Handling models, but no longer for Luxury or Ultra Luxury with either powertrain.

I wonder if Lexus quietly yanked them from this soon-discontinued model in one of those cost-saving moves that escapes press and public notice. I know some have questioned their benefits, but I have to think that a company with a billion-dollar test track and a history of using this option on other models was able to test them and determine they brought something to the party, before deciding to add them to the top ES models in 2019, as they'd already done with some of their costliest cars. If they are gone, I think it's a bit of a bummer.
Old 06-03-24 | 06:21 PM
Panther61
4th Gear

I also noticed some inconsistencies in their listings for the dampers on various websites and would be interested in learning the latest as well?
Old 06-03-24 | 06:33 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

This is strange. On the Lexus trim comparison page it shows performance dampers on the Ultra Luxury 300h and not the Luxury 300h. However both the Luxury and Ultra Luxury have performance dampers showing for the 350. When I checked the same thing in March, performance dampers were listed for the Luxury 300h. Maybe Lexus has a glitch in its code giving inconsistent results?
Old 06-04-24 | 05:45 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally
I just went to Lexus dotcom to look up a detail for another thread. I noticed something interesting: On both the hybrid and the ES 350, performance dampers are listed under "Chassis/Rear Suspension" for F Sport Handling models, but no longer for Luxury or Ultra Luxury with either powertrain.

I wonder if Lexus quietly yanked them from this soon-discontinued model in one of those cost-saving moves that escapes press and public notice. I know some have questioned their benefits, but I have to think that a company with a billion-dollar test track and a history of using this option on other models was able to test them and determine they brought something to the party, before deciding to add them to the top ES models in 2019, as they'd already done with some of their costliest cars. If they are gone, I think it's a bit of a bummer.
I remember a few years ago when they pulled that stunt with, a couple of other features during the pandemic. I can't recall exactly which features. They listed them as available but they weren't installed, if memory serves. However, I wouldn’t bet the farm on that. My ES examples are actual inventory vehicles, so they should be accurate. The 350 Ultra Lux, 350 Lux., and 300 Ultra Lux. have dampers, but the 300 Lux does not.

24 Hybrid Luxury. No dampers. 24 Hybrid Ultra Luxury. Does have them

them.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 06-07-24 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-04-24 | 05:18 PM
Mooseisloose
Rookie

Anyone notice any improvement compared to an ES350 without performance dampers?
Old 06-04-24 | 06:48 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

The evidence seems to point to the deletion of performance dampers to some extent for the 2024 ES Luxury. The brochure for the 2023 model year lists performance dampers as a feature for the Luxury. The 2024 version lists performance dampers only for the Ultra Luxury. As far as I can tell neither version distinguishes the 350 from the 300h with regard to that feature. Maybe UltraLux22's information is more accurate since it is more specific, only the 300h lacks dampers.

Last edited by Myshkyn; 06-04-24 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-05-24 | 12:34 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mooseisloose
Anyone notice any improvement compared to an ES350 without performance dampers?

I did not have a chance to drive them both but I don't think any driver would be able to notice any difference.
The following users liked this post:
Denzlex (06-05-24)
Old 06-05-24 | 06:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ESh
I did not have a chance to drive them both but I don't think any driver would be able to notice any difference.
Exactly why I opted for an FSport without them back in 2019. I'd prefer to avoid the cost of replacement when the time comes.
Old 06-05-24 | 08:39 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Sorry to hijack! But any idea if this can be added to any trim (ie: 23' 300h Luxury)? Part number?

I'm not sure if mine has it or not; but will like to know if possible in case not. Thanks!
Old 06-05-24 | 10:44 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

It possible but the dampers and brackets cost more than 2 grand.
Old 06-05-24 | 08:41 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexFinally

They don't always make it easy to find things, but hopefully, this will clarify what's going on with those Damn Dampers! But first!

After my extended absence, I come bearing jokes. Feel free to heckle – what else can you do? HA!

Lexus ES Dampers: So Exclusive, They're Not Even Invited to the Base Model Party!

Lexus ES Dampers: So Exclusive, They're Like the VIP Section of Your Suspension. (No Base Models Allowed!) Another? Ok!

Lexus ES Dampers: They're like the VIPs of the ES lineup—so exclusive that they don't even mingle with the base models. One more??? OK, you twisted my arm!

Lexus ES Dampers: They're so smooth that even your coffee won't spill—unless you're in the base model. Another? Ok!

Another one?? ok but last one! Lexus ES Dampers: They're the velvet rope to the VIP section of your suspension... sorry base models, but your name's not on the list.

I'm done now. You're welcome!

2024 Model/Trim(s) with Performance Dampers:

ES 350/250 Luxury, Ultra Luxury, F Sport Handling
ES 300h Ultra Luxury, F Sport Handling
Excluded Trims: All ES Base trim, the Design variant of the F Sport trim (regardless of engine), and the 300h Luxury

⬆️ Performance dampers are listed in the Feature column/Performance section for those trims of ES that are so equipped. The 300 Luxury is excluded in 2024. ⬆️

⬆️ In this section, performance dampers for the F Sport (trim) Handling (variant) are listed under the Specs column/Chassis section. The 350/300 F Sport Handling is the only ES trim ⬆️
with performance dampers listed under two different sections, Specs/Chassis and Features/Performance, and listed as installed on both the front and rear suspension.

⬆️ 2022 ES trims with performance dampers as standard equipment. The 300 Luxury was included. ⬆️

Last edited by UltraLux22; 06-05-24 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-06-24 | 04:46 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

@UltraLux22 Do you have the same chart for 2023? I did a Google search but couldn't find it. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-06-24 | 02:55 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Panther61
I also noticed some inconsistencies in their listings for the dampers on various websites and would be interested in learning the latest as well?
Trying to find out if your ES has performance dampers or any of the more obscure options/features can be like trying to find "The Office" at the Lamplight Lounge – surprisingly elusive. Even the Monroney sticker, the official rundown of a car's features, doesn't have them listed, at least from the last few years I've looked. My 22 window sticker didn't list them on my UL. But with a bit of persistence and the right questions, you can usually uncover the truth. After all, shouldn't upgrades that enhance performance be something to brag about, not bury in the fine print? You could always just ask; someone is likely to know, or at the very least, think they know!
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (06-06-24)
Old 06-06-24 | 03:30 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by scubapr
@UltraLux22 Do you have the same chart for 2023? I did a Google search but couldn't find it. Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately, I can't do that because it's an overlay for ES builds. I had an archive of the 2022 builds but while creating the attachment chart for this post, it got corrupted and now won't display 2022. However, I can offer you something even better!

Originally Posted by scubapr
Sorry to hijack! But any idea if this can be added to any trim (ie: 23' 300h Luxury)? Part number?
I'm not sure if mine has it or not; but will like to know if possible in case not. Thanks!
It might just be Christmas because I'm about to give you a present!

Now this isn't a fantasy movie but you will have to "Follow the Yellow Brick Line!"

Old 06-06-24 | 04:04 PM
scubapr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
It might just be Christmas because I'm about to give you a present!

Now this isn't a fantasy movie but you will have to "Follow the Yellow Brick Line!"
Thank you very much! Now I'll have to visually inspect if they are really installed on my car.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't; as I have seen F-Sport trims at my dealer without Tri-LED, Steering F-Badge, F-Sport seats, and no chrome pedals.

Edit: Maybe some dealers ordering page have the ability to add or remove some parts to adjust cost $.

Last edited by scubapr; 06-06-24 at 04:09 PM. Reason: edit note

Quick Reply: Did Performance Dampers get deleted from '24 L & UL?