ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Ordering a new 2024 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-24, 07:04 AM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings
That's odd, when I click on my original "Custom Order" link in Post #13 it works
Here it is again with the full URL:

https://www.lexusescondido.com/custom-order.htm
Thank you.
Old 07-08-24, 01:49 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
If you search my username along with the keywords "special order" and/or "allocations," you'll find extensive information, including my contracts, order documents, and special order forms – detailed information not commonly seen by customers. There's also a comprehensive guide on dealer inventory, allocations, and the special ordering process. This includes details on my own true special order, 22 UL, completed at the end of 2021, which I ordered in August (before Lexus restricted customer orders) and was delivered in January 2022.
I was told last November that "Build your Car" attempts to match your preference with future allocations, and you really could not truly "custom order" a Lexus.
But lots of Lexus Dealer websites currently indicate you really can tweak your car down to the atomic level, or maybe the websites are not current?
What's your bargaining power for a true custom order?

Custom Order
Lexus's "Custom Order" Illusion: The Bait-and-Switch That Can Leave You High and Dry (and Wondering Why You Bothered)

Imagine this: You're browsing the online showroom of a Lexus dealership, daydreaming about your perfect ES. You stumble upon a section titled "Custom Order," promising the chance to build your Lexus exactly as you envision it. The allure of choosing every detail, from the seat stitching to the paint color, is almost too good to be true. (Spoiler alert: it is).

Don't despair just yet, though. Lexus does offer "special orders" to allow for some personalization within their predetermined options. However, creating a truly unique Lexus might not always live up to the hype. (Spoiler alert: it often doesn't). In fact, these special orders often come with caveats and aren't as easy to come by as one might think. Take it from someone who's been there, done that, and has the "special order" paperwork to prove it.
But hold your horses, fellow car enthusiast. Before you get too excited, let's pull back the curtain on this "custom order" charade.

The "Custom Order" Smoke Screen: A Misleading Tactic (and a Masterclass in Marketing)

Lexus dealerships, in their marketing genius, love to throw around the term "custom order." It's a captivating phrase, conjuring images of a bespoke vehicle crafted to your unique desires. However, the reality is about as glamorous as a beige minivan.

That enticing "Custom Order" section on their website? It's more like a mirage than a genuine opportunity. It's a clever marketing ploy designed to reel you in with the promise of control, only to leave you disappointed (and probably with a car you didn't really want).

Here's the cold, hard truth: Lexus doesn't actually offer true custom orders. Their system relies on pre-set packages and options, restricting your choices to a limited range of features and configurations. While you can personalize your Lexus to some extent, you're essentially picking from a pre-approved list, not designing a unique masterpiece.

The Dealer's Shell Game: Bait-and-Switch in Action (and Your Wallet)

Once you've filled out the "Custom Order" form with your carefully selected preferences, the dealership gets in touch. This is where the bait-and-switch really kicks in.

The salesperson, with their practiced charm and a smile that could melt ice, will break the news that your dream configuration isn't possible due to production issues or unavailable parts. They'll then try to steer you towards vehicles they already have on hand or en route to the dealership (conveniently, right?).

The disappointing result? You might end up with a Lexus that's in the ballpark of what you wanted, but not the exact car you had your heart set on. The thrill of "custom ordering" turns into the letdown of settling for less (and possibly paying more for it).

The Unvarnished Truth: The Business Behind the Illusion (and How to Beat It)

Lexus dealerships aren't inherently evil, but they are businesses focused on sales goals and profits. The "Custom Order" illusion is a marketing strategy meant to attract customers and generate leads. It's a bait-and-switch tactic that leaves many buyers feeling cheated and disillusioned (and wondering why they didn't just buy a used car).

By understanding the limitations of the ordering process and what "custom order" truly means (hint: it's not what you think it means), you can go into the car-buying experience with realistic expectations and avoid falling victim to misleading, even downright deceptive marketing tactics.

Remember, knowledge is your best defense. Don't be fooled by the promise of a "Custom Order." Do your homework, ask plenty of questions, and insist on transparency from the dealership. Only then can you find the Lexus that truly meets your needs and desires, without succumbing to the illusion of endless customization (or ending up with a car you'll secretly resent).

Last edited by UltraLux22; 07-08-24 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-08-24, 06:21 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

@UltraLux22 This was a well put summary of the "misleading" Lexus custom order process.
I'd have to go a little further and say it's down right deceptive in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
UltraLux22 (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24, 07:37 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

All car manufacturers are like this when you build a car on their website. Lexus is no different than any other brand. I didn’t like the black wheels on my F Sport. When the car arrived I did a wheel swap with Wheel Craft. I now have the same wheels in the color I wanted.

Manufacturers can’t offer everything that everyone might want. It’s not economically feasible. That’s why aftermarket auto parts are available.
Old 07-08-24, 08:41 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastDawg
All car manufacturers are like this when you build a car on their website. Lexus is no different than any other brand. I didn’t like the black wheels on my F Sport. When the car arrived I did a wheel swap with Wheel Craft. I now have the same wheels in the color I wanted.

Manufacturers can’t offer everything that everyone might want. It’s not economically feasible. That’s why aftermarket auto parts are available.
I'm unclear on how your scenario relates to this situation unless I'm missing something. I want to make sure we're on the same page here. Not all dealerships operate in the same way. The example I mentioned is pretty extreme and intentional. Most dealerships don't engage in such blatant misrepresentation, but I used it to illustrate an important distinction. Special orders are a whole different story; even the aspect I briefly mentioned is incredibly complex. The inner workings behind the scenes are truly mind-boggling. Even a genuine special order isn't a complete custom build; it's more like a modification request. But that's a whole different thread! But I am glad you got what you wanted. However, it sounds like you knew what to expect.
Old 07-08-24, 08:56 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

@UltraLux22 This was a well put summary of the "misleading" Lexus custom order process.
I'd have to go a little further and say it's down right deceptive in my opinion.
Originally Posted by UltraLux22

…you can go into the car-buying experience with realistic expectations and avoid falling victim to misleading, even downright deceptive marketing tactics.
There, I fixed it for you!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 07-08-24 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-08-24, 09:00 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Duplicate. (stupid phone)
Old 07-08-24, 04:32 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FastDawg

Nobody is singling out Lexus for this misleading practice. I think you're missing the point, the custom build option is misleading. If other automakers also practice this deceptive behavior, shame on them too