ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Difference between Premium Luxury and UL

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-24, 10:39 AM
jediweapon
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Premium Luxury and UL

I just bought a 2020 ES 350 Luxury, what is the difference between the premium, luxury and UL? Do they change the suspension or anything between these trims?
Old 06-24-24, 10:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I believe its the laminated glass (new camry comes with that now), the chassis dampers, and the wheels. then you have what other options those packages get bundled with like rear sun shade, etc. seats may be different too. i believe the avs suspension thing is standalone or for f sport but i havent kept up with the ES in a while. Ask Mike. He's the expert around here.
Old 06-24-24, 11:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I believe its the laminated glass (new camry comes with that now), the chassis dampers, and the wheels. then you have what other options those packages get bundled with like rear sun shade, etc. seats may be different too. i believe the avs suspension thing is standalone or for f sport but i havent kept up with the ES in a while. Ask Mike. He's the expert around here.
My ES FSport is actually SANS AVS!
Old 06-24-24, 11:44 AM
ndunn
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe a Luxury can be optioned up to an UL with a few exclusions such as the side rear sun screens. What else?

Is the laminated glass also exclusive?
Old 06-24-24, 01:02 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 331 Posts

Goggle the MY 2020 brochure. It will spell it out in detail in the final several pages.
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (06-24-24)
Old 06-25-24, 12:48 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ndunn
I believe a Luxury can be optioned up to an UL with a few exclusions such as the side rear sun screens. What else?
My wife's 19 ES300h is a Luxury, with Nav, Levinson, triple Beam lights, Head up display, power rear sunshade, Blind spot, hands free trunk, etc, etc. So it's very close to UL, if not there.
Old 06-25-24, 01:35 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

UL also gets you bragging rights.
Old 06-25-24, 01:36 PM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

For MY 2020 per the brochure:

PREMIUM PACKAGE A Lexus Memory System for driver’s seat, outside mirrors and steering wheel Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column Rain-sensing windshield wipers Heated and ventilated front seats Power-folding outside mirrors

ES 350 LUXURY Includes ES 350 features and Premium Package, plus: Wood trim with ambient lighting Perforated leather interior trim Driver’s-seat power cushion extender 14-way power-adjustable front seats

ES 350 ULTRA LUXURY Includes ES 350 Luxury features and adds or replaces: Perforated semi-aniline leather interior trim Power rear sunshade with manual rear-door sunshades Power open/close trunk with kick sensor, Lateral performance dampers

Last edited by Myshkyn; 06-25-24 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 10:42 AM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

The trims are base, luxury, ultra luxury. Premium is a package.
Old 06-26-24, 02:13 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Denzlex
The trims are base, luxury, ultra luxury. Premium is a package.
F Sport is also officially a trim with 2 variants for MY 23&24.
Just for added clarity, commonly added equipment that is NEVER standard on any ES version would be: (this means it’s always a separate msrp/cost as dealer installed options/optional equipment. )

pano roof
ML audio
triple beam headlights
smart access key card (unless part of new Technology package) or as a standalone option for Ultra Luxury

Prem package is available on base trims only.
Tech. Package available on all trims except UL.

2023-2024 Lexus ES Trims:
Base:
* ES 250 AWD
* ES 350
* ES 300h
F Sport:
* ES 250 AWD F Sport Design
* ES 350/300h F Sport Design
* ES 350/300h F Sport Handling
Luxury:
* ES 250 AWD/350/300h Luxury
* ES 250 AWD/350/300h Ultra Luxury

There is a bit of nuance with Lexus terminology so I’ll try to decode.

Lexus Terminology Clarification:

* Model: Refers to the overall car line, in this case, the Lexus ES.

* Trim: Represents a specific version of the model with distinct features and equipment levels. Examples in the ES lineup include the Base, F Sport, Luxury, and Ultra Luxury trims.

* Grade: Often used interchangeably with "trim," but can sometimes refer to a specific configuration within a trim level. For example, the ES 350 and ES 300h are different grades within the F Sport Design trim.

* Package: Typically refers to a collection of optional features that can be added to a specific trim level. In the ES lineup, the Premium and new Technology package are examples.

In the context of the Lexus ES F Sport, it's should be further clarified that "F Sport Design" and "F Sport Handling" are not separate trims but rather variants within the F Sport lineup. They build upon the base trim levels (ES 250 AWD, ES 350, ES 300h) with varying degrees of sporty aesthetics and performance enhancements.
Essentially an F Sport starts life as a base model trim with premium package levels of equipment as “standard” before any F Sport specific features or equipment are added.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 06-26-24 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 08:45 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by jediweapon
I just bought a 2020 ES 350 Luxury, what is the difference between the premium, luxury and UL? Do they change the suspension or anything between these trims?
Yes, depending on MY and trim, there are also differences in seating material, leather, and certain subtle suspension differences, i.e. AVS (F Sport) and Performance dampers. Feature, package, and trim levels have evolved several times in the last few years.

Standard Equipment: Each trim level comes with a specific set of standard features included in the base price. These standard features really set one trim apart from another and define the trim.

Optional Equipment: These are additional features and/or equipment that can be added to a trim level for an extra cost. These features have their own MSRP. While they can improve the overall experience, they don't define the trim itself. For example, on a base ES model, you can add a Mark Levinson audio system, triple beam headlights, and a panoramic glass roof, but only in conjunction with the Premium package. However, it will still be considered a base trim due to the other standard features it lacks compared to higher trims. Basically, without the Premium package, you can't even get the rear spoiler on a purely base model. In fact, about the only upgrade or optional equipment that doesn't require the premium package as a bare minimum is the Smart Access Key Card. Each trim level typically builds upon the previous one, adding more features, luxury, and, in some cases, performance enhancements. The new technology package for 2024 closes the previous gap, allowing lower trim levels to access certain options without being bundled with features a buyer may not want. Basically, it offers more feature customization.