ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2021 ES350 Nav accuracy question--

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 03:41 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 ES350 Nav accuracy question--

I just traded in an RX350 for this car. It did not have Nav, used my iPhone and Google/Apple/Waze Maps. All were good and liked Waze for Police/Hazard information. They took me right to my destination.

Since this is a used purchase, don't think I have any trial with the cloud based Nav. Just the basic Nav, no updates. I don't see any cloud icons when seardching for a destination.

My issue with the onboard Nav--

It takes me too the last point on a main road, but not into the parking areas of shopping centers. It also took me pass the regular turn in to a grocery store and had me go down to the next light and do a U-Turn and come back to that turn-in. I need to use it more and go to house addresses and some other places like my hospital.

I tried these same addresses on Waze and Google maps and they showed my route into the parking areas and to the front of the store.

My question is--is the Onboard Nav that bad? Or, will it work correctly with a paid subscription of Dynamic Nav for the 2021 ES350?

I have Enform Remote, but didn't want to spend more money. I know I can continue to use Waze etc. But, that entails hooking up iPhone and loading CarPlay. Onboard Nav is there and ready to go. I really like the layout and screen colors and resolution. Plus, I am now use to the interface and voice commands. The wireless adapters still need plugged in and on my ES no easy place to leave it connected. Saw a forum here on that issue and there was no easy answer.

If this is how it will be, I will use Onboard Nav while driving around and CarPlay when I need accurate route guidance.

Maybe next time I can take a screen pic of the issue.

Thanks
Old 06-19-24, 05:44 PM
G1H1
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rugmankc
I just traded in an RX350 for this car. It did not have Nav, used my iPhone and Google/Apple/Waze Maps. All were good and liked Waze for Police/Hazard information. They took me right to my destination.

Since this is a used purchase, don't think I have any trial with the cloud based Nav. Just the basic Nav, no updates. I don't see any cloud icons when seardching for a destination.

My issue with the onboard Nav--

It takes me too the last point on a main road, but not into the parking areas of shopping centers. It also took me pass the regular turn in to a grocery store and had me go down to the next light and do a U-Turn and come back to that turn-in. I need to use it more and go to house addresses and some other places like my hospital.

I tried these same addresses on Waze and Google maps and they showed my route into the parking areas and to the front of the store.

My question is--is the Onboard Nav that bad? Or, will it work correctly with a paid subscription of Dynamic Nav for the 2021 ES350?

I have Enform Remote, but didn't want to spend more money. I know I can continue to use Waze etc. But, that entails hooking up iPhone and loading CarPlay. Onboard Nav is there and ready to go. I really like the layout and screen colors and resolution. Plus, I am now use to the interface and voice commands. The wireless adapters still need plugged in and on my ES no easy place to leave it connected. Saw a forum here on that issue and there was no easy answer.

If this is how it will be, I will use Onboard Nav while driving around and CarPlay when I need accurate route guidance.

Maybe next time I can take a screen pic of the issue.

Thanks
I have a 2021 ES 350. The Onboard Navigation is the most unreliable of any navigation on any vehicle I have ever owned. An absolute joke. There are many things to love about this car. Navigation is not one of them. I haven’t used it since the first few months and multiple instances of bad information. The tech guru at the dealer said “just use Waze and Google like everybody else.”
The following 2 users liked this post by G1H1:
LexFinally (06-20-24), rugmankc (06-19-24)
Old 06-19-24, 06:06 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Originally Posted by G1H1
I have a 2021 ES 350. The Onboard Navigation is the most unreliable of any navigation on any vehicle I have ever owned. An absolute joke. There are many things to love about this car. Navigation is not one of them. I haven’t used it since the first few months and multiple instances of bad information. The tech guru at the dealer said “just use Waze and Google like everybody else.”
Thanks. Looks like Waze if I need reliable directions. Was just hoping not to have to hook up an additional accessory.

On another note, is your trackpad sometimes unresponsive? It will not want to move in the direction I am moving my finger. Especially on lists scrolling up and down. I need to use the slider bar. Not a big deal. But, I still have 6 months on Manufacture Warranty. Any issues I need to report before it runs out. My previous 2016 RX350 had the scroll ****.

