ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-24, 09:07 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Purchase advice

About ready to buy a 2024 ES300h Luxury. Dealer offered a 5.3% discount, which included $997 in dealer add-ons (window tint, nitrogen in tires, door edge guards). They then added $500 IMF (SC sales tax?), $55 tag fee and $799 Dealer closing fee. This doesn't include paying the local personal property tax. The dealer closing fee seems high as there will be no financing, its strictly a cash purchase. Should I question the dealer closing fee or ask for a higher discount? I've heard of 7 to 9% discounts late in the model year. Car has most of what I want. I'll need to add a fast charging cord and will look into the dash cam.

Any input regarding purchase would be welcome. Thanks.

Popular Reply

06-18-24, 01:35 PM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Just wanted to share an update concerning my journey towards purchasing a Lexus ES300h. With the advice shared in this thread, I finally pulled the trigger and have reserved a 2024 Luxury model. I had to jump to another dealer who wasn't very close, but who gave me a good discount, and eliminated all of the dealer add-on costs to make the sale possible. I'll pick-up my car next week and also get to visit a friend of 50 years. Car is a Luxury model with Technology package (including SmartAccess card key), preferred accessory package, Panoramic View Monitor, NR wheels, Power trunk, and premium paint (Eminent White Pearl). I love that I'm not paying for any dealer add-ons and am only getting stuck with a Dealer Admin fee. The only thing I'm a little annoyed at is the tires are Bridgestone and not Michelin. Pretty happy otherwise.

I was ready to buy an UL for over $3100 above this purchase, and decided we really didn't need the ML stereo and triple beam lights...plus dealer add-ons.

Having been a member of the GS350 forums for a while, I'm looking forward to spending more time here with my new ride.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-07-24, 09:13 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
About ready to buy a 2024 ES300h Luxury. Dealer offered a 5.3% discount, which included $997 in dealer add-ons (window tint, nitrogen in tires, door edge guards). They then added $500 IMF (SC sales tax?), $55 tag fee and $799 Dealer closing fee. This doesn't include paying the local personal property tax. The dealer closing fee seems high as there will be no financing, its strictly a cash purchase. Should I question the dealer closing fee or ask for a higher discount? I've heard of 7 to 9% discounts late in the model year. Car has most of what I want. I'll need to add a fast charging cord and will look into the dash cam.

I’ve seen dealer closing fees higher than that.
If you wait until new gen model is unveiled, you might get better discount but not necessarily the exact car you want.
There may be some room to negotiate further on the price of those dealer add-ons. High mark-up built into those.
All in all, deal seems reasonable if that’s the car you really want. Personally, I’m waiting to see what the Gen 8 looks like before I pull the trigger on a new Lexus to replace my 2021.
The following users liked this post:
93SCMax (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 09:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Try for a bigger discount - they may say we can't stretch further on a hybrid. In any event, I'm certain you can knock out the $997 in add ons - no way you want to pay for nitro.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
93SCMax (06-07-24), esotof (06-09-24), FastDawg (06-08-24)
Old 06-07-24, 09:31 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts

Could you try to see if a financing option even with a high APR get you more discounts or freebies? Sometimes dealers get a % cut from the bank on financing and they will be more willing to add another incentives. Just make sure the finance institution does not have early payout penalties. Since you have the cash, you could payoff the loan during the first month.

Car has most of what I want. I'll need to add a fast charging cord....
Confused about that. The 300h is Gas-Hybrid not a Plug-in-Hybrid (PHEV). There's no charging port.
Old 06-07-24, 09:44 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the discount is actually 7.2% but then they charge you for the dealer add-ons and it drops to 5.3%. I would never pay for nitrogen, and my past experience with dealer added window tint isn't positive. I think there is more on the table since this price/discount was my 1st discussion.

@subapr The fast charging cord is the $85 "Lexus Quick Charge cables, for your phone...a dealer accessory.
Old 06-07-24, 10:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I've never heard of the "dealer closing fee". This sounds like it's similar to the $500.00 document fee they try to foist on you. I'd say "no I'm not paying that"... When I bought my car they tried the document fee on me and I refused to pay it so they took it off elsewhere. Can the nitro, tinted windows, charging cable, and edge guards unless you actually want them. And finally, WTH is an "IMF charge". Sounds like something out of a Tom Cruise movie... (Impossible Mission Force) Then ask the salesperson if they give you a free jar of Vaseline with the sale...
mike995134 (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 10:16 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts

@subapr The fast charging cord is the $85 "Lexus Quick Charge cables, for your phone...a dealer accessory.
That make sense!

