ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Real World Dynamic Subscription Ended

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-24, 12:54 PM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Rug asks: "My question is on the Extended Warranty. Is there any good reason financially to do this?"
No. Almost all analyses conclude that it is never a good reason to get an extended warranty, especially for a Lexus, with its very low average annual repair costs, even more so.
The following 2 users liked this post by tfischer:
bc6152 (08-23-24), rugmankc (08-23-24)
Old 08-23-24, 01:02 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

[QUOTE=rugmankc;11776757]
2021 ES350. Premium Package. 43k on it.

First off my subscription has ended and I still have Nav and can set destinations. Even have the weather map.

Man O' man to say that this thread is confusing is an understatement. According to offroad200 your nav access should have ended after 3 years. " If you're referring to your 2024, that's a different system than a 2019. You have subscription only navigation. Meaning, in 3 years when Drive Connect expires, if you don't renew it, you'll be left with a purple screen asking you to subscribe in place of the map.". And you are stating that although your 3 years are up you still have navigation capability. No purple screen... And I would bet that you can also start your car with the smartkey fob for the next 7 years free of charge...
Old 08-23-24, 01:40 PM
rugmankc
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=bc6152;11776831]
Originally Posted by rugmankc

First off my subscription has ended and I still have Nav and can set destinations. Even have the weather map.

Man O' man to say that this thread is confusing is an understatement. According to offroad200 your nav access should have ended after 3 years. " If you're referring to your 2024, that's a different system than a 2019. You have subscription only navigation. Meaning, in 3 years when Drive Connect expires, if you don't renew it, you'll be left with a purple screen asking you to subscribe in place of the map.". And you are stating that although your 3 years are up you still have navigation capability. No purple screen... And I would bet that you can also start your car with the smartkey fob for the next 7 years free of charge...
I am confused--- I have a 2021 ES350 no 2024. And I should have Nav, just with no Cloud Support. I did subscibe to Enform Remote. Always have. The current Nav system is different than the 2021's. No purple screens.

My only 2 real questions are Lexus Nav Voice Messaging not working when pushing the talk button since I added apple CarPlay and Extended Warranty.
Old 08-23-24, 02:44 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 565 Likes on 398 Posts

I am confused--- I have a 2021 ES350 no 2024. And I should have Nav, just with no Cloud Support. I did subscibe to Enform Remote. Always have. The current Nav system is different than the 2021's. No purple screens.

My only 2 real questions are Lexus Nav Voice Messaging not working when pushing the talk button since I added apple CarPlay and Extended Warranty.
On page 57 of the 2021 Lexus ES300H, ES350 Navigation and Multimedia System Owner's Manual, there's this:
● When an Apple CarPlay/Android Auto connection is established, some system functions, such as the following, will be replaced by similar Apple CarPlay/Android Auto functions or will become unavailable:
• Bluetooth® phone(Apple CarPlay only)
Without Apple CarPlay operating, your 2021 ES's built-in SMS messaging function works, in part, through a Bluetooth established link to the (registered Bluetooth device) Bluetooth attached/linked phone that supports the Bluetooth profile MAP (Message Access Profile). As the above quote indicates, when Apple CarPlay is operating, Lexus built-in Bluetooth phone functions, e.g. SMS messaging using Bluetooth MAP communication links, is replaced by Apple CarPlay's voice and messaging functionality.

So, for test messaging related operations while Apple CarPlay is operating, you'll have to long hold/press the steering wheel's voice button to invoke Siri and use Siri's text messaging voice commands and Siri's voice-to-text and teat reading functionality.
The following users liked this post:
rugmankc (08-23-24)
Old 08-23-24, 03:18 PM
rugmankc
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
On page 57 of the 2021 Lexus ES300H, ES350 Navigation and Multimedia System Owner's Manual, there's this:

Without Apple CarPlay operating, your 2021 ES's built-in SMS messaging function works, in part, through a Bluetooth established link to the (registered Bluetooth device) Bluetooth attached/linked phone that supports the Bluetooth profile MAP (Message Access Profile). As the above quote indicates, when Apple CarPlay is operating, Lexus built-in Bluetooth phone functions, e.g. SMS messaging using Bluetooth MAP communication links, is replaced by Apple CarPlay's voice and messaging functionality.