Otherwise, this is a really nice car. Sharp styling and more responsive than the RX. Which wasn’t bad in of itself.
Old 06-20-24, 07:17 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I believe Lexus discontinued that version of the Enform system after MY2021. I have their new system in my 2024 and on several trips have it running while we use my wife’s iPhone running Waze - not connected to the car. The Lexus system is better at avoiding traffic and is quicker than Waze to calculate quicker routes. Just my experience.
Old 06-20-24, 05:24 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Does anyone think this inability to finish routes into business areas and take me to the exact store I asked to be taken to would be resolved by a subscription? I don’t see how.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (06-20-24)
Old 06-20-24, 09:14 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Does anyone think this inability to finish routes into business areas and take me to the exact store I asked to be taken to would be resolved by a subscription? I don’t see how.
Since the mapping data used for both the "old" Dynamic Navigation and the "new" Cloud Navigation is supplied by HERE, you can check the accuracy of the base map database in routing to an address by going to HERE WeGo and entering in the "Where to?" input field the address you want a route to. (The default starting point is what the system figures your current location is but that can be changed to a different starting address after the "Directions" button is clicked on.)

If you don't get good routing to an address with the HERE WeGo web site, you aren't going to get good routing with your Lexus ES navigation system since both are using the same base mapping data. If you don't have an active (trial or paid) Dynamic Navigation subscription the web site may be using more up-to-date mapping data than the onboard stored map database that is only current to the dated version installed at the factory or the revised version installed as part of a Dynamic Navigation subscription renewal.
rugmankc (06-21-24)
Old 06-21-24, 01:44 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

Originally Posted by grp52
Since the mapping data used for both the "old" Dynamic Navigation and the "new" Cloud Navigation is supplied by HERE, you can check the accuracy of the base map database in routing to an address by going to HERE WeGo and entering in the "Where to?" input field the address you want a route to. (The default starting point is what the system figures your current location is but that can be changed to a different starting address after the "Directions" button is clicked on.)

If you don't get good routing to an address with the HERE WeGo web site, you aren't going to get good routing with your Lexus ES navigation system since both are using the same base mapping data. If you don't have an active (trial or paid) Dynamic Navigation subscription the web site may be using more up-to-date mapping data than the onboard stored map database that is only current to the dated version installed at the factory or the revised version installed as part of a Dynamic Navigation subscription renewal.
Thanks, I got the app. Haven’t used in car yet. Will soon. But, putting in the destinations two of them took me into the parking lot areas and to the storefront. Didn’t stop me on main road. To be noted that final turn into the parking areas is actually a street with a name on the map. The third route I inputted still had me going to next light and making a u-turn then back up to the right turn into parking area. Instead of turning left thru a boulevard into the parking area. That left was still onto a named street and has been there for a long time. But, it still took me to the store.

So, to be clear if I I get the paid subscription this will work exactly the same on my 2021 ES350 as Dynamic Nav. The screen layout, color interface etc will not change from what I currently have on my car.

Thanks
Old 06-21-24, 08:08 AM
rugmankc
Rookie

I subscribed to one month of Dynamic Nav for their 8.00. I now see it updating route with the cloud symbol. Still doesn't take me to the exact store.

When I go into Map Data it shows a recent version date of 4/2020. Assume that is version date.

I can then click on Update Map. But, says I can't do that and need to go to dealer. Am I not already updated with my Subscription?

I did call dealer on the issue with no real answer.

Maybe someone who has a Subscription for Dynamic Nav on their 2021(?) ES can let me know if they have same issue I have.

Thanks

Last edited by rugmankc; 06-21-24 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-21-24, 12:28 PM
grp52
Instructor

I subscribed to one month of Dynamic Nav for their 8.00. I now see it updating route with the cloud symbol. Still doesn't take me to the exact store.

When I go into Map Data it shows a recent version date of 4/2020. Assume that is version date.

I can then click on Update Map. But, says I can't do that and need to go to dealer. Am I not already updated with my Subscription?

