ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Real World Dynamic Subscription Ended

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-24, 04:46 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Real World Dynamic Subscription Ended

I am looking for answers from those that are in this situation. Your 3 year DyNav has ended and you are still using the OnBoard Nav. I have read many internet responses and most seem ambiguous.

I just traded my 2016 RX350 in for a 2021 ES350 Premium/Nav package. I want to use the built in Nav. Don't want to hook up iPhone. I do 99.9% local driving, not going anywhere with new roads. So, don't care about updates, POI's. Could use Waze if needed.

I would like to know "exactly" how the Nav will work with no subscription. I assume I have a 90 day trial along with Sirius/Safety Connect for now as Nav is fully functional. I did enroll in Enform Remote. Was really ticked when my 2016 RX lost it.

So, SPECIFCALLY will I be able to input destinations, have it show my route, and give me turn by turn voice guidance while getting there.

I was specific asking about this when purchased and told it would.

Thanks for all "real world" replies.

Ken
Old 06-13-24, 10:01 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by rugmankc
I am looking for answers from those that are in this situation. Your 3 year DyNav has ended and you are still using the OnBoard Nav. I have read many internet responses and most seem ambiguous.

I just traded my 2016 RX350 in for a 2021 ES350 Premium/Nav package. I want to use the built in Nav. Don't want to hook up iPhone. I do 99.9% local driving, not going anywhere with new roads. So, don't care about updates, POI's. Could use Waze if needed.

I would like to know "exactly" how the Nav will work with no subscription. I assume I have a 90 day trial along with Sirius/Safety Connect for now as Nav is fully functional. I did enroll in Enform Remote. Was really ticked when my 2016 RX lost it.

So, SPECIFCALLY will I be able to input destinations, have it show my route, and give me turn by turn voice guidance while getting there.

I was specific asking about this when purchased and told it would.

Thanks for all "real world" replies.

Ken
My 2019 works exactly as you described as long as you have an active subscription. I too favor the vehicle’s native Nav and the voice recognition of addresses works very well for me. I can’t say I use it a lot but it works well if I’m looking for an address in some new neighborhood or while traveling outside my region.
Old 06-13-24, 10:42 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

Originally Posted by TechNut
My 2019 works exactly as you described as long as you have an active subscription. I too favor the vehicle’s native Nav and the voice recognition of addresses works very well for me. I can’t say I use it a lot but it works well if I’m looking for an address in some new neighborhood or while traveling outside my region.
I won’t have a subscription. So, wondering how it will work exactly without one.

Thanks
Old 06-13-24, 11:07 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

My 2019 ES UL will be 6 Y.O. in December. I dropped the subscription and the free trial ran out almost 3 years ago. I don't have Enform or any other program with Lexus and don't pay for anything. Everything works the same including free remote start for 10 years. I think the only feature you will lose is the updating of maps. Voice commands, manual entry, all the same, no change. Hope this answers your question.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (06-14-24)
Old 06-13-24, 11:29 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
My 2019 ES UL will be 6 Y.O. in December. I dropped the subscription and the free trial ran out almost 3 years ago. I don't have Enform or any other program with Lexus and don't pay for anything. Everything works the same including free remote start for 10 years. I think the only feature you will lose is the updating of maps. Voice commands, manual entry, all the same, no change. Hope this answers your question.
Yes it does, thanks.
Old 06-13-24, 07:30 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

For those of us who optioned & paid for our ES GPS and enjoyed using it and then the subscription runs out, should we be taken as fools to pay Lexus for renewal of the GPS subscription and maps?

For me, using a cellphone or portable GPS would be a serious downgrade, even if some of the cellphone apps are deemed by some as "better" than the ES GPS system.

What with the cost of purchasing our cars, is the cost of a renewal of subscription & GPS maps so exorbitant? We aren't driving Corollas, you know. If we are fools for renewing the GPS maps, then were we fools for optioning GPS in our cars originally?
Old 06-13-24, 08:54 PM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RJLsES
For me, using a cellphone or portable GPS would be a serious downgrade, even if some of the cellphone apps are deemed by some as "better" than the ES GPS system.
With all due respect, I disagree that connecting a cellphone and using an APP like Google Maps is a downgrade to the Lexus Navigation. That's like saying a 4K HDR+/DV TV is a downgrade to a 1080p TV.

Unless a person does not have a smartphone, have a very limited data plan, have Technophobia or it's a Tech Luddite, there's no reason IMHO to not use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay with Google Maps or Waze as GPS Navigation System. They are way better than the Lexus Nav. Not that the Lexus Nav is bad, it's just not in the same league. Also they are frequently updated with new features and enhancements creating a better navigation experience with real-time data.

