ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Hitting Knee/Shin upon entry

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-24 | 06:34 AM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

I'm a little over 6 feet with long legs. I've used the bostonsnow method for decades and never have had a problem with knees making contact on the entry. It might not be for everybody, but it works for me.
Old 06-07-24 | 06:56 AM
ATL350
Advanced

I’ve never hit my leg on entry (22 ES350 UL), but I do frequently thunk into the side bolster, which I think is just too damn big, a problem I haven’t had in any other car, I’m not a particularly big guy and maybe it’s the way I enter this car, but the modern “need" to have intrusive and “aggressive” bolster to hold me in my seat during all of my high speed curvy roady driving, you know, just like the automotive press writers think we do every day is ridiculous.
Old 06-07-24 | 08:55 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

For the first time, in my life I was analyzing how do I enter my car.

I stand almost parallel to the door pillar and then extend my right leg full straight (180) into the middle/rear of the floor mat; then I bend my knees to slide into sit. I do have the easy exit/entry; but regardless I have entered with that feature off and never have hit the dash edge. Although 50yr old, I'm very athletic with strong legs and don't have any knee problems (only back). Maybe that's why I have never had the OP issue.

I did try the OP method/picture and definitely my knee hit that edge. No way I could enter that way regardless of easy exit/entry mode.

Anyway, maybe OP should start thinking about switching car. He could get a knee injury if hitting hard enough. IMHO a car should work for you no the other way around.

Last edited by scubapr; 06-07-24 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-07-24 | 08:58 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ATL350
I’ve never hit my leg on entry (22 ES350 UL), but I do frequently thunk into the side bolster, which I think is just too damn big, a problem I haven’t had in any other car, I’m not a particularly big guy and maybe it’s the way I enter this car, but the modern “need" to have intrusive and “aggressive” bolster to hold me in my seat during all of my high speed curvy roady driving, you know, just like the automotive press writers think we do every day is ridiculous.
Do you have the easy entry/exit mode active? Perhaps you could benefit from that on "full" mode.
Old 06-07-24 | 09:52 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by DanDMan7

Is it me, or other 7th gen Lexus ES300/350 and Camry owners experience the same? 6 times out of 10 when I enter my ES300h '22 vehicle on the driver side, I end up hitting my knee or shin to the dash edge near the door. It is annoying and sometimes somewhat painful. If this is a bad design and enough people are experiencing it, Lexus should know about it and remedy it in their future revisions.
You don't need any other advice. I've got the solution, and it's a fun one. Ready? Ok, here goes.

(Verse 1)
You put your right leg in,
You take your right leg out,
You swing it round and round,
And try not to shout, "Ouch!"

(Chorus)
You do the car seat shuffle,
And you turn yourself around,
That's what it's all about!

(Verse 2)
You put your left leg in,
You take your left leg out,
You twist and turn and bend,
And hope you don't fall out!

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
You grab the door and pull,
You push with all your might,
You finally get yourself out,
And say, "What a fight!"

(Chorus)

If nothing else, humming the tune will distract from the pain!

I will be expecting royalties!
The following users liked this post:
gcvt (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24 | 09:53 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scubapr
For the first time, in my life I was analyzing how do I enter my car.

I stand almost parallel to the door pillar and then extend my right leg full straight (180) into the middle/rear of the floor mat; then I bend my knees to slide into sit. I do have the easy exit/entry; but regardless I have entered with that feature off and never have hit the dash edge. Although 50yr old, I'm very athletic with strong legs and don't have any knee problems (only back). Maybe that's why I have never had the OP issue.

I did try the OP method/picture and definitely my knee hit that edge. No way I could enter that way regardless of easy exit/entry mode.

Anyway, maybe OP should start thinking about switching car. He could get a knee injury if hitting hard enough. IMHO a car should work for you no the other way around.
I agree with this. My right leg is fairly straight as I get in. Then I sit and draw my left leg in. Usually. I have bumped my knee before but didn’t really spend any time analyzing why it happened. Just based on 45+ years of driving/conditioning, this is how I normally enter a vehicle. I had to think about this for a bit as it is just so rote for me. I am also 5’8” for what it’s worth. I think this post really stated what would be the bottom line for me too: the car should work for you, not the other way around!
scubapr (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24 | 09:58 AM
FastDawg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
another idea - looks like you are entering with your foot going in first, then leg and hips/butt later.

if you have enough room to open the door wider, you can turn sideways to the car, put butt down on the seat first, then swing the legs in after that. that way have sat down first, your knee will be in a lower position when you rotate your legs in.
This is exactly how I get in my both of my cars. Both have the easy exit feature and I use it. If you are worried about bolster wear you can actually get in without touching the side bolster and minimally touching the seat bolster.
scubapr (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24 | 04:22 PM
ATL350
Advanced

Originally Posted by scubapr
Do you have the easy entry/exit mode active? Perhaps you could benefit from that on "full" mode.

I do, but, having tried it out when I first got the car, I didn’t like it as the seat was too low and far back so I felt like I just fell into it. I also didn’t like getting out from that position. But that’s just me.
scubapr (06-07-24)
Old 06-09-24 | 09:26 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Lexus's puddle lights are so pretentious they practically whisper, "Darling, you've arrived." That's okay, though; I've got 'em, too!

Originally Posted by DanDMan7

Is it me, or other 7th gen Lexus ES300/350 and Camry owners experience the same? 6 times out of 10 when I enter my ES300h '22 vehicle on the driver side, I end up hitting my knee or shin to the dash edge near the door. It is annoying and sometimes somewhat painful. If this is a bad design and enough people are experiencing it, Lexus should know about it and remedy it in their future revisions.
Old 06-11-24 | 05:25 PM
DanDMan7
4th Gear

Originally Posted by newgsman
It seems you enter the vehicle with your leg almost perendicular (90 degrees) to the floor which puts your knee very close to the dash. I always get in with my leg extend out so it is more flat and at an angle approaching being parallel to the floor. This way my knee stays low and never gets close to the dash. As I am getting in I put my right foot close to the foot rest at the firewall and at the same time I grab the steering wheel and pull myself into the car. By grabbing the steering wheel, I also prevent my back from rubbing against the side bolster of the seat. With this method I also minimize wear on the side bolster. In previous cars I have had premature wear on the the seat side bolster which for me is not a good look. Hopefully I save my seat and knee at the same time.
Thank you all.
Newgsman, you are on the money. I also did some variations on the way I enter the car and putting my right foot further inside (toward the center) and in an angle makes the problem go away. But muscle memory retraining may take some time. Especially when I am in a hurry, which is when I hit my knee to the dash most. Lol
Altogether as someone else said, it's a first world problem, or annoyance as I originally characterized it. And better yet it doesn't seem to be a common problem, at least with the members of this forum.
scubapr (06-11-24)