ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2021 ES350 Nav accuracy question--

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-24, 04:03 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
In case you aren't aware of it, both Google Maps and Apple Maps have feedback forms where you can report issues with their maps. (HERE also has forms for reporting map issues and a while age a forum poster got his Lexus Navigation home address wrong map location fixed by reporting the problem to HERE and Lexus customer support reporting messaging.)

For Apple Maps, look for "Report an Issue" (where it is found depends upon the Mac, iPad, or iPhone Maps app). In the past I've reported address issues with Apple Maps and although it took a while I received a "we fixed it" email from the Apple Maps support team.

If you do report the issue to Google and/or Apple, suggest you include the HERE street and satellite view URLs of your home's neighborhood area location (nearest street intersection to your home should be good enough) so the map support people investigating your report can quickly find the exact location area your reporting the issue on.

While it can be a bother to report map issues, remember if the map support people don't know about a map problem the odds of the problem getting fixed are slim to none.
Thanks. I've reported to both twice in the last three years. No correction.
Old 06-21-24, 04:58 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
No the cloud should have the most resent data for the route. One thing to point out is that it is network dependent so without network unless it cached the new data from the cloud it would default back to what is on memory in your system. You can get off a route caused by a detour and end up with out cell coverage and depend on the internal memory. It happens. To me that is a big downside of the new systems that are subscription based only and then have to depend on offline downloaded map on phone to set you straight.
Ok, I thank everyone for their help. I just got off the phone with Support and they helped me update software. Had 2 updates needed.

Screen has some new looks. But, will need to drive and see if any better on finishing routes. They said it should and if not, take it to dealer. Could be a Communication module.

I will update what happens when resolved. Or, I give up

Thanks
Old 06-22-24, 06:18 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rugmankc
Ok, I thank everyone for their help. I just got off the phone with Support and they helped me update software. Had 2 updates needed.

Screen has some new looks. But, will need to drive and see if any better on finishing routes. They said it should and if not, take it to dealer. Could be a Communication module.

I will update what happens when resolved. Or, I give up

Thanks
The updates you did at no cost were system updates. Did they quote you a price on updating the map data in vehicle memory or if that is even available anymore?
Old 06-22-24, 06:42 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

The updates you did at no cost were system updates. Did they quote you a price on updating the map data in vehicle memory or if that is even available anymore?
I did it over phone with Rep. Not sure that is issue though. These places have been there for years. But, the map age is a possibility.

Will get with dealer also.

Hoping something like the Com Module. Want it fixed.
Old 06-22-24, 08:08 AM
alextv
Instructor

I did it over phone with Rep. Not sure that is issue though. These places have been there for years. But, the map age is a possibility.

Will get with dealer also.

Hoping something like the Com Module. Want it fixed.
The cloud should be giving you the newest info in there database which shouldn't be affected by your embedded nav. If you don't care about who knows about one of the suspected addresses post it here and let others try to acquire as that will let you know if it is your system or not which I doubt is the problem. Nothing out there is perfect but I have found google maps to be more reliable using there servers.
The following users liked this post:
rugmankc (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 08:35 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

The cloud should be giving you the newest info in there database which shouldn't be affected by your embedded nav. If you don't care about who knows about one of the suspected addresses post it here and let others try to acquire as that will let you know if it is your system or not which I doubt is the problem. Nothing out there is perfect but I have found google maps to be more reliable using there servers.
You’re saying with my software updates and the paid navigation cloud, I should be seeing the latest maps?

Jersey Mike’s
3510 Pentagon Blvd
Beavercreek Ohio 45431

This route has me end on New Germany Trebein Rd and does not tell me to turn right onto Pentagon Blvd.

Opened 2013

Thanks

Old 06-22-24, 08:45 AM
alextv
Instructor

You’re saying with my software updates and the paid navigation cloud, I should be seeing the latest maps?

Jersey Mike’s
3510 Pentagon Blvd
Beavercreek Ohio 45431

This route has me end on New Germany Trebein Rd and does not tell me to turn right onto Pentagon Blvd.

Opened 2013

Thanks
Yes...Tried google maps and perfect. Will try my out of subscription 2020 ES later. Also if someone with new interface will try to see if it is the cloud database error.
Old 06-22-24, 08:54 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

Yes...Tried google maps and perfect. Will try my out of subscription 2020 ES later. Also if someone with new interface will try to see if it is the cloud database error.
Great, Thank You

I also do fine on other apps.

So far, and I have to keep testing, seems not to do well when destination is within larger shopping complexes. And not necessarily large. As Jersey Mike’s has a couple other stores beside it and a Hotel behind it. And, that is all.

Was your “Yes” saying I should have latest Maps?

Thanks

Last edited by rugmankc; 06-22-24 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-22-24, 09:27 AM
alextv
Instructor

Great, Thank You

I also do fine on other apps.

So far, and I have to keep testing, seems not to do well when destination is within larger shopping complexes. And not necessarily large. As Jersey Mike’s has a couple other stores beside it and a Hotel behind it. And, that is all.

Was your “Yes” saying I should have latest Maps?

Thanks
You have the latest maps accessed from the cloud database and not your system memory.
rugmankc (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 10:03 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

You have the latest maps accessed from the cloud database and not your system memory.
One more address besides Jersey Mike’s. Don’t want to tie you up.

Submarine House Beavercreek Ohio. 3195 Dayton Xenia Rd. 45434.

Google and HERE We Go app took me right to it. My car Nav had me turn on to a Rodenbeck Dr going in opposite direction.
Old 06-22-24, 12:39 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Jersey Mike’s
3510 Pentagon Blvd
Beavercreek Ohio 45431

Opened 2013

Thanks
Hmm... I'm seeing differences in street naming around that address between Apple Maps, Google Maps, HERE WeGo map, Bing Maps, and Open Street Map.