I'll recommend everyone, including the OP, to give Google Maps, Waze, etc. a try. Why not use a better capable FREE feature available on the ES (and even Corollas)?
Old 06-14-24, 08:53 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry, but nobody is answering the question.
When the trial period ends, what happens? Do you get a blank screen when trying to activate the NAV?
==================================================
Current Hers: '24 Lexus ES350 Lux
Current Mine: '23 Lexus IS350 F Sport AWD
Old 06-14-24, 09:07 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
Sorry, but nobody is answering the question.
When the trial period ends, what happens? Do you get a blank screen when trying to activate the NAV?
@bc6152 responded on post #4
Old 06-14-24, 09:36 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

>responded on post #4

Thanks, but that was for a '19. Just wondering about current models.
Old 06-14-24, 10:38 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by pab12
>responded on post #4

Thanks, but that was for a '19. Just wondering about current models.
If you're referring to your 2024, that's a different system than a 2019. You have subscription only navigation. Meaning, in 3 years when Drive Connect expires, if you don't renew it, you'll be left with a purple screen asking you to subscribe in place of the map. The rest of the screens, like the radio screen, won't be affected. The new system is cloud based only but is updated 2-3 times a week.
The previous Dynamic Nav systems will always have built in nav. But a couple of points on that. With the previous system, Dynamic Nav only gets updated 1 or 2 times a year. And it's not a permanent update (unless you pay for a permanent update like even older nav systems), it just "updates" the screen as you drive around if there are any new streets or POIs. You will also lose Dynamic Voice. So your text messages will revert back to canned responses instead of you being able to say whatever you want to in a text.
OR just use the free Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Your choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by offroad200:
LexFinally (06-19-24), scubapr (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 01:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by RJLsES
For those of us who optioned & paid for our ES GPS and enjoyed using it and then the subscription runs out, should we be taken as fools to pay Lexus for renewal of the GPS subscription and maps?

What with the cost of purchasing our cars, is the cost of a renewal of subscription & GPS maps so exorbitant? We aren't driving Corollas, you know. If we are fools for renewing the GPS maps, then were we fools for optioning GPS in our cars originally?
I agree with your assessment - mostly. With ApplePlay or Android Auto, I don’t necessarily think using the phone is a downgrade, but it does involve more steps and require connecting a cable to the phone (at least prior to 2023 models). Like you, I am not offended by paying a modest fee for the subscription, which seems pretty de minimus after the price of the car. In my humble opinion, this is simply about choice, and people just have different preferences. Some people can get very passionate about their choice and think everybody should agree with them. I don’t think anyone paying for these subscriptions is a fool and I don’t really believe that is what they are implying. Don’t take it personally and just appreciate that some people are just very passionate about their opinions/choices.
scubapr (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 05:42 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

The other downside that makes me leery of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, particularly the latter, is the privacy invasion. Google already gathers and sells information about me through searches, Gmail and YouTube. If I had an Android phone, ditto. Now, on top of all that, make me tell them exactly where I drive and when. No thanks. (And yes, I know Toyota gathers and sells the data too, but they're not the mother of all data gatherers.)
ATL350 (06-18-24)
Old 06-17-24, 04:00 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

[QUOTE=offroad200;11740209]If you're referring to your 2024, that's a different system than a 2019. You have subscription only navigation. Meaning, in 3 years when Drive Connect expires, if you don't renew it, you'll be left with a purple screen asking you to subscribe in place of the map. The new system is cloud based only but is updated 2-3 times a week.

So do I understand this to say that with a 2024 ES with navigation, that the nav will not work after 3 years when the free program expires? That you must subscribe to get the nav to work?
Old 06-18-24, 05:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

[QUOTE=bc6152;11741874]
Originally Posted by offroad200
If you're referring to your 2024, that's a different system than a 2019. You have subscription only navigation. Meaning, in 3 years when Drive Connect expires, if you don't renew it, you'll be left with a purple screen asking you to subscribe in place of the map. The new system is cloud based only but is updated 2-3 times a week.

So do I understand this to say that with a 2024 ES with navigation, that the nav will not work after 3 years when the free program expires? That you must subscribe to get the nav to work?
Who cares - they all have wireless AA and Carplay now so most will never need the native NAV.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
offroad200 (06-19-24), scubapr (06-18-24)

Quick Reply: Real World Dynamic Subscription Ended