ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

tire noise? Michelin or Bridgestone

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-24, 12:28 PM
DocEnuf
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

well 2 pounds is not much, and it might be good for a smoother ride, since I have 18s on my car. very little side wall so it will tend to ride harder than the standard 17s that also come on the ES350s.
Most of my cars, I run higher pressures than on the door because they wear better, handle better and better MPG. But this car is so stiff feeling, It might be worth a try for ME..
I do understand tires can run hotter when under inflated and can blow out.. it's the main reason we now have TPM on cars now..Remember the SUVs (don't remember the brand, maybe fords) that had blow outs and caused deaths? They found the tires were under inflated. Now we all have to deal with TPM light coming on when the temps drop in the fall. uggh..
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (08-05-24)
Old 08-06-24, 08:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by DocEnuf
well 2 pounds is not much, and it might be good for a smoother ride, since I have 18s on my car. very little side wall so it will tend to ride harder than the standard 17s that also come on the ES350s.
Most of my cars, I run higher pressures than on the door because they wear better, handle better and better MPG. But this car is so stiff feeling, It might be worth a try for ME..
I do understand tires can run hotter when under inflated and can blow out.. it's the main reason we now have TPM on cars now..Remember the SUVs (don't remember the brand, maybe fords) that had blow outs and caused deaths? They found the tires were under inflated.
I do drop my tires by 3 lbs to only 30 PSI!
However, every month, I must top up the tires.
Monthly, I must also turn my steering wheel lock to lock to inspect the front tires for uneven wear.
Monthly, I get on my knees with a foam pad to inspect the rear tires for uneven wear.

I often cruise 50, rather than 60 mph outright.
I rarely past 60 mph, and I certainly never 90 mph.
Though, many decades ago when I was a teenager, I did well over 90 mph! I just don't do this anymore.

I still do notice premature outside edge wear, and I always end up replacing my tires prematurely; a bit of money lost but okay by me.
Former President Akio was nuts trying to make the entire Toyota and Lexus range of vehicles sporty.

Originally Posted by DocEnuf
Now we all have to deal with TPM light coming on when the temps drop in the fall. uggh..
First thing in the morning, adjust your tires to the recommended or your desired pressure using a portable air compressor etc.
Switch the instrument panel on, but don't start the engine.
Put a foam pad on the ground.
Get on your knees.
Use a headlight and a mirror or scope if necessary.
Locate the TPMS button under the steering wheel.
Hold the button down until it beeps, and it will remember your new "nominal" tire pressure setting.
The warning light won't go off until the pressure is roughly 10% below your nominal setting - or something of that nature...

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-06-24 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-07-24, 05:12 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 557 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Locate the TPMS button under the steering wheel.
Hold the button down until it beeps, and it will remember your new "nominal" tire pressure setting.
That isn't the procedure used for this, seventh generation of ES. (There's no TPMS button under the steering wheel.)

For what is the correct procedure see my 2022 es 300h tire pressure reset button post #3.
Old 08-08-24, 07:05 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketMan295
”with so little miles on these” I fully agree 15,000 miles on a quality tire should have a lot of tread life ahead. BUT every ES and ESh comes out of the factory with a disclaimer sticker on the right rear window saying that 15,000 miles may be the end of the tires’ life. (Visit any Lexus showroom, check it out) Perhaps seeing this sticker will make it easier on your conscience if you wind up buying. I agree with others that Michelin is the best tire for your ES. Best wishes with your new Lexus!
I've never noticed this sticker on any of the ES cars I looked at. I'm gonna have to visit a dealer lot now.
So you gain a couple tenths of a MPG with the OEM tires and throw away hundreds of dollars because you need new tires sooner
Old 08-08-24, 03:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
That isn't the procedure used for this, seventh generation of ES. (There's no TPMS button under the steering wheel.)

For what is the correct procedure see my 2022 es 300h tire pressure reset button post #3.
Yes, you're right about that.
I do remember having to press buttons on the steering wheel of my wife's 2017 IS200t a few years ago to go through the instrument panel's TPMS system.
Next weekend or the weekend after when I do her oil change, I'll have a detailed look into that again.
Old 08-09-24, 07:09 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by OTR
I just purchased a used 2019 ES300h Luxury and will need to replace the tires soon. It has a set of Continental PureContact LS tires in OEM size. I’m very happy with the tires as I find them very quiet and I am getting very good mpg’s, avg in the mid 40’s.

I want to be sure that I get a very quiet tire as that is more important to me. I would sacrifice a few mpg’s for a quiet ride. Anyone use these tires in the past and have found anything better?? I don’t want to get something that is loud and regret it.
Replaced brand new stock tires on my Nissan 240 Z with Conti’s and it was like night to day. Very quiet, more comfortable ride, etc. I sacrificed some sporty handling that was unimportant to me for comfort. Now, all I buy is Continental Pure or Extreme Contact. Can’t remember the difference between those two.