So, for test messaging related operations while Apple CarPlay is operating, you'll have to long hold/press the steering wheel's voice button to invoke Siri and use Siri's text messaging voice commands and Siri's voice-to-text and teat reading functionality.
Thanks for the info,

I am using CarPlay exclusively now. But, based on your explanation I would have to have iPhone in car, unplug CarPlay, and try to use the car’s stand alone messaging system to make sure it still works and that it doesn’t have an issue.

Thanks Again,
Old 08-25-24, 02:48 PM
grp52
Instructor

... But, based on your explanation I would have to have iPhone in car, unplug CarPlay, and try to use the car’s stand alone messaging system to make sure it still works and that it doesn’t have an issue.
Provided the iPhone has been added to your ES's list of Bluetooth devices as a phone device, that's how I interpret the manual's text I quoted.

As I discussed in my Sending texts via Bluetooth post #5 it is only when you have any active subscription (trial or paid) that dictation for text messaging will be enabled. In that posting I assumed it was the Dynamic Voice Command component of the Lexus Enformed set of connected services and according to the Lexus 2021 MY CONNECTED SERVICES TRIAL, RENEWAL AND APPLICABILITYchart, your cloud based Dynamic Voice Command trial subscription is 10 years.

If you aren't aware of it, your ES model year is in the range of model years supporting Mobile Assistant supporting Siri Eyes Free Mode. So, when your iPhone is connected with just Bluetooth (and not Apple CarPlay) you can also invoke that mode and use your iPhone's Siri functionality for voice commanding, reading, and message composition dictation. I haven't tried Siri Eyes Free Mode for text messaging related functionality so I can't attest to how well it works but it is an alternative means of using voice for text messaging functions if the Lexus native cloud based natural language Dynamic Voice for messaging commands and dictation isn't available or has difficulty understanding your spoken commands or dictation correctly.

The following users liked this post:
rugmankc (08-25-24)
Old 08-27-24, 03:52 PM
Jeaco
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a wonderful acura. I paid quite a bit to have the "tech" feature of the Navigation. Theirs Is a satillite/dvd system, I have never upgraded the DVD as they like to ask me to do each year for like $100. I pay extra to sirrius xm to have my nav features integrated for traffic, weather, etc.

Just bought a ES 300h. Love using Apple Car play. I can use google maps. waze, etc. It is constantly updated. Clear. Very easy interface. I will never pay for navigation again.

It reminds me of when we used to have those GPS systems. We bought them separately and installed them in our cars. We would pay extra to have a rental car with them....We thought we were so advanced. WE had little holders on our dashes. And now no one would buy one. I think the Navigatins systems that are installed in cars, if you have to pay extra, are like dinousars. They are on their way out. IMHO

Old 08-27-24, 05:08 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeaco
... I will never pay for navigation again. ...
Oh, you're still paying for navigation. The only difference is that your payment is hidden in the things you're now using for navigation.

In the case of Apple CarPlay and iPhones, CarPlay functionality and Apple Maps usage is baked into a hidden delta increased price of the iPhone. CarPlay functionality also has an increased price delta on the price of the ES you bought. You're also paying for Google Maps and Waze usage in the form of all your specific personal location and other usage data being sold to third party data brokers and Alphabet's using all your personal data to sell more expensive ads tailored and targeted specifically to you and your data profile.

There's also an increased price delta associated with getting the map and routing data onto your iPhone for CarPlay navigation functionality. The delta price amount will depend upon how you get the Internet accessed data onto your iPhone.
Old 08-27-24, 06:12 PM
Jeaco
Rookie

Yes. You are correct...Google Maps makes money off of advertising. And I am ok with that......The factory installed navigation in the lexus can cost more than $1000 and also after 3 years has a yearly fee as well as a cost to keep it updated. My acura cost at least $1000 more.. cannot remember. And to integrate it so it reflected current nav and weather was about $175 per year. So....I will take some advertising. And the Car Play is much easier and actually gives a better interface. IMHO But your point is well-taken.
Old 08-28-24, 06:04 PM
IraF12
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trial Subscriptions ended

Most of you are probably aware of this and to be honest with you i wasn't aware about subscriptions as to when they expire and all i knew was that
in 3 years my subscriptions would expire and i am getting close to that point around November 30 of this year. I did call Lexus( Enform Suites Lexus (800 817-8742)and only asked for 2 to be renewed. so how do i know if it's correct. Here's how on your smart phone open up the Lexus App and click on Remote and then below vehicle click on info and after doing that you should see 3 items mentioned Glovebox, Subscriptions and Connected Services Support. Click on Subscriptions and you will notice Trial Services and when they expire and what each service does. Also if you have renewed like me you will see Paid Services. Hope that helps for people who are like me and i also see Auto Renew on. You probably don't even have to call and i notice way at the bottom Add services so i am assuming it can be done over your phone. I also forgot to mention there is a place where it says purchase and then there are check boxes and then continue to purchase

