ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-24, 05:38 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Hard to tell what's the truth. I suspect the Sales Team is last to really know.
I'll trust 99.999% more the members of this forum than a dealer sales rep. I remember back in 2019 the sales rep tell my DW that the infotainment for the RAV4 Adventure was 100% ready to receive an update the Android Auto capability update by the next 1-2 month as confirmed by Toyota. We're still waiting!

Fortunately, sedan sales are very slow movers for the dealer compared to SUV's. You could probably have a waiting leverage there without necessarily loose your specific target unit. Also it's the beginning of the month so sales rep still have time to make their sales quota. Usually near month's end, if quota's not meet, they will be more willing to offer better incentives / discounts. Finally, don't fall for the "another customer is also looking into that unit" as there's only a 0.1% chance it's true (ask me how I know ).

You could also be honest with the sales rep and tell a price/discount that you think will be "fair" to close the deal. In the end, if you really want that unit; and are comfortable with the current deal, go for it. The 2024 will probably be the end of the 7gen, so you are getting a proven ironed out model.

Edit: Does the Luxury model have the optional 360 panoramic view, 12" screen, ML Sound system, triple beam headlamps? That could be over $3-5k in options.

Last edited by scubapr; 06-08-24 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Edit note
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 06:16 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

I can’t believe they’re still trying to push the nitrogen scam in the tires. You don’t need it, it’s a total waste and impossible to tell if that’s what they even did anyway. They just won’t give up on trying to get by with these types of things.
Old 06-08-24, 06:31 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I think the market for sedans is not hot hence I personally think any dealer additional markup (Dealer fee) is too much. Dealers make money on the sale of the car.

As for the "Fast charge cable" It is only a USB-C cable that you buy from Amazon for less than $10. I would not waste my money. When it comes to infotainment and high tech features such as chargers, wireless chargers etc., car makers are few years behind what the actual market is doing.

If they were selling cars like old days without any radio and we could add our own I would have loved it since than I could actually buy the latest technology. Sorry, off topic...
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
bc6152 (06-08-24), scubapr (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 06:45 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
As for the "Fast charge cable" It is only a USB-C cable that you buy from Amazon for less than $10. I would not waste my money. When it comes to infotainment and high tech features such as chargers, wireless chargers etc., car makers are few years behind what the actual market is doing.
+1 OP, You'll be paying a premium for the Lexus name case. You could get that cable set for 50% less online. Even OEM Bell Lexus have it for $66.00. Just in case, what's included:
  • USB-A to Lightning
  • USB-A to USB-C
  • USB-C to USB-C
  • USB-C to Lightning
Edit: Part no. PT97648230

Last edited by scubapr; 06-08-24 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Edit note
93SCMax (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 07:07 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I would never pay for nitrogen
The Nitrogen fee really set me off when I was purchasing my car. I asked the saleswoman why should I pay for a useless product that I could get for free at Costco? She removed the charge.

Do dealers ACTUALLY deflate factory tires and replace with nitrogen or do they just replace the black valve stem caps with green ones? It would be interesting to test the air from a few dealer lots.

Last edited by hotwings; 06-08-24 at 07:13 AM.
scubapr (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 07:28 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Nitrogen filled tires is simply a money grab and useless. The air you're currently breathing is 78% nitrogen. These dealers will try anything to screw the buyers.
Old 06-08-24, 07:29 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
...Fortunately, sedan sales are very slow movers for the dealer compared to SUV's...

Edit: Does the Luxury model have the optional 360 panoramic view, 12" screen, ML Sound system, triple beam headlamps? That could be over $3-5k in options.
This Luxury model has the 360 panoramic view and 12" screen. I haven't found a Luxury model with the triple beam headlight...they may be out there. Not really interested in dropping $1080 for ML. I'm also eying an Ultra Luxury that has all of these features but I hate paying extra for the ML. The Ultra Luxury is the color my wife prefers so I may see what kind of a deal I can get on that one.

I also agree that sedans aren't the fast movers these days. Inventory is up compared to earlier in the year. I'll go back with my wife and see if she has a preference on the interiors.

Keep the advice coming, it's a great help.

Last edited by 93SCMax; 06-09-24 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-08-24, 07:35 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

I put blue valve stem caps on my ES350 and tell people I got "premium air."
The following 3 users liked this post by tfischer:
FastDawg (06-08-24), hotwings (06-08-24), mike995134 (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 07:52 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Nitrogen filled tires is simply a money grab and useless. The air you're currently breathing is 78% nitrogen. These dealers will try anything to screw the buyers.