The east-west 4 lane road in front of Jersey Mike’s is labelled Pentagon Blvd in Apple Maps, Google Maps, and with Open Street Map using Boulevard instead of Blvd. HERE WeGo map labels it as Pentagon Park Blvd. but shows Jersey Mike’s address as 3510 Pentagon Blvd. Bing Maps labels the road with New Germany Trebein Rd and shows Jersey Mike’s address as 3510 New Germany Trebein Rd.

With Apple Maps, Google Maps, Open Street Map, and HERE WeGo map that east-west 4 lane road as you go east changes into New Germany Trebein Rd after you go through the the intersection with N Fairfield Rd. Bing Maps as indicated above has no name change - just keeps using New Germany Trebein Rd. (I don't understand the "turn right onto Pentagon Blvd." - there's no turn going from New Germany Trebein Rd to Pentagon Blvd - it is just a name change as you go straight through the intersection.)

Unlike all the other maps, Apple Maps for that short north-south 2 lane road you have to turn onto to get to the entry to Jersey Mike’s parking labels that road Soin Medical Center Dr. (Google Maps and Bing Maps street views do show a street sign of Soin Medical Center Dr for that street.)

I just checked routing to Jersey Mike’s address with a 2024 Cloud Navigation system. While it's quite a drive from California, zooming in to the route end showed a pretty straight forward routing terminating in Jersey Mike’s parking lot. (The first routing preview did show an alternative slower route as well as the faster primary routing on getting to and traveling on the local vicinity Pentagon Blvd street segment returning to a single path route with the turn onto the short Soin Medical Center Dr.segment and following turn into Jersey Mike’s parking lot. There may be some time of day variation to the routing since a subsequent routing check had the route much sooner exiting freeway travel for local street travel to get to the local vicinity Pentagon Blvd street segment than the first route preview.)

There was one difference between the HERE WeGo map and the HERE based 2024 Cloud Navigation system map. HERE WeGo map labelled the street in front of Jersey Mike’s "Pentagon Park Blvd" whereas the Cloud Navigation system map used "Pentagon Blvd".
rugmankc (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 01:20 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Originally Posted by grp52
Hmm... I'm seeing differences in street naming around that address between Apple Maps, Google Maps, HERE WeGo map, Bing Maps, and Open Street Map.

The east-west 4 lane road in front of Jersey Mike’s is labelled Pentagon Blvd in Apple Maps, Google Maps, and with Open Street Map using Boulevard instead of Blvd. HERE WeGo map labels it as Pentagon Park Blvd. but shows Jersey Mike’s address as 3510 Pentagon Blvd. Bing Maps labels the road with New Germany Trebein Rd and shows Jersey Mike’s address as 3510 New Germany Trebein Rd.

With Apple Maps, Google Maps, Open Street Map, and HERE WeGo map that east-west 4 lane road as you go east changes into New Germany Trebein Rd after you go through the the intersection with N Fairfield Rd. Bing Maps as indicated above has no name change - just keeps using New Germany Trebein Rd. (I don't understand the "turn right onto Pentagon Blvd." - there's no turn going from New Germany Trebein Rd to Pentagon Blvd - it is just a name change as you go straight through the intersection.)

Unlike all the other maps, Apple Maps for that short north-south 2 lane road you have to turn onto to get to the entry to Jersey Mike’s parking labels that road Soin Medical Center Dr. (Google Maps and Bing Maps street views do show a street sign of Soin Medical Center Dr for that street.)

I just checked routing to Jersey Mike’s address with a 2024 Cloud Navigation system. While it's quite a drive from California, zooming in to the route end showed a pretty straight forward routing terminating in Jersey Mike’s parking lot. (The first routing preview did show an alternative slower route as well as the faster primary routing on getting to and traveling on the local vicinity Pentagon Blvd street segment returning to a single path route with the turn onto the short Soin Medical Center Dr.segment and following turn into Jersey Mike’s parking lot. There may be some time of day variation to the routing since a subsequent routing check had the route much sooner exiting freeway travel for local street travel to get to the local vicinity Pentagon Blvd street segment than the first route preview.)

There was one difference between the HERE WeGo map and the HERE based 2024 Cloud Navigation system map. HERE WeGo map labelled the street in front of Jersey Mike’s "Pentagon Park Blvd" whereas the Cloud Navigation system map used "Pentagon Blvd".
Wierd in the names. I drove there and my Nav took me there this time. I have to recheck when not here to see if route overview still shows it stopping at main intersection and not going into Jersey Mikes. The name on sign is Soin Medical Center Dr. Soin is the hospital name. After a big donor.

Last edited by rugmankc; 06-22-24 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-23-24, 11:10 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

Wierd in the names. I drove there and my Nav took me there this time. I have to recheck when not here to see if route overview still shows it stopping at main intersection and not going into Jersey Mikes. The name on sign is Soin Medical Center Dr. Soin is the hospital name. After a big donor.
I should add on my Car Nav the street name didn’t show. At top of screen showing the last right turn into Jersey Mikes it said “Unnamed Street “

Seems like there are some issues, but 99% of time seems ok. Most problems seem to be when the store sets right along highway, but you need to turn off highway to get to it. Its search doesn’t always find the store as quickly as Waze etc. Sometimes can’t find it till you type it in. As opposed to just speaking.

I tried CarPlay with the Carlinkit 5.0. Worked well, but trackpad a little too laggy being wireless. Guess I will use the OnBoard Nav everywhere I go even if I don’t need it just see how accurate it really is. Use CarPlay if I really need guidance and the OnBoard Nav doesn’t show an accurate route. I still like using it over the other Maps.