Last edited by IraF12; 08-30-24 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-28-24, 06:29 PM
Jeaco
Rookie

What does the Enform Suite do? When I google it, I see it says it was discontinued in 2022. I have the lexus app on my phone. It is bit confusing to me.
Old 08-28-24, 06:40 PM
IraF12
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus enform suite gone but the Enform Remote is still here, basically control your car via your smart phone
Old 08-29-24, 09:16 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

[QUOTE=bc6152;11776831]

Sorry if this is confusing. I will try to explain it better. Because what the car can or cannot do all depends on the year and system in the car.

2023-up ES:
Got the Gen 12 "infotainment" system called Interface. There are 2 options basically relating to screen size and whether or not it came with Lexus navigation. Regardless if it comes with navigation or not, it's a subscription service.
Small screen, 8" screen, no trial period for Drive Connect. Drive Connect is basically Lexus navigation and enhanced Lexus voice commands. You can purchase a monthly Drive Connect subscription and have Lexus navigation on a small screen.
Big screen, 12.3" screen, 3 year trial period of Drive Connect. After the 3 year trial period, if you want to keep Lexus navigation, you have to pay for it monthly. I believe it's currently only bundled with another service. For instance, it's currently $15/month for bundled Drive Connect and Remote Connect (remote start and most other features of the app).
Remote start with the key fob will continue to work as long as the you have at least a Safety Connect subscription. Safety Connect comes with a up to 10 year trial subscription. It says "up to" because it's 4G dependent.
One positive thing about this new cloud based navigation, it's updated 2-3 times per week according to Lexus. And uses Google POIs.

2019-2022 ES
Here it gets a little confusing concerning which system and trial periods came with the car. Early on they had the Gen 10 system which only has Apple CarPlay. To add to the confusion, Early 2019s did not get Apple CarPlay support until Oct. 2018 vehicle production, it can be retrofitted however.
Small screen gets no Lexus navigation, period. You might see a small screen where half of the screen says "click here for the navigation app" or something like that. This leads people to think they can download Lexus navigation to their car. This is not the case. Originally, this was mainly intended for Android users since Gen 10 didn't have Android Auto. It was meant for you to use Waze thru the Lexus App Suite to see Waze on the car's screen. This didn't last that long. I can only assume Lexus and Waze couldn't come to an agreement????
Gen 10 with the large screen. This comes with built in navigation that will never go away. You will always have it, there is no subscription. HOWEVER, there was/is a subscription service called Dynamic Navigation. This essentially allows the built in navigation to pull temporary updates from the cloud. Think about it as a cloud of data that follows you around updating the map and POIs. But, this cloud database is only updated 1 or 2 times a year. If you let this subscription lapse and do not reenroll, the built in navigation data reverts back to the day you bought it. The updates from the cloud aren't permanently written to the car's system. Another side affect of not renewing Dynamic Navigation is you lose Dynamic Voice. Just like Siri, Dynamic Voice goes out to the cloud to understand what you're asking it. Without Dynamic Voice, when sending texts, you can only send canned responses. You can no longer dictate texts (because there is no cloud connection that can decipher what you are saying).
Gen 11, basically the same as Gen 10 but with a slightly updated look and adds Android Auto. Everything I just said about Gen 10 applies here as well. Gen 11 started with/around the October 2019 production date.
Easy way to tell:
Gen 10 Apple CarPlay only
Gen 11 Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Trial periods (hopefully I get this right because it's hard for me to keep up):
Gen 12:
Safety Connect. up to 10 years (4G dependent) (this being active should make key fob remote start possible)
Service Connect, up to 10 years (4G dependent)
Remote Connect (app), 3 years
Drive Connect, 3 years if the larger 12.3" screen

Gen 11:
Safety Connect, 3 years
Service Connect, 10 years (this being active should make key fob remote start possible)
Remote Connect (app), 3 years
Dynamic Navigation, 3 years

Gen 10:
Safety Connect, 10 years
Service Connect, 10 years
Remote Connect (app), 1 year
Remote start (key fob), 10 years
Dynamic Navigation, 3 years (if the car has built in Lexus navigation)

Hopefully this clears things up a little. Sorry, I don't check these forums often but will answer questions as I'm able.