Nitrogen is a very good thing especially if you have NR wheels.
Old 06-08-24, 08:09 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

This Luxury model has the 360 panoramic view and 12" screen. I haven't found a Luxury model with the triple beam headlight...they may be out there. Not really interested in dropping $1080 for ML. I'm also eying an Ultra Luxury that has all of these features but I hate paying extra for the ML. The Ultra Luxury is the color my wife prefers so I may see what kind of a deal I can get on that on.

I also agree that sedans aren't the fast movers these days. Inventory is up compared to earlier in the year. I'll go back with my wife and see if she has a preference on the interiors.

Keep the advice coming, it's a great help.
Agree, the base sound system is very good. The difference in ML sound will make sense if you are somewhat of an Audiophile and plan to play hi-resolution media (FLACs or MP3's 320+, or Hi-Res Streaming) as I do. If not, definitely save the $1k. Same with Triple beam headlight. I personally like the tri-led look much better; but performance wise is a diminishing return option. Just know, there's no way to upgrade on any of those features latter on (different wiring / ECU programming).

IMHO, the 360 panoramic view is a very useful feature and very well worth it; same with the 12" screen. One last feature that came with my Lux trim that I didn't care at first but now I'll not have another car without it, is the "Trunk open/close kick sensor". Wow, no more fumbling with the key fob when having both hands occupied. Finally, (many people doesn't like it) but I love that my trim came with the "credit card" like Key Card. Now my 2 key fobs are at home and I only have the key card in my wallet for keyless entry/start.

Edit: One thing the UL has that my Lux trim did not, is the noise reduction wheels. They do work as intended on some harsh roads. That's something that can be added latter on, but it's almost $1.5-2k. So if the price difference of UL is less than $4k compared to LUX and you have the money, it could make sense to have the upper trim.

Good luck!

Last edited by scubapr; 06-08-24 at 08:17 AM.
Panther61 (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 08:13 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Are they no longer offering the finance discount, $1500?

Don't be afraid to ask for a bigger discount. I was pleasantly surprised to get more than double what they offered at first and with no add-ons. Shop around all they can say is no and all you have to do is reply, bye.
The following 2 users liked this post by ndunn:
93SCMax (06-08-24), bc6152 (06-08-24)
Old 06-08-24, 03:08 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings
The Nitrogen fee really set me off when I was purchasing my car. I asked the saleswoman why should I pay for a useless product that I could get for free at Costco? She removed the charge.

Do dealers ACTUALLY deflate factory tires and replace with nitrogen or do they just replace the black valve stem caps with green ones? It would be interesting to test the air from a few dealer lots.
Our RXh built in Canada came with Nitro and green caps but I didn't pay extra. I believe the tires really came with that fill since the psi doesn't seem to fluctuate especially on cold nights. But I agree I would never ever pay for that.
Old 06-08-24, 04:00 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Our RXh built in Canada came with Nitro and green caps but I didn't pay extra. I believe the tires really came with that fill since the psi doesn't seem to fluctuate especially on cold nights. But I agree I would never ever pay for that.
Those pesky dealer fees are enough to drive me crazy. I like to think I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday

Last edited by hotwings; 06-08-24 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-09-24, 10:02 AM
Paddler213
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

About ready to buy a 2024 ES300h Luxury. Dealer offered a 5.3% discount, which included $997 in dealer add-ons (window tint, nitrogen in tires, door edge guards). They then added $500 IMF (SC sales tax?), $55 tag fee and $799 Dealer closing fee. This doesn't include paying the local personal property tax. The dealer closing fee seems high as there will be no financing, its strictly a cash purchase. Should I question the dealer closing fee or ask for a higher discount? I've heard of 7 to 9% discounts late in the model year. Car has most of what I want. I'll need to add a fast charging cord and will look into the dash cam.

Any input regarding purchase would be welcome. Thanks.
You should tell the sales guy to please remove the window tint, door edge guards and fill your tires with air, which is 79% nitrogen anyway. There should be no "Dealer Closing Fee", as closing is included in the MSRP. You might explain to them that MSRP means "Manufactureres Suggested Retail Price".

Isn't fast charging hard on cell phone batteries? You can buy a PD cord for ~$10.

Last edited by Paddler213; 06-09-24 at 10:10 AM.
bc6152 (06-13-24)
Old 06-09-24, 10:16 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 331 Posts

They mostly all do that “Dealer Closing Fee” BS of $700 to over $1,000. One Lexus guy in Miami advertises no dealer closing fee JM or JD Lexus. But it’s all in the bottom line OTD price anyway, whatever they call its components.

Quick Reply: Purchase advice