ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

tire noise? Michelin or Bridgestone

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-24, 09:58 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 164 Posts

For me having OEM Bridgestone on my 2008 Tundra ruined me of ever wanting Bridgestone tires. Dealer service and Toyota would never admit wrong tires put on truck for the wear problems and I had decided to get rid of truck if changing tires did not fix. Enormous amount of frustration. Michelins wear perfect and still have truck today.
The following 2 users liked this post by alextv:
DocEnuf (06-11-24), FastDawg (06-11-24)
Old 06-12-24, 03:29 PM
MJLx2
10th Gear

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Under the heading of for what it’s worth, I recently replaced the OE Bridgestone EL 440 tires on my 2024 ES350 UL with Michelin Primacy Tour AS tires. Purchased through Costco. (Note: the Primacy’s are sold in 2 different load ratings - Standard (94) and XL (98). Although Costco’s tire selector system should identify the 94 load index as the ES tire, be sure that you buy the correct load rating for your replacement tires.). Here’s my take after ~1,500 miles.

The good - the Michelin’s feel like they have much lower rolling resistance. They feel notably quicker off the line and they drive lighter vs the Bridgestone’s. Further to that point, my gas mileage is slightly improved, especially on the highway. Noise levels are similar with the Michelin’s being slightly better. Same can be said for ride quality (smooth and comfort) … similar, but slightly better with the Michelin’s. Wet weather driving is significantly better with the Michelin’s. They feel really planted. Admittedly I didn’t experience any problems with the Bridgestone’s in wet weather driving, however to be sure the Michelin’s are very planted. I recently drove about 250 miles in heavy rain on I-90 through Wisconsin and the car felt very secure. (Although I’m not one to drive past the limits of the conditions, I was driving at highway speeds.)

The not so good - to my surprise, the noise and comfort ratings I noted above were not my initial experience during the first 500+ miles. In fact, I thought they were a bit stiff and had some amount of tire noise resonance during the initial ownership period. Frankly, enough that I called Michelin’s customer service to ask what was going on and if there was a break in period. They didn’t confirm that there was a break in period, but suggested I give them 30 days to let the tire compounds a chance to normalize.

My thoughts at this point - Yes, they are better in all meaningful ways than the OE Bridgestone’s. I would definitely recommend the Primacy Tour AS provided you get the OEM spec’d load rating tire.
Old 06-12-24, 05:53 PM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I have never read a positive review of the Bridgestone Turanza EL 440s at ClubLexus. Not one. And the reviews at other websites are lousy as well.
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (06-13-24)
Old 07-30-24, 01:38 PM
DocEnuf
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced my tires with Michelin and they are quieter. I still have a vibration, although very slight. So I will have to find the reason for that, since it appears not to be the tires.
NevadaCityLexus (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 01:42 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,033 Likes on 768 Posts

Did you check the wheels? They may be bent.
Old 07-30-24, 03:52 PM
DocEnuf
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

that's my next thing to do on my list., have the wheels checked for out of round or bent. Although the car only has 15k miles on it when I bought it, I am wondering if it has been wrecked. There is nothing stated under the vin search, but there is a couple of odd things like a small paint error on one fender and the driver's mirror has a dimple in the surface like it's not OEM. I need to take it into a certified Lexus shop, (dealer is 130 miles away) to have it checked out.
Old 07-31-24, 11:27 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally prefer Pirelli.
Old 07-31-24, 11:58 AM
Jersey5974
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I've been monitoring this topic for a few months since I want to replace my CPO dunlop conquests for noise reasons. So far it's pretty unanimous on what the top quietest 235/45/R18 tires are:

Michelin Primacy Tour A/S
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3
General Altimax Rt45's
Continental Purecontact LS

Bridgestone Turunza Quietrack
Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive
Vredestein HiTrac

I read two reports that the Pirelli's get quite loud once the tread starts to wear, but also people say the same of all tires. Michelin has the best reputation by far, but that comes at a $200 premium (for a set of 4).
I have yet to read about someone going with a narrower tire, or higher sidewall. I read that a narrower tire would reduce road noise due to less contact with the road.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...advTreadwear=0
https://www.reddit.com/r/tires/comme...res_right_now/

Last edited by Jersey5974; 08-01-24 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-31-24, 01:25 PM
OTR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a used 2019 ES300h Luxury and will need to replace the tires soon. It has a set of Continental PureContact LS tires in OEM size. I’m very happy with the tires as I find them very quiet and I am getting very good mpg’s, avg in the mid 40’s.

I want to be sure that I get a very quiet tire as that is more important to me. I would sacrifice a few mpg’s for a quiet ride. Anyone use these tires in the past and have found anything better?? I don’t want to get something that is loud and regret it.
Old 07-31-24, 02:13 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by OTR
I just purchased a used 2019 ES300h Luxury and will need to replace the tires soon. It has a set of Continental PureContact LS tires in OEM size. I’m very happy with the tires as I find them very quiet and I am getting very good mpg’s, avg in the mid 40’s.

I want to be sure that I get a very quiet tire as that is more important to me. I would sacrifice a few mpg’s for a quiet ride. Anyone use these tires in the past and have found anything better?? I don’t want to get something that is loud and regret it.
Tires get louder as they wear. If your tires are worn to the point they need to be replaced, and you consider them to be quiet, might as well stick with them.
OTR (07-31-24)
Old 08-02-24, 11:55 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a’21 ES350 that has Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus’ on them & so far they’re very quiet. Anyone else running these?
Old 08-02-24, 12:32 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Continental Tires get good reviews from fellow Corvette owners for being quiet along with their performance.

IMHO you can’t get a quieter ride than the Michelins give you. We had OEM Bridgestone tires on my wife’s 2020 Denali and I couldn’t wear them down fast enough. Replaced them with Michelin Defenders and the difference in the ride quality is very noticeable.
Old 08-02-24, 12:48 PM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Tires become noisier as they age and as the compound becomes more hard.

I always try to go with the same brand and size that the manufacturers pair with the vehicle when new. Why reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-02-24, 03:34 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ndunn
Tires become noisier as they age and as the compound becomes more hard.

I always try to go with the same brand and size that the manufacturers pair with the vehicle when new. Why reinvent the wheel.
Same size, of course. But same brand? Changing brands is reinventing the wheel? 🤔

Last edited by Denzlex; 08-02-24 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-02-24, 04:24 PM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Denzlex
Same size, of course. But same brand? Changing brands is reinventing the wheel? 🤔
So to speak, yes.

The manufacturer's engineers also tested tire pairing during the tuning of the suspension. Perhaps you'll not muck it up but why bother.

Quick Reply: tire noise? Michelin or Bridgestone