I did call dealer on the issue with no real answer.

Maybe someone who has a Subscription for Dynamic Nav on their 2021(?) ES can let me know if they have same issue I have.

Thanks
I can't find it anymore on the Lexus web site but the terms for Dynamic Navigation subscription renewal was $169 for a two year period which included an onboard map database update to the latest version. You had the option of downloading and installing map database update yourself or having the dealer do the update for an additional service fee. I renewed my subscription through my dealer and had them do the map database update. (I'm not sure why but I only got charged for the subscription renewal with no additional service fee for the database update installation.)

The process for updating the onboard map database involves downloading the latest revised map database file onto a USB flash drive, connecting that USB flash drive to one of the data capable USB A ports (i.e., one of the two front console USB A ports), and then going through the multimedia system file upload/update process (having not done that I'm pretty fuzzy on the details on that).

Since I can't find a detailed Dynamic Navigation subscription renewal process on the Lexus web site (or even know if the user download and update option exists anymore), I think you're going to have resort to having a Lexus dealer do the onboard map database update for you. Be aware the dealer's service and parts departments may not know exactly what's needed to do the update. Since my 2019 ES was the first one they had encountered for a map database update, they thought they needed to pre-order a SD card based update only to figure out once my ES was in the shop all that was needed was a TechStream download of the map database update file and the USB flash drive update process. (There was an updating complication in that the file got installed in the navigation system but the old version date and expired was still showing on the map data screen. After quite a few rounds of try this, didn't work between the dealer's service techs and corporate tech support, the issue was finally fixed.) (I don't think the 2021 version of map data has an expiration date listed anymore but a successful update should show a newer version date in map data screen.)

In regards to the dealer not having a real answer, you might want to download the Lexus 2021 MY CONNECTED SERVICES TRIAL, RENEWAL AND APPLICABILITY chart (see my Real World Dynamic Subscription Ended post #21 for the download link) so you can point out the "Dealer Installed 2-Year Renewal. $169 MSRP (Before Dealer Installation)" Dynamic Navigation renewal term for a 2021 ES equipped with Navigation. Also, if your dealer is locally close you'll probably get a better result by visiting the dealership and talking directly to one the the service managers about getting the map database update. For some reason or other, service managers even if they don't immediately know the answer are usually more motivated to find the answer when there's a customer standing in front of them asking the question.

Last edited by grp52; 06-21-24 at 12:30 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling typo
Old 06-21-24, 12:37 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

I can't find it anymore on the Lexus web site but the terms for Dynamic Navigation subscription renewal was $169 for a two year period which included an onboard map database update to the latest version. You had the option of downloading and installing map database update yourself or having the dealer do the update for an additional service fee. I renewed my subscription through my dealer and had them do the map database update. (I'm not sure why but I only got charged for the subscription renewal with no additional service fee for the database update installation.)

The process for updating the onboard map database involves downloading the latest revised map database file onto a USB flash drive, connecting that USB flash drive to one of the data capable USB A ports (i.e., one of the two front console USB A ports), and then going through the multimedia system file upload/update process (having not done that I'm pretty fuzzy on the details on that).

Since I can't find a detailed Dynamic Navigation subscription renewal process on the Lexus web site (or even know if the user download and update option exists anymore), I think you're going to have resort to having a Lexus dealer do the onboard map database update for you. Be aware the dealer's service and parts departments may not know exactly what's needed to do the update. Since my 2019 ES was the first one they had encountered for a map database update, they thought they needed to pre-order a SD card based update only to figure out once my ES was in the shop all that was needed was a TechStream download of the map database update file and the USB flash drive update process. (There was an updating complication in that the file got installed in the navigation system but the old version date and expired was still showing on the map data screen. After quite a few rounds of try this, didn't work between the dealer's service techs and corporate tech support, the issue was finally fixed.) (I don't think the 2021 version of map data has an expiration date listed anymore but a successful update should show a newer version date in map data screen.)