The 300h is really a nice car. Luxury trim also has acoustic (thicker) glass making the cabin even quieter. The MPG is great; and power in "Normal" or "Sport" mode is very good for a 4cyl engine.

Good luck with the deal!
93SCMax (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 11:18 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Out of curiosity I Googled. The IMF is a SC Infrastructure Maintenance Fee that is 5% of the sales price, up to a max $500 fee. Looks like it is in place of a sales tax.
Old 06-07-24, 11:56 AM
ConanTheLibrarian
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scubapr
Could you try to see if a financing option even with a high APR get you more discounts or freebies? Sometimes dealers get a % cut from the bank on financing and they will be more willing to add another incentives. Just make sure the finance institution does not have early payout penalties. Since you have the cash, you could payoff the loan during the first month.

Confused about that. The 300h is Gas-Hybrid not a Plug-in-Hybrid (PHEV). There's no charging port.
I'll second the financing option. They dodefinitely get a credit for using Lexus/Toyota financing. They will likely discount deeper in other areas. Just make sure there is no early payout fee or restriction. Another beni is that it will help improve your credit if needed... However, if your able/willing to pay cash, likely your credit is just fine.

Last edited by ConanTheLibrarian; 06-07-24 at 12:01 PM.
FastDawg (06-08-24)
Old 06-07-24, 01:46 PM
rocket363
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Out of curiosity I Googled. The IMF is a SC Infrastructure Maintenance Fee that is 5% of the sales price, up to a max $500 fee. Looks like it is in place of a sales tax.
If true that is amazing. My state has uncapped 7% tax on all car sales + some extra local tax items that can add a couple hundred more.
Old 06-07-24, 03:49 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket363
If true that is amazing. My state has uncapped 7% tax on all car sales + some extra local tax items that can add a couple hundred more.
6% here in PA. Not right to tax the purchase of what has become a necessity.
Old 06-07-24, 04:05 PM
93SCMax
Intermediate

South Carolina favors wealthy car buyers, and high end car sales companies. A few years back, the cap on new car sale tax was $300. If you bought a new Porsche 911, you paid the same amount as someone buying a new Kia. It appears they raised it to $500 max...most likely due to our roads being in really bad shape. Plus we don't have the terrible winter weather that destroys roads. Thank God Biden's infrastructure program is paying to repave most of the Interstate roads. Local main roads in Charleston are in bad condition due to heavy truck/port traffic, and poor state road maintenance support. I won't argue with paying $500 sales tax on a $50k+ car, but the car sales tax here surely isn't fair to the average car buyer. Maybe I should buy an LX600? Sales tax would be limited to $500. Quite comical.

Frankly, I'll be happy with a new ES300h. Just trying to get the best deal possible.
Thanks for your input.
scubapr (06-07-24)
Old 06-07-24, 08:26 PM
mike995134
Driver

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Ditto … I will never pay for “nitrogen” … and closing fees are pure BS and all dealer profit. We bought our ESh for $4,000 off MSRP ($3,000 dealer discount + $1,000 Lexus Military Discount). And to that was added sales tax, title and license.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike995134:
93SCMax (06-08-24), bc6152 (06-08-24)
Old 06-07-24, 11:21 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Just tell them NO, and also tell them that you want to wait for the new model because this one is going to be replaced next year and wait for their response.
Old 06-08-24, 04:26 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ESh
Just tell them NO, and also tell them that you want to wait for the new model because this one is going to be replaced next year and wait for their response.
I mentioned if I couldn't find the right car for the right price, I was willing to wait for an 8th gen ES. The Sales Rep said they would not be available until 2026. I also told him I read that US production of the ES was moving from Kentucky back to Japan. He said he's never heard that.
Hard to tell what's the truth. I suspect the Sales Team is last to really know.

Quick Reply: Purchase advice