In regards to the dealer not having a real answer, you might want to download the Lexus 2021 MY CONNECTED SERVICES TRIAL, RENEWAL AND APPLICABILITY chart (see my Real World Dynamic Subscription Ended post #21 for the download link) so you can point out the "Dealer Installed 2-Year Renewal. $169 MSRP (Before Dealer Installation)" Dynamic Navigation renewal term for a 2021 ES equipped with Navigation. Also, if your dealer is locally close you'll probably get a better result by visiting the dealership and talking directly to one the the service managers about getting the map database update. For some reason or other, service managers even if they don't immediately know the answer are usually more motivated to find the answer when there's a customer standing in front of them asking the question.
Thanks for the info,

You are right on going in. The tech on the phone was relatively new. And, I can show them my issues while in the car. I have a good relationship there. Been buying new cars from them since 1998.

I just need to know 100% I am updated. Then it is what it is. If needed, I go the Waze route. But, would like this to work. Do t want the extra cables.

Thanks Again

Old 06-21-24, 01:01 PM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I just checked my home address on that website because neither Google Maps or Apple Maps even show my house - it was built in 2021 - or the correct location. This website shows the exact location of my home and when I used the satellite it actually shows the home itself. Google and Apple show nothing but woods and both are off about 1/2 mile. I'm impressed.
Old 06-21-24, 01:08 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

What grp52 is saying is the embedded map on your system itself needs to be updated with the latest data and that is not done with a month subscription. That updated map data that would be installed has nothing to do with the cloud and when that 2 year runs out you will have the updated maps still on your system just not dynamic without subscription. As for the tech at Lexus dealerships there is generally only one of them that knows anything. With the cloud you are getting updated data just not stored in your system in permanent memory. Call the parts dept and service dept.
rugmankc (06-21-24)
Old 06-21-24, 01:15 PM
rugmankc
Rookie

Originally Posted by alextv
What grp52 is saying is the embedded map on your system itself needs to be updated with the latest data and that is not done with a month subscription. That updated map data that would be installed has nothing to do with the cloud and when that 2 year runs out you will have the updated maps still on your system just not dynamic without subscription. As for the tech at Lexus dealerships there is generally only one of them that knows anything. With the cloud you are getting updated data just not stored in your system in permanent memory. Call the parts dept and service dept.
Thanks I understand now

But, do you think that will solve my problem of the Nav finishing my route?

Last edited by rugmankc; 06-21-24 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-21-24, 02:33 PM
grp52
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastDawg
I just checked my home address on that website because neither Google Maps or Apple Maps even show my house - it was built in 2021 - or the correct location. This website shows the exact location of my home and when I used the satellite it actually shows the home itself. Google and Apple show nothing but woods and both are off about 1/2 mile. I'm impressed.
In case you aren't aware of it, both Google Maps and Apple Maps have feedback forms where you can report issues with their maps. (HERE also has forms for reporting map issues and a while age a forum poster got his Lexus Navigation home address wrong map location fixed by reporting the problem to HERE and Lexus customer support reporting messaging.)

For Apple Maps, look for "Report an Issue" (where it is found depends upon the Mac, iPad, or iPhone Maps app). In the past I've reported address issues with Apple Maps and although it took a while I received a "we fixed it" email from the Apple Maps support team.

If you do report the issue to Google and/or Apple, suggest you include the HERE street and satellite view URLs of your home's neighborhood area location (nearest street intersection to your home should be good enough) so the map support people investigating your report can quickly find the exact location area your reporting the issue on.

While it can be a bother to report map issues, remember if the map support people don't know about a map problem the odds of the problem getting fixed are slim to none.
Old 06-21-24, 03:14 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanks I understand now

But, do you think that will solve my problem of the Nav finishing my route?
No the cloud should have the most resent data for the route. One thing to point out is that it is network dependent so without network unless it cached the new data from the cloud it would default back to what is on memory in your system. You can get off a route caused by a detour and end up with out cell coverage and depend on the internal memory. It happens. To me that is a big downside of the new systems that are subscription based only and then have to depend on offline downloaded map on phone to set you straight.

Quick Reply: 2021 ES350 Nav accuracy question--